ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust mounts - packing with glue

I've seen lots of people using the power flex universal exhaust hanger moulds inside the original exhaust hanger metal.

But I've also seen once or twice people packing the open holes of the exhaust mount with sealant to stop the "X" shape sagging.

Is it tiger seal that's used? any cheaper equivalent? I wouldn't know if there's anywhere local to get that glue, maybe a paint shop?

Anyone think this will be fine? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PU18-Poly...booking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item19e07b77a1

I considered them but I'm not looking to spend 80 quid on exhaust mounts at the moment mate.

Not much wrong with mine anyway just whilst I do other jobs on the car to adjust things I might pack the mounts out with glue to make them solid.

Yeah but then I've got to cut out the existing rubbers, and mine aren't that old, rather just pack the gaps so it holds better.

Ordered the glue, job done.

I wanted to double check it was tiger seal that was used, but shortly after I found out the glue I linked is similar to tiger seal (I hope).

Tiger Seal is probably the strongest followed by Sikaflex... they all will do pretty much the same job though. Let us know how you get one (and make sure you set the exhaust at the correct height before sealing!).

Yep its only to pack the gaps around the mount so they are solid and the exhaust doesn't sag over time like my previous mounts when they got old.

I realise the powerflex bushes are probably a better alternative but ill see how I get on with this first.

For anyone in the future wondering what I'm on about, these are not Powerflex but do the same job. Charlie at Prospeed fitted these for me and they're solid and certainly won't sag:

10458313124_8ed0085acb_c.jpg

Black 182 FF
I used some cheap sealant first time around. They didn't last long though. I then thought about bushes but I wanted the hole to be offset to the left, as my Scorpion 192 will only sit right and not catch if the mounts are offset and I instead used some PU sealant for about £4. Been on around a year now and still fine.

Westfield, 182, 200
I got some Powerflex mounts and drilled a hole through them. Solid as owt.

Quite a few of us jave done this, it really works well. My 182 had a heavy stainless rear box and it never sagged in 18 months.

Hope the tiger stuff works, post up some pics when you've done it.

I bought 2 new mounts for £12 and two powerflex exh008 mounts for £12...

10 mins with a stanley knife and they are in, i drilled a hole top and bottom and put a 8x1 screw in to hold the mount in place.

No need for cable ties and looks spot on imo.

2013-12-28110339_zpsca0be4cd.jpg

Megane 225 f1
For anyone in the future wondering what I'm on about, these are not Powerflex but do the same job. Charlie at Prospeed fitted these for me and they're solid and certainly won't sag:

10458313124_8ed0085acb_c.jpg

Whats that hanging out of the middle? Looks like that was your backbox hanger?

clio 172
I used some gray RTV on my rear mount. I figured silicone would be more flexible than urethane. I didnt remve the original "X" plastic thing, just emptied the whole RTV tube around it. I cleaned the mounth throughly before applying the silicone (dishwasher soap, carb cleaner, brush).

It's been fine for the last 2 weeks I've had it.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I bought a track car a while ago and it has windscreen glue packed into the engine mounts.
Figured the guy I bought it from knows better than me and it's rock solid. :))

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I used to use a yellow Powerflex bush cut and zip tied into the rear mount but found that it was too hard and kept snapping the hangers off my exhaust - been through two back boxes in 2 years that way. In the end I bought a new OEM one for £7 off eBay, car is much quieter too.

Megane 225 f1
Yes, that is the idea. It is an exhaust mount after all.

Well given that the thread title is "exhaust mounts" and that Iam a mechanic I sort of gathered that but from the photo it looks like its broken away from the exhaust.

Well given that the thread title is "exhaust mounts" and that Iam a mechanic I sort of gathered that but from the photo it looks like its broken away from the exhaust.
If you look to the extreme right of the picture (above the yellow shock on the photo) you can see the other side of the mount.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@guysy Guy, I did what you asked in the OP. There is a paint shop in Harlow called Leonard Brooks (next to the dairy crest/nhs walk-in center) and they sell tiger seal and a cheaper equivalent. It's under £10 and I did what your on about in the OP on my old 182. Worked fine and held for ages.

001c1c8b.gif

3398a36a.gif

Last edited:
Cheers Mark, I found your thread whilst searching shortly after I put this one up, I've been to that paint shop forgot about it at the time, hopefully the stuff I've bought will be good for a while.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Keep us updated buddy. I used a powerflex one recently but I think I'm going to do this trick again just for double strength. Infact I think I have some spare in my tool box.

Any PU sealant will be better than nothing tbh Guy. Once it's dried it will sag less/have no sag as they'll be no gap for it to sink into.