ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Emissions warning light...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This lights come on on the dash and staying lit i.e not flashing or what ever.. Lambda sensor? I dare say fuel economy will be affected aswell if it is...?

If it is this.. How much can i expect to pay and is it easy to fit?

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I think it depends which lambda it is as to whether it affects mpg, I had an intermittent problem with the post cat one which put the light on from time to time but never affected mpg, then the pre cat one died (but it turned out the thermostat and temp sender unit also needed replacing) and the mpg dropped like a stone.

Prices seem to vary a lot, mine were sourced for just over £100 for the pair, but that was a mate who got them for me trade (standard Bosch ones). Renault were about £90 each iirc!?!

monaco 172
60 from nwp if Iirc.

Only get the first one tho, the one after cat doesn't affect your engine running

If it turns out that it was the rear one which was the problem then just put the old front one there as it's always good to have a new front lambda. I've read many threads saying that even with no fault codes replacing the front lambda has improves the mpg and power.

Btw, I had mine come on once before my decat and it was due to a faulty temp sensor.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
id get it checked first, came on for me before and it ended up costing £9 for something in the engine bay. might wanna check before paying loads of money for sensors

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
60 from nwp if Iirc.

Only get the first one tho, the one after cat doesn't affect your engine running

If it turns out that it was the rear one which was the problem then just put the old front one there as it's always good to have a new front lambda. I've read many threads saying that even with no fault codes replacing the front lambda has improves the mpg and power.

Btw, I had mine come on once before my decat and it was due to a faulty temp sensor.

Thanks, i didnt realise they were the same fitment etc?

The MPG doesnt seem to have been affected but tbh, i wont know for sure until the 6 inches of snow clears and the temperature rises above 0* (Its been -5*+ since sunday) Would this have anything to do with it...?

id get it checked first, came on for me before and it ended up costing £9 for something in the engine bay. might wanna check before paying loads of money for sensors

I dont know where to go, they're arent many places in Glasgow that are great for fault finding :( I hope it doesnt turn out to be a wild goose chase, cba with that :(

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique S
Is this the same as the "toxic fume filter system warning light"? mine keeps coming on too so need to get it checked out. Hope not too costly :-(

MK3 GTI golf 16v
there no good garages around you ? worth checking as i said mine was less than £10 to fix

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Is this the same as the "toxic fume filter system warning light"? mine keeps coming on too so need to get it checked out. Hope not too costly :-(

7df6bddd-e6aa-4411-8b02-6e3c85005e6e.jpg

This light?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
there no good garages around you ? worth checking as i said mine was less than £10 to fix

Im going to phone k-tec tomorrow and ask advice, im certain itll be a sensor but like you say, its worth checking! I hate this mystery search fault finding! Does my tits in!

What were the symptoms of your car? (What car is it you have?)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ive got a 2003 clio mk2 1.2 16v. umm just the light came on and it overheated once, then the light stayed on from then so took it to the garage. paid £10 or so for a sensor in the engine bay and job done, never came back

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Find someone with a code reader/rstuner?

Im not sure anyone i know has one, i relish giving Renault £56 for an hours labour to tell me its needing XYZ etc...

Would a diagnostic single out the problem though? I.e exactly which of the two sensors it would be if it is the sensors atall...?

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique S
7df6bddd-e6aa-4411-8b02-6e3c85005e6e.jpg

This light?

Yep pretty sure thats the one (too cold to go out in the snow and check atm!) I called renault when it first started flashing a few months back and they said "och dont worry, book it in once it stays on"... very helpful!! Will hear how you get on :)

monaco 172
Im not sure anyone i know has one, i relish giving Renault £56 for an hours labour to tell me its needing XYZ etc...

Would a diagnostic single out the problem though? I.e exactly which of the two sensors it would be if it is the sensors atall...?

I believe it would yes if you get it on a good diagnostics.

But yeh, the 2 sensors are the same. If it was the rear sensor though I'd just leave it and decat it so the lights got a reason to come on ha.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Depends who's diagnostics you use, but it could be something other than a sensor you know? So even a basic code reader will narrow down the problem.

