ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R Cam Belt - Pulleys

Clio Cup Racer
Just a quick question about the cam belt / pulleys on a F4R engine.

Using the proper tools (horseshoe) you can lock the Cams into the right place.

If the pulleys are key-less then how do you know they are in the right place?

Assume they have some kind of marks on them which you line up?

clio 172 phs 1
nope! if you lock the camshaft at the gearbox end with the tool,it doesnt matter where the pulleys sit.

Lotus Elise
It doesnt matter where the pullys are as the horseshoe tells you if the timing it out, also the flywheel should line up with the 0 mark on the gearbox. Do you have the 3rd tool?

It doesnt matter where the pullys are as the horseshoe tells you if the timing it out, also the flywheel should line up with the 0 mark on the gearbox. Do you have the 3rd tool?

Because if not you're going to have a very bent horseshoe tool if you try to slacken the pulley fasteners without it! ;)

Clio Cup Racer
I'm not trying anything at the moment - just getting my head round it.

I understand it from what you are saying. The crank pulley will dictate the belt position and pulleys can sit wherever.

When checking the timing it can only be teeth out by the sounds of it then (belts jumped) so timing will be well out not just slightly.

172, Tiguan
Yeah if you can't get the horseshoe to just slot back in to the back of the cams once you've pinned the crank then the timing has slipped.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
no the cams and crank have to be in the right place. some stuff you can just use the pulleys cos the will only sit in one place