ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Federal 595RSR Tyre Pressure

Hey guys,

With the Federal 595RSR becoming more popular on the forum I thought it would be appropriate for people to put up the tyre pressures they use and a rough setup of their car so people with similar setups can give them a try.

My setup is:
26psi front (cold)
23psi rear (cold)
Standard dampers, Cooksport springs with Whiteline ARB set on hard.

I don't find it too bad but there is definitely room for improvement, I've only done one track day on the tyres also.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I find posting Hot temps are a better guide than cold. Temps can vary on the same car and setup track to track and day to day depending on weather amongst other things, Where as if you have a guide Hot temp to work against its a bit easier IMO.

FWIW I ran RSR's in my Old track spec Fiesta which was around 1000kgs and 150bhp at 32 PSI Hot on the Front and 30 on the rear IIRC.

On the Megane with the RSR i ran them at 36 Hot Front and 32 Hot Rear.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I can tell you that they don't work well at around 30psi cold, I made that mistake at Donington and had lots of squealing

I find posting Hot temps are a better guide than cold. Temps can vary on the same car and setup track to track and day to day depending on weather amongst other things, Where as if you have a guide Hot temp to work against its a bit easier IMO.

FWIW I ran RSR's in my Old track spec Fiesta which was around 1000kgs and 150bhp at 32 PSI Hot on the Front and 30 on the rear IIRC.

On the Megane with the RSR i ran them at 36 Hot Front and 32 Hot Rear.

I agree, unfortunately we didn't have anything reliable to check pressures when they were hot without letting loads of air out. I need to get hold of a decent pressure reader.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've readhighet
I agree, unfortunately we didn't have anything reliable to check pressures when they were hot without letting loads of air out. I need to get hold of a decent pressure reader.

Ive got a halfords digital one, seems fine and dont think it was that expensive mate

38 front and 35 rear for me in the RSr's. Higher pressures than others seem to prefer, I know. But I like the precision it gives and don't mind a little slip to nudge up to when feeling for the grip available, whereas I really hate the feel of an overworked/underinflated tyre.

...thats hot pressures, no point in comparing cold as has already been said

yep. have you tried it?

was doing 1:51's at cadwell park end of october, standard 182 (bar pads tyres and camber bolts), 2-up, full interior. I've found in all the cars I've had, all the tyres I've run that I just like higher pressures

Last edited:
I've only had the one set on the clio and will need a new pair for the front when I put the 16's back on (winter 15's currently). I've a mate who runs a Trophy and (bar Trophy dampers) runs pretty much exact same spec as me and we run the tyres at taround those pressures. It works very well for tyre wear, where going lower runs on the sidewall if you trail brake heavilly. That speaks volumes really. I never worked out why so much love out there for leeping pressues down, but everyone finds their own prefference I guess.

RS-R seems an acceptable track orientated but road suitable tyre for me. Best I've had, but surely there are better track-only tyres

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
intersting mate, thanks. have you others to compare against? so im assuming 32 cold, ish?

no idea cold. RE cadwell - I did the 200 miles down from Otterburn at 5 am with regular (33psi) front pressure. After first sesssion they were at 38, which I'd anticipated, and after second they were over 40, so I dropped down to 38 and maintained there for rest of day checking after every session.

Others being Hankook RS-2, classic scooby - STi v2 - which managed 1:58 around cadwell in 2010 (search youtube for "RS4 cadwell park" and I'm the red wagon, the black clio ahead of me is the mate who now owns the Trophy. I digresss...)... and other road sports tyre like michelins PE2 and contisports. T1-R's etc. Feds much, much better on track than those, but pressures still seem to be comparable.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
thanks mate. looking at the times posted, you did 1.51 in the current clio. driver aside that seems quick incomparison to the scoob

Those times were both on EBC yellowstuff pads as well, but yeah its suprising how slow the scooby was (hit around 112 on park straight vs clio at indicated 105 for example), but was just not able to turn in at speed.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
My setup also depended on how many R or L corners the track has.
26 cold all round was a good starting point that was used daily

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If it's a cold day, say 4/5 degrees roughly speaking where to start?

Same with a warm day etc

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
I guess that I'm kind of lucky, as I have a Radical SR3RS as well as my 182. Much as I love the Radical, the 182 offers more smiles per mile on track (and it has a roof and a heater for poor weather) and I reckon that I pretty much get the best out of it. The Radical is in a different league in speed terms, but trusting the aero grip is a massive leap of faith that sometimes I can't quite manage!