ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fanless HTPC

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I'm trying to spec up a fanless HTPC to use as my main media center which I want to last me a good few years.
It will only be running XBMC and Plex but I'd also like to be able to remote into it and work on another session using SQL and Visual Studio without interrupting the XBMC.
Ideally I'd like most of the storage to be internal so it isn't surrounded by multiple external hard drives.

Can anyone help with this?
All I can find in terms of a case is this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/stre...uminium-htpc-mini-itx-itx-with-usb-30-w-o-psu
But I doubt that will hold much storage.
If I were to go for a bigger case I'm guessing I'd need to go for water cooling?

I'd also like it to have a TV tuner or some kind of integrated freeview so I don't need to have a seperate Virgin/Sky/Freeview box.

Ideally I'd like to be spending sub £500.

Any help greatly appreciated.

DCi
The mistake I made was buying a mobi that needs a 'normal' psu - so the psu in the case has a fan

If you are looking at mini itx type boards then I think you can find ones that have laptop style power packs and therefore no fans

I've not looked at what's available for a while so I'm not the expert but get the right mobo and a SSD you're half way there

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Cheers for the reply.
I've found some fanless PSUs but I can't get a build below £900.

Mac mini is to all intents and purposes silent. They make the perfect HTPC. No toslink connection, but it does of course output digital audio through HDMI.

You could probably source a refurbished unit for around £500

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I've managed to source a uATX board and all the other basic parts I need, minus a case.

The GFX card currently connected is the only thing I can hear so I was thinking of getting a fanless one. In particular, this.
Has anyone had any experience with this card? I'm not expecting it to be able to play the latest games, all it needs to do is allow smooth playback of 1080p movies and play some retro emulators.

The current card I have is a GT 240 with 1GB I think. I've fully tested the system and it works perfectly with XBMC and Plex running a 1080p movie on one session while I am logged into another session using SQL.

All I need to find now is a case. I quite like the Fractal Node 605.

Polo + Micra
i don't know if it's any good for you but i've got a silverstone GD02 case that i no longer use but it's missing the cover screws

this is it in black

Polo + Micra
say £50 + whatever p&p (for just the case) is as it's not exactly small or light

is there anything else you need? as there is a Blu-ray reader drive in it and a psu (which i could leave in place for an increased price)