Put something up in your area to see if any kind sole will let you borrow their rstuner :)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I;ve never really paid attention to this yet.

On my 182, when the emissions light comes on.. What do I do?

Leave it? (no difference to fuelling/performance?)
New Lambda?
Wideband lambda?

Advice appreciated..

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As i said, i drove home from work (4 miles @ no more than 35mph) in -9* and the fuel economy was 32-33 mpg...

The engine seems to be nice and smooth as normal so im now thinking it might not be the lambda sensors atall! Me thinks ill need to get this diagnosed :(

Clio Extreme
Hey all.

Im new to this forum but have found, what i think is the issue ive started having since last night.

whilst out yesterday, not the first time id driven the car of the day, i had been driving for about 10 mins and then found the car was riding a little lumpy, not exactly misfiring (as ive been there done that lol) but juddering slightly.

Randomly about 5 mins after this started happening the Exhaust Emmisions light (bottom right) started flashing but went off on its own within a min.

I stopped at a friends about 2 mins after, got out and noticed a rubber burning smell on the outside of the car, but couldnt smell it through any vents on the inside of the car, at the front grill or from the exhaust, so thats thrown me completly.

i left it a while then drove home. was perfect until about 1o mins into the drive again and it did exactly the same thing. It did seem slightly sluggish on the accelteration but nothing major.

Any ideas? i have it being looked at today by a family member who knows their stuff to an extent and hopefully he will bring his diagnostic, but cant promise that.

I had a new TDS about 2 months ago and a throttle body a year ago. Thats my misfiring comparison by the way as it was doing it chronically before i changed the Body.

Any help will be greatly apprectiated and obviously the cheapest and simplest fix will be great, however since owning the car ive now decided ther eis never a cheap or easy fix lol.

koi

Audi S1
Danny boy, just read this thread. I have an RS tuner, give me a shout if you want me to swing by with it.

You tried swapping the front and rear lambda sensors?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
So what happens with a decat? If theres no were for the lambda to go surely that will effect the way the engine runs?

Evo 8 MR
I had the light up on mine, swapped the sensors round and cleared the light, sorted.

A simple code reader will show you the fault code.

So what happens with a decat? If theres no were for the lambda to go surely that will effect the way the engine runs?

They go in exactly the same place.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
I also get the light flashing on and off sometimes...havent seen it in ages though. if i let the car idle it tends to go off on its own.

I have a weird plasticy smell coming from under mine at the moment and its been there for a good couple of months...dunno what it is. its coming from underneath. Rob at Birchdown said he thought id ran over a carrier bag perhaps and it was making that smell but surely not now??

Clio Extreme
Well sadly i dont have a quick or cheap fix for this :( which ive found is typical of my car.

ive had the coil pack changed but i still have all the same issues. the sparks wernt in a good state but they wernt causing the fault.

Its booked in to a garage on weds so fingers crossed they can pinpoint the fault and fix it.

All i know is the word Head Gasket and Injectors has been thrown around lol.

Clio Extreme
:( Head Gasket is my issue...at a minimum....there is water and oil mixing somehwere causing the smoke, and prob the emmissions light to flash.

nowwwwwww do i scrap and start again or keep putting money in. i know it wont cost a lot for the gasket and fitting as its friends doing it but at the same time thats not guarenteed until the engine has been pulled apart.

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique S
I'd say bin it! The head gasket went on my old Corsa SRI and it was never right after it (£1500 later!), but thats just my experience

MK3 GTI golf 16v
scrap it, new car. youll sink loads of money into it trying to get it right again and youll just end up getting another car anyway

Clio Extreme
The decision has been made to fix the car to road worthy standards but still buy a new toy :D

Im gunna get it so i can get a lil money back on the Authentique, even if only for parts as the body work isnt great but its parts are mostly new(Ish) and worth something.

Already eyeing up some lovely looking clio's as i think im gunna stick to what i know but just get a better version :)