ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ex clio cup race car. Converted to rally car

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Thought id post up the ex clio cup car i have recently purchased. Its number 007, ex tcr car i think. If anyone knows anything more about this car please feel free to let me know. I also need to get hold of some spares too, like drive shafts, whishbones, wheels etc. oh and also some brake ducts after a small incident i had tonight.

Here are some old pics that i got from the owner ive since cleaned it up.

daveebaypics021.gif

daveebaypics016.gif

CopyofCopyofdaveebaystuff003.gif

CopyofCopyofdaveebaystuff001.gif

daveebaypics022.gif

Its cleaned up really well inside and out now, im suprised how clean the shell is for a cup car. If ive got my facts right i think this car had a new shell in 2006 anyway so that would explain that.

First jobs on the list are:

-fit my Sparco pro ADV drivers seat, will get a matching passenger seat once ive sold the ones in the car.
-Pop the dent out that i managed to put in the bonnet tonight after having a conflict with a hedge.
-do something with the brake ducts as there both a bit worse for wear after tonight.
-over the winter get a new side skirt, front & rear bumpers, bonnet have them all sprayed so its minty mint again.
-repaint the current speedling corse 2120's i have (only 4) but hopefully will get hold of some more.

But more important than all of that is to get some events under my belt in the car. I have a hill climb at the end of the month so hopefully that will go well.

At the age of 20 i never imagined id own a car like this so its pretty much a dream come true, im over the moon with it.

Last edited:
  R27, Deep Black
For 20 years old, not to bad ;)

Im 20 aswel and considered buying something but am spending far too much on other projects :(

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I thought all cup race cars were left hand drive aswell, aswell as running a standard brake set up, guessing some work has been done already on this one.

RS RIP
there will be a lot of these for sale as a lot of teams made the jump to the 197 .

There is a mint one for sale here in Holland for 13000 euros. Sequential dogbox , alll genuine straight from Dieppe.

Are youi going to make the car road legal mate ? :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Maybe the ones not for the uk market where right hand drive?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yep all clio cup cars where LHD but as you can see this one has been converted to RHD suits me much better.

And yeah clio cup cars did use standard brakes but they just werent good enough for rallying so the guy i bought it off had the Hispec 300mm kit put on it. They are overkill for sure, so much so that it makes the rear wheels lift :eek: (something i didnt know till last night). Which resulted in a minor incident with 20ft of hedge where my bumper got rather scratched and bonnet a bit dented. But its all gd just looks like even more of a racer now:rolleyes:. will sort it all out in the winter..

Car already is road legal MOT'd and taxed, but as its now been imported to Jersey (channel islands) where i live i have to register it over here again. Just waiting on some homologation papers and ill be sending it to get done over here.

As for buying one of these cars you just have to keep an eye out in the motorsport adds. they come up every so often. but i highly doubt many if any have been made road legal like this one.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
If it was re-shelled in 2006 it would easily explain how it came to be right hand drive.

It was reshelled using a renualt sport shell while it was racing if ive got my facts rite. so it was still LHD they had to be for the series. this was conveted to RHD in 2008 by the previous owner when it was converted for rally use and made road legal.

182cup & 172 racecar
All the hard work has been done by the looks of it,somebody has put a lot of time into that.Still not fully convinced that it was a Cup car,but it does have the badge on the dash and its a minefield of paperwork getting them road legal,good luck with it.

i used to see this car all the time parked up at 500 yards down the road from my work. there used to be a mk1 v6 parked next too it quite often.

always wanted to get a closer look at it, thanks for posting!

it's either a ringer or it's not been correctly registered :dapprove:

Car reg shows as a renault clio 1.2 oasis :eek:

Don't want to spoil things for you Mike, but it's not what you think, it's just a standard 3 door shell thats had the bits from a cup racer installed.

As it's still registered as a 1.2 oasis i'd recommend getting it registered properly, otherwise insurance could be a pain in the a55 :dapprove:

Nice car anyway, have fun and get it on track

Chris

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Soooo how fast is it.

Looks schweet.

Edit stuff above doesnt sound promising..

Last edited:

Don't want to spoil things for you Mike, but it's not what you think, it's just a standard 3 door shell thats had the bits from a cup racer installed.

As it's still registered as a 1.2 oasis i'd recommend getting it registered properly, otherwise insurance could be a pain in the a55 :dapprove:

Chris

We're not talking vintage Ferrari chassis numbers here, being RHD it's obviously not an ex cup shell as such, but hey, they were often re shelled anyway and there's sod all difference....so enjoy.

