ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extra Cigarette Lighter Socket

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi Guys + Gals.

Im planning on installing an extra cigarette lighter socket in my glove box.

I want to know what size wire do you think i should use for the socket ? Also, what size fuse do you think i should put inline on the positive wire ?

I was going to tap in to where the original cigarette socket is or is there a better location ?

Thanks, Sam!

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Is there a particular reason why in the glovebox?

I have done one on mine but in the boot. I was thinking of writing a guide for it. But it was easy for me as i was running an amp on the back and had 12v nearby.

I used a 10A fuse on my ex broken clio lighter that i kept and part of the wiring. I think, tha cable was 1mm on that as well.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I want to do it for my sat nav as i either want that and my phone working. So was going to make the wire stick out the vent at the top of the windscreen so i can plug it in easily. I just wanted to put a fuse in for safety.

I was going to buy some of them blue connecters from halfrauds where you can just merge onto another cable with them.

Didnt know where there would be a suitable source.

Anyone know if it would be ok to go off the cable that does the inside light in the glove box ?

Thanks, Sam!

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I wouldn't take power from the glovebox light. The wires are not as thick as the lighters' loom.

Have you made up your mind about the lighter socket you want to use? Will you have it hanging out the the vent or are you going to mount it properly?

You do need to use a fuse and using those connectors shouldn't be a problem.

Where do you normally have your Sat Nav installed? Driver's side pillar or Middle bottom of windscreen?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I have it in the middle of the windscreen.

I have bought a proper socket and im going to drill a 25MM hole so it is nice and flush then going to put a fuse in and connect it.

You reckon it will be alright if i just tap into the ones where the cigarette socket ?

Will it be alright if im charging my phone and using my sat nav at the same time ? It aint going to drain to much power and melt wires is it ?

Thanks, Sam!

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I have it in the middle of the windscreen.

I have bought a proper socket and im going to drill a 25MM hole so it is nice and flush then going to put a fuse in and connect it.

You reckon it will be alright if i just tap into the ones where the cigarette socket ?

Will it be alright if im charging my phone and using my sat nav at the same time ? It aint going to drain to much power and melt wires is it ?

Thanks, Sam!

Have a look on the power adaptors for your sat nav and phone. Check the characteristics on both. They shouldn't draw more than 10 - 15 amps together which is normaly the fuse rating on your existing lighter. Hence you should be able to use both of them at the same time.

Polo + Micra
Have a look on the power adaptors for your sat nav and phone. Check the characteristics on both. They shouldn't draw more than 10 - 15 amps together which is normaly the fuse rating on your existing lighter. Hence you should be able to use both of them at the same time.

bloody hell if the pair of them together drew more than 2 amps I'd be worried tbh

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
bloody hell if the pair of them together drew more than 2 amps I'd be worried tbh

Only reason for saying that is because you never know what else someone can plug on it without checking it.

Probably a laptop at some point? You never know. Plus it only takes 2 seconds to check it out.

Clio 182
I work in halfords and know the connectors which you mention (as I have aquired a set myself), personally I am going to install the additional socket under the ashtray - therefore you can pull the power off the back of the existing cig lighter + its easily accessible :)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I work in halfords and know the connectors which you mention (as I have aquired a set myself), personally I am going to install the additional socket under the ashtray - therefore you can pull the power off the back of the existing cig lighter + its easily accessible :)

Aye. Will probably pull the cigarette lighter out, tap into the + and - then run a cable round to the glove box. :D

Listerine & Poledo
what nav are you looking to hook in?

can't you hard wire a line straight off the lighter?