ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust keeps popping out mount

I've done a fair bit of reading on this, and everyone just points to poly bushes. But, at £100 for 2, it's a little steep!

Once 1 side of mine keep popping out and then sits below the mount. Is there anything I can do to stop it? I was thinking of a 'bung' of some kind on the open side of the bracket to stop it slipping through.

It's a after market exhaust, janspeed I think, but uses the standard bracket.

ETA: Is it because the bracket is slack? Or because the whole thing is moving to much and slipping out? IT was a mess with hose pipe bits before that I removed thinking it was a bodge! Maybe I was wrong

Last edited:
They are at their most they can be towards the stop on the bracket. It's the left one so the exhaust has to 'slide' toward the back of the car to pop out the bracket.

Confirmed a janspeed.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If your exhaust is coming out of its mounts I'd suggest looking at your engine mounts first as it sounds like there's too much movement.

PH2 172
They are at their most they can be towards the stop on the bracket. It's the left one so the exhaust has to 'slide' toward the back of the car to pop out the bracket.

Confirmed a janspeed.

Are the hangers not threaded for a 5mm bolt & penny washer?

Not on mine, just a metal shaft (fnarr) although gives me an idea to drill a hole and put a clip through it. Doubt I could drill it though...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Need to get a picture from underneath really. It shouldn't be able to move that much really. You running a sleeved cat/decat?

I decided to get a new mount from ECP (£13), seems to have cured the problem. Before it'd fall out after a few miles, it's stayed in for 40+ just now. Honestly couldn't tell the difference between them by feel though.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I've done a fair bit of reading on this, and everyone just points to poly bushes. But, at £100 for 2, it's a little steep!
You don't have to pay that much! I've just got a pair for £43 off ebay :smile:
Yeah there's sometimes a small bolt that screws into the end of the hanger on the exhaust to stop it sliding out the bracket
Thats definately true, I've just fitted one of my Powerflex poly bush mounts today. The bolt helps to hold the mount into the hanger.
I've got a KTec/Janspeed cat backsystem.
I can take some pictures tomorrow if you like? :up:

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Cheap eBay mounts and Tiger seal FTW!

I've had Scorpion & KTec exhausts on my car and both the centre and rear hangers of both have had small bolts/washers in the end :up:

This is annoying. It's still happening after I changed the engine top mount to a Vibra Technics. I can barely move the engine (compared to it moving +/- 2cm before).

I have the Vibra Technics gearbox mount too, but wondering if that'll make it even more rattly.

It's the (looking at the car) left bracket that is coming out. Which means falling out the back of it. I don't see how the poly bushes will help in that case.

monaco 172
have you got any sleeved sections in the exhaust?
I remember my old janspeed on my 182 had a piece that slid in and then that small part connected to the cat.

It could be that your sleeve is pushed in too far causing the exhaust to be too short and therefor pulling out of the mount.

I

PH2 172
Anyone?

In my last post, I meant I have the gearbox mount to fit, but worried it'll be too aggressive.

Fit the Vibra Tech top box mount, & you might discover the bolt is not secure on the top of the box at the same time.
Modify the back box mount with 5mm bolt & penny washer, or drill a hole & fit a washer with a R clip as you suggested, or if this is beyond you, lash it up with a hoseclip around the bar to secure a washer.
8 weeks down the line & this is not sorted?

I thought this was fixed! I've now got powerflex dog bone, vibratech top engine mount and gearbox engine mount, 2 new OEM exhaust brackets and the b*****d is still popping out!
I struggle to see how the powerflex ones are going to help keep the mounting arm IN the hole without anything on the other side to retain it.

So, poly bushes, or find a drill bit that'll go through the arm? (I've tried mine and failed!)

Bloody thing! A mate 'fixed' this, got it setup nicely and we even done a track day with it. The bush finally came out (held in by cable ties though). So Saturdays track day it was lose and has melted my exhaust. This is with the powerflex bushes too!

Thinking of drilling the hanger, taping it, and putting a bolt through that'll bridge the mount, should stop it popping out

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
get some pics up, I have a janspeed on my 182 (presume this is a 182??) and never had an issue on poly exhaust mounts and stock engine mounts

G Hut

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, V90 T8
yea, a 182.
It's poly engine mounts, and exhaust mounts. will try and get some

Did you ever work out what the issue was as having same issue on ph1 172.

Std exhaust
New poly dog bone and new oem mounts with power flex sleeve on top one
Tried both solid and standard rear mounts
Middle mount good
It happens on track when breaking hard and rear hanger will pop out.

It must move good few inches to come out but can't get any movement like that when checking or fitting rear bracket back on

I cable tied the crap out of the mounts. Also, the end of the arm has thread in it, so put some large washers on and loctite’d the thread on a bolt.