ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fed up of Renault crap

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

After years of Renault ownership, im really starting to dislike them. Brilliant cars to drive, handle great, and are fast, but im getting so fuked off with the build quality and constant reliablility problems.

The yellow beast has generally been ok, apart from an odd running problem, snapped clutch cable and pedal! consiquencly causing me 2 weeks out of a month struggling to get to and from work.

my old 16v, had something go wrong every other week, to the point it was mint as id replaced just about everything possible.

my mates got a mk1 172 with 30k on it, and the gearbox is now f**ked costing him over a grand for a recon and fitting.

my mums RT with 30k on it had the sump go, and thats a car thats been looked after better than any i know.

I know all cars have their probs, but I feel as though every time i drive the car something is gonna fuk up!

After a few more months fun with the 2.0 i think its time for something reliable.

as my mate said to me last weekend, hes thinking of getting another valver from a jap car cos hes got nothing to do on a sunday as it never breaks down lol

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 04 August 2004

my mates got a mk1 172 with 30k on it, and the gearbox is now f**ked costing him over a grand for a recon and fitting.
thats worrying, im coming up to 28k the now

Well thats now why i own a BMW Mini, initially i could outweigh the problems with the character etc. but eventually all that b****cks just wasnt enough. I still have the Clio but i actually hate the thing, cant wait till its gone!

-Rob

The Jinx

Yeah cos MINIs have no problems. My mates clutch failed at 25k miles, washer bottle and header tanks are prone to splitting as well.

Its all the luck of the draw TBH. You can get sh*tters and non-sh*tters from any country. Even Japan.

well ive had my n reg valver since 60k and its on 79k now, and this is whats gone wrong since ive had it........

new front shocks

new front wheel bearings

new anti roll bars

new track rod ends

new rocker cover gasket

clutch cable snapped

oh and just about to fit new disks and pads all round!

most of the above is because its so slammed, but hey thats life! otherwise mines been ultra reliable and great!!! cant fault it at all!!

Nissan Jewk

my 172 has been fine touch wood. Only had the backbox corrode clean off, the wiper arm to snap in two, faulty standard cd changer causing a flat battery and the alarm going off randomly for no reason.

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 04 August 2004

Yeah cos MINIs have no problems. My mates clutch failed at 25k miles, washer bottle and header tanks are prone to splitting as well.

Its all the luck of the draw TBH. You can get sh*tters and non-sh*tters from any country. Even Japan.
Newer models are much improved. When i pay £50 for 3 years servicing and have dealers who actually listen to me it will soften the blow if i get something going wrong!;)

-Rob

The Jinx

Admittedly the service you get from MINI is far superior. My mate didnt even have to ask about the warranty covering the clutch failure.

They just did it. And did hid washer bottle without him knowing it was a problem.

Now that would be a different story at Renault Im sure.

TDI tyre shreader

Ive had no major problems with my 172, interior light kept staying on and needed some computer changing, esp and serv light keep coming on but its going in tomorrow morning to have that fixed. You guys think you have problems all new cars are the same my mums beetle has been in and out of the vw garage about 15 times fixing problems.

for the past 25 years my paretns have only bought japanese or german cars. last year they had to get a mobility car for the first time, so there choice was limited as it is not their car. anyway thye bought a renault kangoo. they like the car but it keeps getting problems such as leaking, not starting and bits falling off.

my dad says it is the last time he gets anything french, apart from kissing haha lol

Id go along with that, my mums lupo diesel which she bought new has had loads and loads of problems. She got it because of VWs good build quality rep!!

Although Im thinking about getting something else again as my cars now has another clunking noise, the 4 k rattle etc etc. Best get on the phone to renault and see if they are of any use. If not then Ill be forced to move on....

Ive been lucky that in 1 1/2 years of ownership and 10,000 miles there has only been one actual fault (alarm went wonky).

Not too bad for a 9 year old car.

My girlfriends VTS has broken down 6 times in 6 months and once this week already. All different things. My mates VTR was the same unfortunatly although he didnt break down as much more went wrong.

could not agree more mate and also the more u mod it and/or harder you drive it *cough* thrash it *cough* expect even more to go wrong

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 04 August 2004

Newer models are much improved. When i pay £50 for 3 years servicing and have dealers who actually listen to me it will soften the blow if i get something going wrong!;)

-Rob

But you have to drive about in a dog slow car:(

K20 EG Hatch

the worse problem i have had with mine was the sh*t design of the ecu wirin cover, its metal an rubbed through the loom, this meant my car would run at about 5mph but no faster, renault couldnt work out what was wrong with the first day i took it so i took it home an my grandad found the problem. took it back the next day an they was pretty embarassed an fixed it there an then!