ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faster maybe ?

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
ok let me just say that im not an idiot that goes speeding around i just want to have the edge over my friends in the event of them putting thier foot down, so heres the problem i love my 1.2 clio grande (R reg) but because all my friends payed more for there cars the look down on it (as sad as it sounds) lol but i want to represent every clio owner and show them what owning a clio is all about lol. anyways i want to know every trick in the book on getting the edge on my friends, i know that saving weight is the best place to start but loosing the seats and stripping it isnt realy an option is there any "loose weight quick" tips appart from loosing the spare wheel and keeping the washer bottle empty lol also is there anything not to drastic i can do to the engine e.g seat valves or anything where i can try to regaing a few BHP because lets face it its a 1.2 and its 10 years old i dont expect it to be rapid and beat gsi turbos but i do want ti BLITZ my friends fiestas, puntos etc

any help is very much appreciated

thanks jamie

also is anyone selling any standard clio wheels because the steelies have to go lol and i have a 12 inch alpine sub that i payed £50 for not long ago but if i can save weight by getting rid of it its worth selling so make me an offer lol

thanks

Ph1 172 + Combo van
only way would be to strip eeeverything!

would need thousands spent on the engine to gain any type off increase in speed.

Turbo LY R27
but its only a 1.2? what do you really expect to get out of it?
it would be cheaper to buy another car.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 Grande
what sorta power are we talkin about with the alpine sub and can you get a picture or anything?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
take the stick and save up for something faster. No matter what you do to your 1.2 its still going to be crap unless of course you can save for a 2.0 engine transplant.

320d
A 1.2 8v isnt going to blitz punto's fiesta's etc. Mind you the old 1.3 fiesta's are very slow i actually did blitz my mate in one 1.2 16v, i mean by about 10 car lengths 30-70, not sure if he was it the right gear or w.e but anyway.

Stripping it and maybe a decat are the best ways to make it faster tbh.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
youre all getting the wrong idea i dont expect it to be maga fast but i do want it to be faster than my friends 1.2's and i can afford a sport but i cant afford sport insurance as i pay £2200 on my 1.2 lmao sorry if i gave the wrong idea i dont expect it to be fast just a little faster than my friends 1.2's lol

thanks jamie

clio trophy No56
Buy a daihatsu Charade GTTI just shy of 1 ltr, think they are about 998cc, a mate had one years ago and believe my it will wip a 1.2ltr any day, obviously they are old cars now so dont know if there will be any good ones left. Also i would imagine the insurance would be low. 0-60 about 8secs, 100bhp standard.
Here is a link, not saying its a good one like but you get the picture:-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/718875.htm

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
wont get much faster out a 1.2,wouldnt be noticeable,well would be noticeable on the wallet.waste of time m8,just bear with it until you can afford something faster then buy a sport etc.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Buy a daihatsu Charade GTTI just shy of 1 ltr, think they are about 998cc, a mate had one years ago and believe my it will wip a 1.2ltr any day, obviously they are old cars now so dont know if there will be any good ones left. Also i would imagine the insurance would be low. 0-60 about 8secs, 100bhp standard.
Here is a link, not saying its a good one like but you get the picture:-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/718875.htm

These are awesome little go-karts. They mostly look like slow OAP mobiles but they will embarrass a lot of things off the lights ! 99hp and about 750kgs = impressive P:W for a 993cc 3cyl engined car !

I sold mine to get the 172, and i miss it !!

Nissan 350z
A 1.2 8v should out perform a 1.2 16v off the mark. They tend to have more torque in the low ranges surprisingly, where as the 16v counterparts have a more stable top end (the 8v gets alittle wobbly lol).

In terms of performance theres very little you can do. The cheapest however would be to decat the car. Doing this would void your insurance so you have to declare the mod!

ph1 172
It was noisier, sounded ace, never saw another one on the road, and .. boost... boost was goooood.

It was just completely different so cant compare it to a 172, but yes I miss it :rasp:

:D

isnt that what yasser of here has swapped his 172 for?

ive heard they are all forged bottom end as standard and can take a stupid ammount of boost!!

Italian 3.2 V6
LIGHT LIGHT ALLOYS make a gr8 difference in all round performance, you can loose up to 30kg buying the correct set etc, p.s defo get rid of the sub, chavy and heavy!, make you car as light as poss to get the best out of it, get rid of spare wheel etc etc, But no point in wasting money on a non-worthy engine! ...also look into a good suspension kit and new decent brake calipers, that will get you up ther arses on the corners! dont go wasting your money on mods tht are way to much for the 1.2 save that extra cash for you next car.

good luck!

mx5
Kinda in the same position lol, cept the trouble is more keeping up with mates with 1.4s and 1.6s.
What revs do you change gear at when booting it? Driving it well will make as much/more difference than some mods.

Also as said look into some springs, should help the handling out, youll have em in the twisties :approve:

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
p4ersand chrisRJ great info thanks, and when booting it i usually change gear when i hear it redline or just before lol

You could always buy 8 more valves (Making it a 16v)
Remove the spare wheel, buy tyre weld!
Fold the back seats down, lowers the center of gravity! brmm faster car yo.

MCS R56
You could always buy 8 more valves (Making it a 16v)
Remove the spare wheel, buy tyre weld!
Fold the back seats down, lowers the center of gravity! brmm faster car yo.

Quality advice. Also try driving naked and getting as low as possible, like the seats.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
take out any un-necasary wieght such as floor mats, boot carpet and rubbish. remove your fog light bulbs and have no screen washer fluid to save extra weight;)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
take out any un-necasary wieght such as floor mats, boot carpet and rubbish. remove your fog light bulbs and have no screen washer fluid to save extra weight

as sad as it seems i do keep the washer bottle low, i have no floor mats, no fog lights and there is no un-necasary rubbish aswell lmao

jamie

Clio 197
You will probably find that the ones taking the piss will still have those motors in ten years anyway. I remember having my 1.2 fiesta which was puke green. I hated it and it was so slow, they started getting vtr's and the likes. They are still stuck with vtr's with lexus lights and now i roll around in a 197 which is slowly going to take shape and be modified. The way i look at it is, now whos laughing at who.

53 Clio's & counting
A 1.2 8v should out perform a 1.2 16v off the mark. They tend to have more torque in the low ranges surprisingly, where as the 16v counterparts have a more stable top end (the 8v gets alittle wobbly lol).

In terms of performance theres very little you can do. The cheapest however would be to decat the car. Doing this would void your insurance so you have to declare the mod!

8v's dont have more torque,its the way the power is delivered that makes it seem that way

ITB'd MK1
These are awesome little go-karts. They mostly look like slow OAP mobiles but they will embarrass a lot of things off the lights ! 99hp and about 750kgs = impressive P:W for a 993cc 3cyl engined car !

I sold mine to get the 172, and i miss it !!

heard there's only around 50 left on the road in the UK. superb little machines

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
i have a 1.2 RL. Bog standard. When i first had it, with steels on (13") i was faster than my mates new shape fiesta, punto, various corsa SXi crap, golf SDi, kept up with my dads golf TDi in lower gears and generally shocked quite a few people.

Do you not find your 1.2 to be extremly nippy compared to the others?

And your not alone with the mates cars thing. I have a R reg clio with no power steering/centerlocking/elec windows, totally bare. And my mate has a new shape vectra SRi, Audi A3, new astra's, BMWs, Mercs, VWs and all the others. But they are insured on there parents name and its more of their parents car. But this is my clio, my name on the docs, all mine, and get no claims too. So when i'm 25, i should be in a E39 M5 :D

Just take the abuse for now...seriously, you'll have the last laugh