ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Fast road car'

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I didn't say just coilovers - they asked how much a change in suspension could alter a car.
-3degrees of camber at front, -2.3 at back, and good spec coilovers with strut braces and ARB. All suspension changes ;)

Even with those changes as well as the coilovers, it shouldnt have been that far off the pace before, unless you have changed tyres as well it just implies there was a fault before (which could be as simple as the tracking being out)

Plus didnt you previously have completely shot track rod ends etc, sure that is what you said?

Last edited:
Even with those changes as well as the coilovers, it shouldnt have been that far off the pace before, unless you have changed tyres as well it just implies there was a fault before (which could be as simple as the tracking being out)

Plus didnt you previously have completely shot track rod ends etc, sure that is what you said?

Nope tracking was exactly the same as it is now - it was quite understeery as a standard car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nope tracking was exactly the same as it is now - it was quite understeery as a standard car

Was that cause it had knackered track rods etc?

Does make quite a big difference ;)

And of course means the tracking wasnt the same as it is now, as before it would have been changing constantly, so even if you got a readout saying the same, it would be different half a second later when the wheel turned.

clio 182 sport
But that's my point. Nobody can drive to the cars full potential on the road. So what's the point in adding stuff to it and calling it fast road?!

If you feel like that, get rid of your cars and go and buy a micra, everyone loves a good play on the roads every now and again.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you live in somerset and havent found a decent to drive road yet it must be true what people say about touching yourself making you go blind...

I don't live in Somerset you Northern Monkey.

If you feel like that, get rid of your cars and go and buy a micra, everyone loves a good play on the roads every now and again.

I drive a 1989 Orion as a daily that is capable of putting its wing mirrors on the tarmac whilst cornering and up until I put that on the road, a LWB Mercedes Sprinter...

My clios are used for track purposes only. My licence is my job so driving fast on the road does not interest me. Trying to take corners at 30mph more than a standard car is capable of certainly doesn't either.

I'm obviously far too sensible to own a 'fast road' car so i'll leave this thread now.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I live in Downend. I can be in Reading faster than I can be in Somerset!

Anyway, i'm out of this thread remember.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I think some people are getting the phrase Fast Road and trackday car/road legal track car mixed up. If the car is built to perform well on a track, and is actually used for that purpose, then that is OK. That is not what 'Fast Road' means.

Fast Road means building a car with similar specifications, but for the explicit purpose of getting the new lap record of the B4952.

Clio 182 FF
Because fastroadcar.
They are definately the worst owners for having cars with 20 year old track rod ends or tracking out, or knackered shocks etc but still assuming just cause its a westy it must still handle well.
Also doesn't help that the factory aren't (or definitely weren't) all that clued up.

I remember when having the handling properly sorted* it turned out that the ride heights the factory claimed they'd set the car to were impossible to achieve in standard spec (had paid them to set it up and prep for SVA). They then said that it was because the car had settled since and claimed that gravity made it settle upwards!

A properly sorted one with a driver who knows what they're doing (the old man not me!) is great mind. IIRC last few times round Combe it's only been the Radicals come past him.

*Shoutout for Dave Pillinger Motorsport and Track Developments who definitely know their stuff (both in Somerset :rasp:).

You can set up a factory stock westfield to be ok on track but not great just sorting the geo .... brakes are completely fine with a decent pad ... spring rates are the biggest game changer along with a track tyre

Caterhams and westfields feel so different on track its amazing

impreza wagon S2000
But yeah it's like OEM+ wtf is that about too?

Minor tweaks to an relatively standard looking car, best modding ethos out there imho.

Pet hate; caged road car...gonna wear a lid when you pop down to the shops Mr Stig?

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I refer to mine as a fast road car, it doesnt go on track, it has a full interior, air con, all sound deadning fitted, standard exhaust.

But it also has a nice suspension setup, getting bigger brakes and low boost conversion.

That to me is the best way to describe fast road!