ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Jeremey Townsend (new ClioSport)

Jeremey,

If you can, I and Im sure a good deal of others would appreciate if these answers can be er..answered!

Regarding the new ClioSport. Is there a launch date planned as of yet? And also, will the model be the 'soft' version from the start or will it be offered straight away with the Cup packs, or whatever the marketing department call it this time?

If you can answer either of those it would be great, it would help me a great deal in planning for my next car.

many thanks

Steve

Mini Cooper S sport
16k? That's a lot for a Clio, even the RS version. Think I'll be hanging onto my 182 for some time.

Lee

BMW M2C
Similar to the Focus ST the Clio will come with different options to suit the trim and price you want to pay.

The Focus does seem a bargain I love the way the Clio feels very small and nippy tho, reading the various reviews of the Focus and others such as VXR, GOLF and 225 there seems to be something lost in the upsizing of the Hot Hatch.

So..unless Renault manage to screw the next one up its an RS Renaultsport ClioSport 2.0 16v for me ;)

The New Clio Renaultsport will be at the Geneva show in March with the first cars arriving here in May. All the details, spec and prices will be available towards the end of Feb.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lets hope they get the suspension right from day one instead of bringing out extras like the cup suspension at a later date . Seems like Renault admitted that they got the supsension set up wrong if they have to bring out a cup pack later on .IMO i think the 172 handles like a sack of sh*te . My old Pug 306 s16 would out handle any 172 round bends , especially roundabouts . Pity the engine and clutch went titsup at the same time ,lol .

MrBillyUK !

Racin Blue 182
MRBILLYUK said:
Lets hope they get the suspension right from day one instead of bringing out extras like the cup suspension at a later date . Seems like Renault admitted that they got the supsension set up wrong if they have to bring out a cup pack later on .IMO i think the 172 handles like a sack of sh*te . My old Pug 306 s16 would out handle any 172 round bends , especially roundabouts . Pity the engine and clutch went titsup at the same time ,lol .

MrBillyUK !

So let me get this right.... You're saying that coz you thought the 172 didn't handle as well at the 306 S16 (one of the best hot hatches ever), it handles like a bag of s**te? lol:clown:

The handling and suspension set-up of the 172 never changed (apart from the cup - which was used as a base for the 182 cup pack option), it only changed when the 182 model was brought out and then only with the cup options (for a more 'hardcore' set-up) and finally with the Trophy - widely regarded as 's**t hot'.

Seems to me that Renault took a very good platform and fine tuned it for their target audience - which some people seem to criticise them for undeservedly IMO.

Mini Cooper S sport
Lee said:
Yup, and it's not an RS either as everyone seems keep posting these days.

It's RenaultSport. :D

Oh be quiet, pedant! RS is short for RenaultSport in my book! :rasp:

Lee

BMW M2C
Racing Blue said:
Oh be quiet, pedant! RS is short for RenaultSport in my book! :rasp:
Your books is wrong, just check with Ford. ;)

And who is it on here who gets pedantic about spelling and grammar? ;)

I'd look at the Focus if I wanted something bigger, but I don't.

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S sport
Lee said:
Your books is wrong, just check with Ford. ;)

You knew what I meant!!!! :slap:

And who is it on here is gets pedantic about spelling and grammar? ;)

:eek: (clearly not enough to bother you though hehehehe)

I'd look at the Focus if I wanted something bigger, but I don't.

No, a Clio's just the right size for me too :).

Lee

BMW M2C
Racing Blue said:
You knew what I meant!!!! :slap:

:eek: (clearly not enough to bother you though hehehehe)

No, a Clio's just the right size for me too :).

Just like me. :approve:

MINI JCW
What does everybody think to the concept car?

Me personally I think it looks nice, I dont think it will be faster than the 182, Im pretty convinved it wont handle better, it will be more comfortable though and probably built better! So swings & rounabouts really

I will test drive one but I think I will stick with the 182!

106 GTi
A test drive will definatley be required on release, no point making any judgements without one.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ive heard that the new one has many new features, including a new ESP system with a unique 3 mode switchable profile.

• ESP On Mode- Obvious
  • OFF Mode- Disconnects the esp system and traction system
  • CUP Mode, now this is clever the system automatically floods the cabin with a gas that makes them respond to suggestion. The car then informs them (in a french inspector accent) that they own the fastest car on the planet and that physics no longer exist.
Ive also been told that the car has an active anti rattle device (battery powered drumming monkey) in the boot that automatically senses any rattles and makes a louder noise using its percussion devices.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Tom said:
Ive heard that the new one has many new features, including a new ESP system with a unique 3 mode switchable profile.

• ESP On Mode- Obvious
  • CUP Mode, now this is clever the system automatically floods the cabin with a gas that makes them respond to suggestion. The car then informs them (in a french inspector accent) that they own the fastest car on the planet and that physics no longer exist.
Ive also been told that the car has an active anti rattle device (battery powered drumming monkey) in the boot that automatically senses any rattles and makes a louder noise using its percussion devices.

lol, the 3rd option just cracked me up,

doesnt the radio get louder the faster you drive though?

MRBILLYUK said:

MrBillyUK !

Would you rather they released the 172, then never made any revisions to it incase they worried that people may think that they "set it up wrong"???

