ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ferodo DS 2500 issue

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Car went for an mot the other day and passed but advised on the pads, so today fitted some Mintex 1166 and was shocked by the condition of the old pad:( Has anyone else had this issue??

IMG_2002_zps229e6de5.jpg

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
The reason I would never fit them, there have been several instances of this happening over on CT.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yep. Mine completely disintegrated on track after 4-5 laps. I certainly won't be using them again!

RB 182
I've been using DS2500 & DS3000's for over 4 years now, not had any issues with them and I'm quite heavy on the brake pedal. Could this just be a bad batch? I'll check my current ones over the weekend.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Deffo heat related damage pictured above but I am also a huge hater of the DS2500 (love my DS3000's though).

RB 182
I think it was Freddy that told me to put some heat cycles into them before properly hammering them on track or for road use, I think they need to be properly cured. The only issue I've ever had was using the 2500 compound on 4 pot willwoods. They only come with 4-5mm of material on so didn't last more than a day on track :(

Crap pads imo, but the common thing i have noticed is folk not filing enough off them or leaving the shims in place which once hot they stick and get even hotter, hence the disintergration like above....

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I had them on the trophy and they were great, just thought I'd try something different hence the 1166s

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I was guilty of following the masses with a set and they didn't last a day ata Bedford and i'm no sbridgey

As a road pad they are fine but they seem to be rated as a track pad when they're not. For the money there is far better out there for less. The M1144 being one but even the standard Brembo compound I personally rate as batter.

172/B8 Quattro
Ds2500 are not 'actually' a track/race pad and they leave huge deposits on discs that cause judder
And very overpriced for a 'fast road' pad. I'd get £20+ pagids for road use over them.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
I think if I decide to keep my car for another year I will be investing in a set of DS3000's I think..........

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
DS3000's are awesome, but I would probably try a set of Yellowstuffs for half the price if I ever got a clio again.

DS3000's are just too expensive and dont last a particularly long either, well with me driving anyways... :race:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My DS2500's lasted ages and still had 50% left when i took them out actually, but they did cause awful juddering when hot.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
DS3000's are just too expensive and dont last a particularly long either, well with me driving anyways... :race:

I know you said "with you" but mine are still going strong Simon but you did absolutely crucify yours to be fair. I've done 5 full on days now and not half way thru them yet. To me it's £150 for pads that work for me on standard discs and setup vs spending close on £1k for something better.

A single set of DS3000's with some Brembo HC discs a year is an acceptable cost to me for the role they perform.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I know you said "with you" but mine are still going strong Simon but you did absolutely crucify yours to be fair. I've done 5 full on days now and not half way thru them yet. To me it's £150 for pads that work for me on standard discs and setup vs spending close on £1k for something better.

A single set of DS3000's with some Brembo HC discs a year is an acceptable cost to me for the role they perform.

If you want me to help you finish yours off, let me know ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I rate them but because they allow me to brake progressively/normally for longer meaning I can stay out and burn more fuel or if I need to go hard on I have the option.

Brakes are like tyres though in that setups and "feel" is entirely personal but this works great for me.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Never had problems with my DS2500 on track. Try not to put too much heat in, get the braking done quickly and carry a bit more speed.

They're not the best pad granted, but the dust doesn't eat paint and they're a decent all rounder.

I will be trying Yellowstuff next, At £60ish for a set its worth a go. I haven't got on with them previously but I'll give them a go on the Clio.

340i
I liked the DS2500's as a road pad on my 172, good cold bite and the stopping power was progressive with road heat levels.

on track I experienced massive fade after a few hot laps!

If you're a real man get PF97's, the braking power was comparable with throwing an anchor out of the car and NO fade. But they are a full race pad, they used around 1 set of pads to 3 sets of discs.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Well i hammered my DS2500 hard for 100+ laps of brands and they were top notch all day. Definitely has to be a bad batch or incorrect fitting thats cause the afformentioned.

i use 2500 on my focus but with a standard disc not grooved. they have done 3 track days and still going strong.plenty of life left. i have got air ducts though for cooling so that may help.my brother wore a set of yellowstuffs in one day of llandow with a grooved disc and felt no better than a standard pad to him