ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ethan's Monaco Blue MK3

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Well, it all started in August 2013 when I started looking for a MK3 Clio as my first car. Having seen a few heaps and a few with high mileage I went to view this car in Gillingham, Kent.

flj37m.jpg

Me and my Dad took the car for a test drive, and quickly put down a deposit to pick it up the next weekend when I could have someone drive the car back for me (I hadn't passed yet).

2i1c9ef.jpg

24pgy2t.jpg

The car seemed like a good clean example with a very low mileage of only 30,000. The car was due a service and belt change, but had MOT and a small amount of tax. The next weekend came and I brought the car home with my Dad and Stepmum! I also quickly booked it in for a belt change, and at home gave it a clean, changed all the filters and the oil, and then changed the spark plugs for brand new NGKs.

2q3ysnb.jpg

Soon enough and with a bit of browsing on Cliosport, I was keen to start looking into mods. The first thing I did was use a scrap of carbon fibre vinyl I had to see what it would look like on the door sill as a bit of protection when people are getting in and out.

ngsoer.jpg

I then took out the stereo and fitted an AUX lead going into the glovebox from the back of the stereo. Luckily the stereo fitted already was an update list so I was happy to keep the standard Clio stereo.

3449jsg.jpg

I then saw the LED bulbs everyone has been using and wanted to try some for mine, so on eBay I quickly bought some LEDs and tried them in the light. The first ones I tried were these below, but they seem very blue so i've already ordered a different set.

2mpd9mt.jpg

More updates to follow!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I then got bored and had some hammerite, so decided to paint the front brake calipers. The color I had was red so I cleaned up the calipers and painted them with the wheels off.

2ir7wgl.jpg

I also found some black hammerite, so was going to paint the rear drum brakes black rather than the rusty color they are at the moment! Still meaning to do this though.

akkeuh.jpg

Then realized there was a sloshing noise under the windscreen, and with help from you guys on cliosport I soon learnt about the scuttle panel drains. I wasn't sure what to use to unblock them, and then I got a neat trick from JP83 about using an old aerial as its flexible enough and works well, this was a great tip!

2zoi0ds.jpg

Christmas approached and I got a trolley jack and axle stands from my amazing girlfriends parents! Going to come in useful in the future with oil changes and one day lowering the car perhaps!

2a0kozs.jpg

1zmnvcy.jpg

I then bought an LED boot light, and two LED number plate lights that I soon fitted, and almost broke the number plate lights as I bent the clips, but soon managed to bend them back and they are a tight fit again!

etw2fd.jpg

That's fairly up to date now!

Plans for the future:
LED sidelight bulbs
Get steering track rod ends replaced
Get suspension top mount replaced as it's knocking on the passenger front side
Stubby/bee sting aerial
Left passenger front speaker as at the moment it crackles slightly

Long term plans:
Lowering on springs or maybe coils depending on money
Canasta alloys
Sports interior
Discreet spoiler
RS grills

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Not a bad start buddy. Your plans sound good too, you should definitely bring the RS grill to the top of your list though. Completely changes the front end of the car and can be picked up second hand for not many pennies now :)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Not a bad start buddy. Your plans sound good too, you should definitely bring the RS grill to the top of your list though. Completely changes the front end of the car and can be picked up second hand for not many pennies now :)

The steering track rod ends are the first thing to sort and then the front left suspension washer that's broken!

Added to the plans though are the silvervisions all round too! Love them on your car Dan!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Ordered what I believe is a replacement washer for the suspension :) Also rung round for some quotes for the steering track rod ends, cheapest so far is Mr Clutch for 65 quid a side including laser alignment at SEtyres opposite so will likely go for this!

Elise, Trophy #31
Very nice. Brilliantly done resisting the temptation to take your red Hammerite anywhere near the rear drum! Nice work so far... stick with the tasteful mods!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Very nice. Brilliantly done resisting the temptation to take your red Hammerite anywhere near the rear drum! Nice work so far... stick with the tasteful mods!

Ah yeah think Black looks smarter, I like a sort of original look but nicer? So it could blend into a traffic jam but you could maybe step back and think "Oh actually that does look really smart!" :) Thanks :) Got the quote for my steering track rod ends to be done thats the next thing, £130+£20 tracking. Then the suspension washers being changed ASAP.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Looking good, I like that you're not going all out doing mods and just getting the important bits done. I look forward to seeing the progress!

Slowly but surely :) I have alot of plans but have my priorities first :) May is when this thread will speed up! (Leave sixth form and go into work :()

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Done loads since this was last updated, shameful really how up to date this thread is! Will update it when I get a free moment at work and can plug my phone in for pictures :)

Things I've done:
Got a three light interior light
New LED bulbs all round (much whiter)
HID Kit (Yes I have projectors)
LED Sidelights
New track rod ends
Full service
Bought some tailor made fitted mats
Got a civic type R aerial
Fitted Citroen Xsara washer jets
Relocated the aux lead to the handbrake area
Fitted a Parrot kit
Started colour coding with some spare trims
Cleaned inside and out of the wheels
Painted the brake drums with Hammerite black
Changed the drivers side window switch, and took apart the whole regulator mechanism and cleaned it (window squeaked going up and down!)
Fitted full cabasse speakers throughout
Fitted new centre console trim as mine was worn and scratched
Fitted new mirrors on inside sunvisors, using the higher spec ones with the sliding cover
Replaced the wiper blades
Mended the top mount knocking I had for a while with new top mount washers and bolts
Changed all the other bulbs to Xenon white look bulbs
Painted the front grill satin black (looks excellent and no more trim blackener!)