I for one am extremely pleased that they continue developing the car. People almost universally moaned about the Trophy before it came out (because it had no extra power) and now look, its legendary already. Are you saying this car shouldn't exist because they should have somehow nailed it first time around about 5 years ago? Nobody is forcing you to buy Phase One of the new Renaultsport, if you think a future Cup/Trophy or whatever may be on the horizon, hold out for a few years and get that instead.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Mr billy, trust me the 172 is anything but a sack of shite.
At its launch it was awesome and is still a cracking drive.

Its still a fooking good car. Even without the Blue/Red paint and some aftermarket rally rims. ;)

172 Cup
gazcaddy said:
What does everybody think to the concept car?

Me personally I think it looks nice, I dont think it will be faster than the 182, Im pretty convinved it wont handle better, it will be more comfortable though and probably built better! So swings & rounabouts really

I will test drive one but I think I will stick with the 182!

I think the internal pics (yes I know it's early stages) look absolutely awful :dead:

Jeremy Townsend said:
The New Clio Renaultsport will be at the Geneva show in March with the first cars arriving here in May. All the details, spec and prices will be available towards the end of Feb.

Thanks for replying Jeremy, I used the public forum to ask the question as Im sure there are a fair few people wondering the same thing.

Now..if you can just have a word to have the chassis sorted from the off I promise I will buy one in May ;)

Steve

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Tom said:
  • ESP On Mode- Obvious

PMSL!!!!

MRBILLYUK said:

MrBillyUK !

Surely you're not serious ?

The 172 handles really well. However, progress will always be made, it would be a shame if 4 years after launch nothing could be improved. As for having a Cup option on the 182, not everyone wants the firmer ride. Better to have a choice.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
drac182 said:
So let me get this right.... You're saying that coz you thought the 172 didn't handle as well at the 306 S16 (one of the best hot hatches ever), it handles like a bag of s**te? lol:clown:

The handling and suspension set-up of the 172 never changed (apart from the cup - which was used as a base for the 182 cup pack option), it only changed when the 182 model was brought out and then only with the cup options (for a more 'hardcore' set-up) and finally with the Trophy - widely regarded as 's**t hot'.

Seems to me that Renault took a very good platform and fine tuned it for their target audience - which some people seem to criticise them for undeservedly IMO.

Yep , thats what i'm saying . The 172 isn't a patch on my old Pug 306 S16 when it comes to handling , not quite as fast as the 172 in a straight line granted , but round the twisty bits it was hell of alot better .Having driven both for many miles i know which car i would put my confidence in everytime . I just don't think that the suspension set up is good enough for the power of the engine of the 172 . But thats just my opinion , i'm sure many will disagree .

MrBillyUK !

VaVa
Jeremy Townsend said:

The 172 handles really well. However, progress will always be made, it would be a shame if 4 years after launch nothing could be improved. As for having a Cup option on the 182, not everyone wants the firmer ride. Better to have a choice.

:approve: :approve:

We like choice. All of us love Renaultsport cars, but all for different reasons - The more choices the better!

MINI JCW
Jeremy Townsend said:

Agree, lets be honest unless you go on track days you wont get anywhere near the potential of the handling and if you do on the road then I hope you dont live near me!

Alot is said about the handling on this site but Im sure there are very fews of us who could extract 50% of the cars ability, I know for sure I couldnt

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Jeremy Townsend said:

Exactly, despite the Cup suspension option being more popular i still don`t have any regrets going for standard. I live in the country and most of my driving is non motorway, despite that i have never even once wished i `d of gone for the Cup suspension. Not everybody wants the firmer set up and its brill that Renault give us, the buyers a choice.

IMO they have got it spot on, offering the car with a more than capable standard set up, with the option to go for a firmer set up if that's what people want.

I hope they do something similar with the next generation :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Jeremy,

while your milling around on this thread, can you advise if there is going to be a diesel powered choice? As this is a developing sector of the performance car market, i think it would be interesting to have a diesel powered RS clio, there was a link to a megane RS diesel and it would be great to know if there was any plans after launch for an oil burner....?

id like one anyway!

Lee

BMW M2C
Racing Blue said:
Don't call it RS, Lee will tell you off!

Too right, manufacturers don't spend all that money creating a brand for people to go getting it wrong.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Lee said:
Too right, manufacturers don't spend all that money creating a brand for people to go getting it wrong.

So is Clio sport right ???

Strange that on the Renaultsport site i can`t find any mention of a Clio sport ??? ;-)

They spend all that money creating the car and naming it a Clio Renaultsport only for it to be called a Clio sport on here Tsk Tsk !! lol

Lee

BMW M2C
ClioSport the club isn't named after any car, it's just a club name and has no bearing on a model or model line up.

There are models classed as Clio Sport models though.

MINI JCW
Lee said:
ClioSport the club isn't named after any car, it's just a club name and has no bearing on a model or model line up.

There are models classed as Clio Sport models though.

Thats true mate, but a lot of people refer to RenaultSports Clio's as Cliosports

Astra VXR 17/05/07
In the car spec section on here they are reffered to as " Clio sports "

" Clio sport 182 " etc

Yet on the official Renaultsport site there isn`t a single reference to a " Clio sport 182 " etc

So isn`t it a bit contradictory pulling people up for calling them RS clios on a website calling them Clio sports after Renault have spent all that money now branding and advertising them as Clio Renaultsports ?

Calling them RS Clio`s is no worse than calling them Clio sports when neither exist on the current Renault website.

A bit petty i know, but then again so is pulling people up for calling them RS Clios when as owners we all know they get called a lot worse lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Do you really think I'm serious? lol I couldn't give a flying f**k what people call there cars. But personally I tend to like to call mine what it actually is.:D