ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eurofest @ Castle Combe - A few Clios included (56K Warning)

106 GTi
Some shots from Saturday at Castle Combe - Euro themed action day, icluding a few clios.

Full Gallery here - http://www.richtreen.co.uk/events/eurofest/

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

I'm sure an old bearded bloke wont manage to wring a set of coilovers out of his sack no matter how much you want him to.

106 GTi
Loony said:
I'm sure an old bearded bloke wont manage to wring a set of coilovers out of his sack no matter how much you want him to.

Shame!

ukaskew said:
Image 4249, awesome!

Getting quite jealous and envious now actually, stunning quality and technique.

IMG_4249.jpg

Cheers Chris :eek: - shame about the sun on the bonnet was my thoughts on it?

When I see a car I really want to shoot I panic and they come out crap seems to be my main problem :(

Rich said:
Shame!
Cheers Chris :eek: - shame about the sun on the bonnet was my thoughts on it?

When I see a car I really want to shoot I panic and they come out crap seems to be my main problem :(

Hehe it's not just me then! I always mess up the Clio pics at events like these as I'm desperate to get a good picture, so annoying!

Sun on the bonnet isn't too bad, seems very well exposed so I would live with that. Just look at the wheels, so sharp and dynamic. 1/320 for that shot?

Glad this one came up, someone said that my pics of red cars were well off colour-wise despite a good exposure. I can see it now, my Ferrari is pink compared to yours!

Mine:

94146497-M.jpg

Yours:

IMG_4203.jpg

106 GTi
ukaskew said:
Hehe it's not just me then! I always mess up the Clio pics at events like these as I'm desperate to get a good picture, so annoying!

Sun on the bonnet isn't too bad, seems very well exposed so I would live with that. Just look at the wheels, so sharp and dynamic. 1/320 for that shot?

Normally when someone asks me to get pics of them, or I really want a certain car, - they come up poor, it makes me over concentrate, rather than being relaxed.

Yeah - 1/320 for most shots with the 300mm prime on, it is too heavy for much less. Though I tried slower shutter speeds at the RWS with it and the IS switched on, but have not looked through them yet so we will see, For safetys sake at Combe on Sat was 1/320 was my normal setting with that lens.

106 GTi
ukaskew said:
Glad this one came up, someone said that my pics of red cars were well off colour-wise despite a good exposure. I can see it now, my Ferrari is pink compared to yours!

Mine:

94146497-M.jpg

Yours:

IMG_4203.jpg

That is an odd one, that shot is straight of the camera, just resized. On the other hand your Blues, on Williams Clios inparticular always looks alot richer in colour than shots I have taken. Something in the Cameras software maybe?

Could well be an in-camera issue. Not going to dwell on it anyway, got a buyer lined up at work for the FZ20 and with the extras I'm selling I will have £400 to play with soon plus whatever I decide to add to that, 350D and kit lens looks most likely, will save my ass off to get a decent telephoto before next Spring when the motorsport season kicks off again!

106 GTi
Nice one, Getting the body and then saving up between now and next spring for the lens should make it easier on the pocket.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hoorah!! ^^^^ thats my mate car rich, the one i keep badgering you about! The 1.9 on Carbs! Proper quick, and b*****d loud!

106 GTi
Nice one Dan, he was on our club stand, he was pushed out of the pit lane at one point think he was having some issues?

Going to try and be critical, I put my pictures up for a grilling on some forums and although it seems incredibly harsh, it does wonders compared to the "great pics" comments, which although good to hear, don't really help you improve. I respect that it's as much personal preference as anything else, but these are my thoughts...

Whilst technically very good, there is a lack of that certain something about many of the pics. The green BMW and Valver have something that many of the other pictures lack, they both look aggressive and really show the strains of a trackday on a car. The low angle helps a lot too.

They are all too perfect. An odd comment perhaps, but if you thumb through a copy of Evo or something you don't often see a standard perfectly sharp pan. A bit of blur can add to a picture immensly. I varied my speed of movment mid-pan and realised it gave an interesting effect, such as below. It depends what you want from your pictures I guess, but it's good to experiment.

94146429-M.jpg

Something along those lines would be good to see. It's easy to tell the difference between just completely messing up a shot, and trying to show the sense of speed in a different way, so I don't worry about people thinking it's just a crap shot.

Finally. What are you trying to achieve? A record of the day or some great shots for your collection? If it's the latter I found stepping completely outside your comfort zone works wonders. I forced myself to take only 1/100 or slower during a whole day at Combe once for side-on pans, and whilst I had many many shots to bin, the few that I started to get towards the end of the day when I nailed the technique are some of my favourite pics ever. You forget 500 decent pics, but 3 or 4 stunners will stay with you for a very long time.

106 GTi
Cheers Chris. A lot of the shots I take a Quarry and Camp all look a little boring due to the height, hence tying to find somewhere lower to shoot. Leading on from that I find pans a bit boring so tend not to try take to many.

The sample shot above looks intresting though.

As for what to achieve, mostly getting sharp shots to use in the club magazine and of friends in the clubs cars. Managed to get some published in PGTi last month so am happy. This year really is a learning process from shooting in full auto and sports mode getting and getting fozen shots to where I am now.

I tend to upload a fair percentage of what I have taken but out of all the pictures in the gallery I only really like a handfull.

Ones I did like myself

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

Rich said:
This year really is a learning process from shooting in full auto and sports mode getting and getting fozen shots to where I am now.

See that scares me, just sold the FZ20 so I'm literally going to be starting from scratch again next season with the DSLR, I'm looking forward to 2008 or something when I actually know what I'm doing!

What settings do you use for the rear shots at Bobbies like the examples above? Look really really nice and different from what most people take around the circuit. Seems to still be a sense of movement in the wheels etc so I'm guessing a fairly slow shutter speed?

106 GTi
You will be fine Chris, I had not used an SLR for 5 years and never tried to shoot pictures of moving cars until last Feb.

1/320 for them just like most shots from the day, seems perfectly suited to the 300mm prime. I tried on Sat to get further round then just Camp or Quarry.