M

mini-valver

Chris

+1

I'm not convinced either, the dash's never came in RHD. If it still has the original cage, have a look around the front left downtube to see if the colomn mounts have been ground off.

2005 Nissan Navara
Or just as/more likely is the donor shell was fitted with the id from a 1.2 which was taken from a car being broken for spares....not an uncommon practice when trying to get a race car on the road.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
i used to see this car all the time parked up at 500 yards down the road from my work. there used to be a mk1 v6 parked next too it quite often.

always wanted to get a closer look at it, thanks for posting!

Yeah i bought it off the owner of Edumuds exhuast as you can see by the stickers. was a really nice chap. even rang me a few days later to see if i got home ok.

Or just as/more likely is the donor shell was fitted with the id from a 1.2 which was taken from a car being broken for spares....not an uncommon practice when trying to get a race car on the road.

This is exactly the case, a hell of alot easier then putting it through an SVA test. it has the proper renault VIN stickers in the doors shuts etc, its all legit.

As for not being a real cup car because its RHD, what a load of tosh. It did use to be LHD you can see where the old mount has been cut off on the inside. and the holes in the dash from where the binacle use to be riveted on. the engine and gearbox are still sealed from when it was raced. it stil has the renault sport id stickers on the shell and on the cage. under that sunstrip on the back is the origional one with elf written on left, renault sport in the middle and atol on the right that all the cup cars had at one point. the ecu is still sealed with renault sport tags. has the correct data logger and display all the cup cars had, the dash plate. and every single component that a cup car should have bar the upgrades. There are no VIN numbers i thoroughly checked the area's where they normally are for grinding inside and out they have not been tampered with in anyway. the car also has no underseal as all cup racers, it also happens to be grey like all the TCR cars.

please tell me why anyone would go to the trouble of doing all that when you could simply by hmm.... maybe a real cup car?

I was a bit weary when buying it myself, but trust me if you saw it in the flesh and did a bit of research on cup cars you would see thats its genuine.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Soooo how fast is it.

Looks schweet.

Edit stuff above doesnt sound promising..

Well its a fair wack faster than a normal 172 thats for sure. clears the box fast and tops out at around 120-125mph. The gearbox really makes the car. being able to change gear, pinned without the clutch makes a huge difference to the speed. and you can downshift without the clutch too. but ill leave that for when im actually racing it. when its being used on track and practicing on hillclimbs ill just use the clutch to preserve the box. Rebuilds arent cheap so it makes sense as it will last alot longer with regular oil changes.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Anyway moving on.. I fitted the sparco ADV seat to the car today, and tried to straighten the bonnet out a bit.

The corbeau that was already in it only weighed 6.4kgs my ADV is 10kgs. I dont usually like adding weight but the ADV is one of the few seats i find comfortable and has the added safety of the sidewings which is a must as i dont allways drive it with a helmet on. Its a pretty wide seat so im think im going to opt for a pro 2000 passenger seat due to limited space. Also the extra £80 saved can be spent better elsewhere.

The bonnet straightening could of gone better. its was pretty caved in on the front. due to crap access from the underside i couldnt get my hands in many places to pop the dents out. so had to drill holes and poke rods through to push out the metal which was less than ideal as it ment i got alot of outward pin dents. but it will do the job for now just needed it straight enough so didnt get hassle from the old bill.

No pics as my phone ran out of battery, not that any of it is very interesting but i shall try get some tomorrow.

Have also ordered a new vertical handbrake lever as i dont like the one thats in it atm. so will be fitting that when it comes down.

Found my speedline chrono's lurking at the back of my lockup aswell. will post some pics of them to see if people think they would look any good on the car or not.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
With the cosmetic mods you['ve suggested this will be mint!!! Cup racer on the road! ACE!

Hi Mike,

I think you may have misunderstood my post :dapprove:

I think the cars great and i'm sure you'll have fun with it, the point i was trying to make is that it is NOT road legal like you think it is, if a copper was to stop you there's a good chance the car would be taken from you.

I've spent a lot of time registering cars correctly (kitcars/imports etc) and basically whoever built that car hasn't.

It something that the police/vosa take very seriously and if caught out, confiscation of the vehicle is common practice.

If the cars shell is infact an original cup racer shell that has been modified to rhd, then there is no way you can correctly register the car playing by the book (without iva the car)

But if the cars shell is infact a 1.2 p plate car, then you can get round things by informing the dvla of the changes (ie engine capacity colour ect) If this is the case then there would the vin numbers stamped in car matching the log book (v5) if they don't match, then its up to you what you do, but remember in the event of accident your insurers will just void your insurance.

