ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

faulty brake light

clio rxe
Hi, the NS brake light on my clio isn't lighting up. The bulb is fine, and when pedal is pushed 12v is going to the fitting, but when the bulb is pushed in or twist fitted it isn't lighting, can anyone advise?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
use a bulb that you are absolutely certain works, check the return path (Earth) then the connectors/connections. Conectors were knackered on my upper brake light recently, so by passed them and cut them out

if you have a live switched supply, and return path and a working bulb, theres nothing else that can go wrong

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I have volt meter that will show 12 volts is flowing. IE 2 probes, one on the live wire, and one on the other return cable on the connector. If you are getting 12v across the 2 wires that the bulb has plugged into it, then it shows that 12v is getting to the bulb, and then its the connector into the bulb is defective. You say you are getting 12 v but the electricity has to flow back too.

You can also put one probe end onto the live, and another to the earth of the car, and that should show 12v on the probe too

Probably making this sound way more complicated than it is

Its the return path, or the connector lampholder which the bulb fits into, or the bulb

clio rxe
so if it is the connector for th bulb that is gubbed am i looking at needing a complete new rear lighting unit?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
haven't explored that part of the car as haven't taken the fitting off, but very much doubt it. will be a new bulb holder that fits into the light unit I would have thought

Clio 172 Merc ML55
so if it is the connector for th bulb that is gubbed am i looking at needing a complete new rear lighting unit?

No just the bulb holder as previously mentioned, as said before check for power supply to the bulb, the connections that hold the bulb in place also act as the earthing g for the bulbs too so if these are corroded or damaged you'll have issues with the bulb working. If in doubt you could always