ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

extreme loss of grip/control when turning left

Clio 172
This is a bit hard to explain, but i will do my best!

I havent had the car for long, maybe a month, but when i first accelerated at a moderate speed ( i.e. foot down! ) the car is fine, but if i go over anything on the road, like a cats eye, or a small bump, or even just the road markings.. it feels like i lose control of the car and it wobbles/ drifts a little like ive just hit ice.. its pretty scary.

I think ive managed to locate where the main issue is, because when turning to the right i can do so at a good speed pushing the car, and it feels confortable. When i turn to the left i cannot do it at speed, the back end feels like its on ice, or that my back end is drifting... anything over 30mph, sometimes i have to steer in to stop my car from spinning out ( as it feels )

ive never had anything like this before, so if anyone has any ideas, it would be good.

I have checked tyre pressure, and the tyres are almost new.. One thing i might add, is that i have noticed that this suspicious wheel seems to be lower than the others.

Thanks.
Oli

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I have checked tyre pressure, and the tyres are almost new.. One thing i might add, is that i have noticed that this suspicious wheel seems to be lower than the others.

What are the tyre pressures ?

What do you mean 'the wheel is lower than the others' ? Do you mean the body is sitting lower relative to the top of the tyre on one corner compared to the other 3 ?

I had something similar on a Golf GTI, where the back end would really step out of line alarmingly. Cured it by having a 4 wheel alignment setup. Not cheap, but well worth it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mine feels a bit like this. Feels more like understeer, but I'm gonna replace the shocks tomorrow for genuine Cup ones - the ones I have aren't goosed but are the cheapo 'Lip' ones. Will update as soon as done!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Done and it definitely steers in a LOT better! Felt unsure before but now feels so much tighter. Fronts are looking a bit sorry for themselves after replacing a top mount bearing, they're getting done next.

Clio 172
What are the tyre pressures ?

What do you mean 'the wheel is lower than the others' ? Do you mean the body is sitting lower relative to the top of the tyre on one corner compared to the other 3 ?

Yeh, the car is sitting lower on that wheel than any of the others.. I have taken it to a garage who told me that everything is safe, and there has been a new shock absorber put in. So he cant explain why it would be like this.

( only had it for an hour and it was a free check )

Tyer pressures are 30.

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
like said by goodj changing only one shock is not a good job, 'cause now you have 1 old shock and a new one.. so a good way to unbalance the reactions of your back end.
plus.. if the car was lower on that wheel... what has this to do with the shock? rear shocks on our clios cant' set the ride height.. is a spring job.. the only way it could is if it was completely stuck but this means no damping at all.. are you sure that the car was lower on that wheel?? the shock can explain your loss of grip but not the different height..

Clio 172
Hello, I've had my Clio for a couple of weeks and I have the same problem. I've checked the shocks by having a quick look but will take the wheels off tomorrow and take them off the car and have a better look. Is this a fairly common problem on the 172/182 then?

Clio 172
I've checked tyre pressures and the springs all look fine, it's only when I turn sharply to the left, it's like the back end is hopping