ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Family photography tips

Monaco Blue Mk2
My mum wants a picture of us with my D40 & Kit lense (Don't ask :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I have googled but didn't find much in terms of camera settings. I was wondering if any of you have any tips for me to get the best results.

I'll be taking it against a fairly neutral yellow background, with plenty of natural light coming into the room from directly behind the camera.

Other than that, what height and distance roughly should I aim to have the camera? What about settings, f stop? shutter speed? ISO?

Thanks.

Fiat Panda 100hp
About 35mm, f/5.6, M mode, adjust shutter accordingly, ISO 200, tripod, self timer, or remote.

Have a play though, see what comes out best for you.

Depends on your family size!!! You might want to go a bit wider than 35 if there is lots and lots of you!! Tripod is a must and try get a remote as they are only £12 (then use 2 sec delay). I would personally go for Aperture mode and go with F4-F6 (take a few) and let the camera take care of shutter speed as its on a tripod.

Height of the camera - so you dont chop anyone's head off!
Distance - far enough so you get everyone in!

Works...kind of...
One tip so you don't catch anyone with their eyes closed...

Tell them to close their eyes, and when you count down to one, open them and smile. Then a second after that take the shot.

Guaranteed no sleepy eyes.

That's if you're taking a large group photo ofcourse.

Monaco Blue Mk2
unfortunately I'm now going to be taking this under artificial lighting (ceiling spotlights/downlighters). Is there anything else I should do to ensure the best results in this way? Thanks.

Fiat Panda 100hp
unfortunately I'm now going to be taking this under artificial lighting (ceiling spotlights/downlighters). Is there anything else I should do to ensure the best results in this way? Thanks.

Get everyone in the garden, a nice backdrop too then.

vers le haut doigt milieu
ok go get your self 2 packs of this polly board (http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210020) and stick them together to make a big white bit of polly board, then get one of these lights from HSS (http://www.hss.com/g/57332/Twin-Head-Floodlight.html). Put the big bit of polly board opposite your subjects then put your camera aprox half way between the two. Place the light next to you camera and point it backwards towards the polly board, this way you wont have harsh light and harsh nose shadows. That is the way I would do it professionally but I would use better lights and a better reflective surface.