Anyway enjoy the car, plus with being in Jersey things could be different for you (wool over eyes etc ;))

Chris

Well its a fair wack faster than a normal 172 thats for sure. clears the box fast and tops out at around 120-125mph. The gearbox really makes the car. being able to change gear, pinned without the clutch makes a huge difference to the speed. and you can downshift without the clutch too. but ill leave that for when im actually racing it. when its being used on track and practicing on hillclimbs ill just use the clutch to preserve the box. Rebuilds arent cheap so it makes sense as it will last alot longer with regular oil changes.

Do not use the clutch on up shifts but use it going down the box.

clio 172 cup
Thought id post up the ex clio cup car i have recently purchased. Its number 007, ex tcr car i think. If anyone knows anything more about this car please feel free to let me know. I also need to get hold of some spares too, like drive shafts, whishbones, wheels etc. oh and also some brake ducts after a small incident i had tonight.

Here are some old pics that i got from the owner ive since cleaned it up.

daveebaypics021.gif

daveebaypics016.gif

CopyofCopyofdaveebaystuff003.gif

CopyofCopyofdaveebaystuff001.gif

daveebaypics022.gif

Its cleaned up really well inside and out now, im suprised how clean the shell is for a cup car. If ive got my facts right i think this car had a new shell in 2006 anyway so that would explain that.

First jobs on the list are:

-fit my Sparco pro ADV drivers seat, will get a matching passenger seat once ive sold the ones in the car.
-Pop the dent out that i managed to put in the bonnet tonight after having a conflict with a hedge.
-do something with the brake ducts as there both a bit worse for wear after tonight.
-over the winter get a new side skirt, front & rear bumpers, bonnet have them all sprayed so its minty mint again.
-repaint the current speedling corse 2120's i have (only 4) but hopefully will get hold of some more.

But more important than all of that is to get some events under my belt in the car. I have a hill climb at the end of the month so hopefully that will go well.

At the age of 20 i never imagined id own a car like this so its pretty much a dream come true, im over the moon with it.
were did you buy it and how much do these go for ?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Mike,

I think you may have misunderstood my post :dapprove:

I think the cars great and i'm sure you'll have fun with it, the point i was trying to make is that it is NOT road legal like you think it is, if a copper was to stop you there's a good chance the car would be taken from you.

I've spent a lot of time registering cars correctly (kitcars/imports etc) and basically whoever built that car hasn't.

It something that the police/vosa take very seriously and if caught out, confiscation of the vehicle is common practice.

If the cars shell is infact an original cup racer shell that has been modified to rhd, then there is no way you can correctly register the car playing by the book (without iva the car)

But if the cars shell is infact a 1.2 p plate car, then you can get round things by informing the dvla of the changes (ie engine capacity colour ect) If this is the case then there would the vin numbers stamped in car matching the log book (v5) if they don't match, then its up to you what you do, but remember in the event of accident your insurers will just void your insurance.

Anyway enjoy the car, plus with being in Jersey things could be different for you (wool over eyes etc ;))

Chris

I see what you are saying and its a fair point. it does actually have a VIN number rivited to the shell along with the renault VIN stickers on the doors. But it's been permanantly exported, so how its been registered in UK is irrelvant now. I will be registering it 100% correct over here as a Renault Sport Clio Cup, we have no sva test here so it will sail through.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
This is my kind of car, love the dash.

What sort of money do these sell for?

Ive seen some ratty ones for as low as 7k, there was one on piston heads a few weeks ago for 8-9k. but as most have now been upgraded now with more powerful engines, better brakes etc they can go for more. mines kitted out for rallying so i payed a little more than the average but im happy with what i payed for it, you just cant find and 180-200 bhp rally car with a sequential box for lower than 15-20k nowdays, so this to me was a bargain.

Do not use the clutch on up shifts but use it going down the box.

I dont really know to much about these sequential dog boxes, but surely using the clutch is better for it?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, there wont be much in the way of updates for a bit as ive just been hit with a nice tax bill. But ill post as i prepare it for my up and coming first event and hopefully have some pictures of me competing in it.

Last edited:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yozza sport sell them, or you can buy them from renault sport. but there over £100 iirc thats why im looking for some used ones. as ill be taking moulds of them to makes up some spares.

Nissan 350z
Just browsed Yozzas website and i didnt spot anything. Im guessing its a phonecall job. Shame they are so expensive as they look amazing and i imagine its a simple upgrade as well :)