ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Feeling quick and being quick

Do people think cars can feel quick when in fact they are not?

The reason I ask is that I drove a friends Impreza today, its an X plate "Classic" shape UK Turbo with no mods. Thing is, it felt *much* quicker than my Cup when accelerating at any speed, it didnt have the point and go handling, but punch when you wanted to overtake was fantastic.

From what Ive read there isnt suppossed to be much in it between these models and a 172/Cup/182 and I have been told "Dont be fooled by the feeling of a turbo", but it did feel quicker.

Are these really so much faster than the Renaultsport Clios, or is it just the feeling of it, i.e. through the gears they are well matched?

maybe ur getting confused with the sensation of commin on boost, which is a deeply sensual addictive feeling, favoured be the most hardcore petrol heads;)

besides u will come on boost earlier in a preza than a cup comes on cam, hence maybe the sensation of power being developed earlier, more torque (pin u in the seat) blah

Clio 200 Cup packed

my astra turbo does feel much quicker than my 182 even though on paper its not...

imo its definatley a turbo kick thing....

Yeah - thats what Im wondering, problem is I really liked it ;)

It did feel silly quick when driving down a country road and accelerating past a couple of cars - I was not expecting them to have such instant acceleration but I still cant work out whether it was just the boost sensation i.e. my Clio would be just as quick but without the punch?? :confused:

Should I be feeding my new found addiction by buying one?

remember ur on a clio forum my friend, i can feel cup owners ready to pounce as we speak;)

ive driven a couple of scoobs in various tune, i know where my wedge would go.

each to there own etc etc

I love my Cup to bits - its great, and whenever I chat with people thinking of buying a quick car I always get them to consider a 172/182.

I suppose its like the girl you cheated on your missus with - she gets stuck in your head and you cant help think that you would rather have her (ooer, not advocating cheating on partners before anyone shouts at me!?).

So do I stick with the Wife that has treated me well, or do I run off with the bit on the side??

Nippy white cup

And I am that Cup owner! lol I have had a few races with my m8s Classic (246bhp proven) and from say 60 ish upto over a 100 there isnt a wheels gap between us, and yes he does know how to drive! I know that with a few very small mods he will fly off and, from low revs off say a roundabout he will pull away easily until I come on cam where it evens out.

Please dont put me into this bracket of Cup drivers thinking they are invincible because thats getting boring now....there is never as many arguements when a 16v/williams has a close race with a faster car....

Chris

[Edited by Chris nnic on 25 July 2004 at 11:01pm]

My mate has a Leon Cupra and that feels quick and real planted through roundabouts but on paper i dont think theres anything in it between my car and his.

182, GTR, C63

Cup feels quick but turbo cars ive been in feel quicker. Probably cus they are but i did once have a ride in a standard wrx. It did have a lil more punch than the clio but never did the punch feel addictive. Not the case when i went in the jap spec sti type ra. Timruds corsa which i keep talking about felt fast as f*ck. 325hp if your wondering why a corsa felt fast compared with a cup.

I really want a turbo car next. Probably go for an ibiza cupra 212bhp and tune it to 300bhp. baaaarrrrrtish!

[Edited by DoddCup on 26 July 2004 at 12:06am]

Nissan Jewk

my bike feels quick and is quick! saying that, so is my 172... quicker than a cup anyways :p

i do feel that my 172 is not quick, however, when i look at the speedo... it reads 80. figured the chasis have attributed much to the stability and solid handling.

172 cup

The feeling of acceleration is closely related to the power/torque curves between turba and N/A cars.

Turbo cars feel quicker because the power comes in very suddenly, but in reality, the are often not as quick as they feel.

In turbo cars, the power is less useable, naturaly aspirated engines are generally speaking, the choice of drivers. I used to have turbo cars, but Id never go back now, you dont feel connected to them in the same way.

As an example, my friend owned a 300zx, twin turbo 300bhp, which was a nice quick car, and I owned a 170 bhp elise at the time. The 300 felt quicker to be in, but when we put them side by side I sailed past him like he was stood still. We were both suprised at the result.

In a nutshell, its not the steepness of the power curve that results in true speed, its the area beneath it. Depends what you are really interested in, but personally I no longer get a kick from the surge of a turbo car. Having said that, it was a lot of fun while it lasted, and sometimes you just need to get certain things out of your system.

Its all down to torque, the higher the torque the stronger an engine will pull! Thats why turbo diesels feel really quick. The reason why they are comparable to normally aspirated petrol cars is because they run out of revs sooner, so you have to change gear earlier.