ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS on 172 Cup

1.2 172 conversion
Am also doing the epas steering conversion on mine as my car started as a 1.2 with epas already fitted but i put a 172 engine in..does anybody have any idea what belt to get as i will be taking out the pas pump and the aircon pump ?

1.2 172 conversion
Isnt the 5pk 847 just to compensate for just tge pas pump going ? Or would it be easier to leave the aircon pump in its not connected to pipes and never will be connected..also what brackets and tensioner would i have to use

1.2 172 conversion
Have noticed every1 has a 172 cup..my engine was out of a normal 172 so will i have to buy cup alternator brackets and tensioner ?

Lionel Richie
to an extent, hard to explain, with the EPAS its the same "feel" at 5mph as it is at 100mph the only thing that weights the steering at slow speed is the tyres

originally the EPAS on the non sport clios is speed sensitive, so the faster you go it reduces the effort of the EPAS which works well

hydraulic effort just feels nicer IMO

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
to an extent, hard to explain, with the EPAS its the same "feel" at 5mph as it is at 100mph the only thing that weights the steering at slow speed is the tyres

originally the EPAS on the non sport clios is speed sensitive, so the faster you go it reduces the effort of the EPAS which works well

hydraulic effort just feels nicer IMO

If you turn the assistance level down on the epas you get much better feel Fred, or at least that's what I've found. With the 16's and road tyres on the car is driven with a very small amount of assistance, but on the 15's and 888's I run it the same level as James does - full assistance. I tried various levels of assistance on the 888's and the best feel I got was from either full or a qtr of a turn back on the adjuster knob.

Did you find that it was 'wandering' as well btw?

And before anyone thinks it, I'm not a limp wristed blouse wearing poodle walker. Working on hgv's for a living see's to that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On the corsa setup it will pull if you havent got the column aligned centrally in the sensor.

Not sure if the clio ones is similar?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
With the assistance on full mine feels very light and with the toe out it does wander a bit at high speeds.
I stick it down to 3/4 and it feels fine then :)

Yeah that's what I thought anyway tbh phil, but thanks for the input. What do you drive with yours set to then? 3/4's? On the 16's I run in between 1/4 and 1/2 with a 320mm steering wheel.

Yeah that's what I thought anyway tbh phil, but thanks for the input. What do you drive with yours set to then? 3/4's? On the 16's I run in between 1/4 and 1/2 with a 320mm steering wheel.

Yeah around 3/4 on the road then down to 1/2 on track. 320mm wheel too I think (renault sport jobby)
That's on 205/50/15 rainsports (lol)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Fundamental underlying issues there that are exaggerated by the epas imo there Fred. If the assistance was turned down I'm sure it would improve it too. Mine does nigh on the exact same thing at full assistance. Watch this and you'll see what I mean. Granted though, the ring is a bumpier circuit.
​[video=youtube_share;zMwiIwex2uA]http://youtu.be/zMwiIwex2uA[/video]

That's mine at cadwell with the EPAS on about 2/3rds - far far more stable than both of your videos.

Just a thought and I could be wrong - but are you guys using the original rack looped back + epas, where as I'm using a DCi rack?
I'm starting to wonder if the original rack with loop back still offers some assistance in some way as people with just the looped back rack say it's still easy to live with, whereas when I just had the DCi rack on I could barely move it on the driveway

Last edited by a moderator:
I had (always do) mine on 1\4 to 1\2 then Sam said it was V hard under load trying to turn left at Mansfield (after the gooseneck down hill bit) so put it on 3\4's. Full on is way too light I think.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had (always do) mine on 1\4 to 1\2 then Sam said it was V hard under load trying to turn left at Mansfield (after the gooseneck down hill bit) so put it on 3\4's. Full on is way too light I think.

Presumably the full on setting is the same as what the standard car will use during parallel parking manouvres in which case yes that will be way too much assist.

Yup the nob just fakes a wheel speed input into the PCM

On full that's the under 10mph parking mode lol

If you could be bothered it probably wouldn't be too hard to fit an actual speed sensor and wire it into an arduino to give you variable assistance but there does seem to be quite a delay between turning the nob and the assistance changing so I'm not sure it would be reactive enough for track use

Mine doesn't seem to be over assisting like most though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just a thought and I could be wrong - but are you guys using the original rack looped back + epas, where as I'm using a DCi rack?
I'm starting to wonder if the original rack with loop back still offers some assistance in some way as people with just the looped back rack say it's still easy to live with, whereas when I just had the DCi rack on I could barely move it on the driveway

how would a looped rack offer assistance? that just makes no sense at all, physics is physics.

More likely is that it offers a small amount of additional resistance if anything, which then you end up turning the electric assist up to overcome, which means that the actual feel of the car where the caster is trying to pull the wheels straight etc ends up lost in translation as its only part of the weight you are feeling and the rack is the rest.

More likely though is its just different people opinions, especially as werent you on only rainsports in which case you probably didnt have enough grip to feel it pulling around if it was, lol.

More likely is that it offers a small amount of additional resistance if anything, which then you end up turning the electric assist up to overcome, which means that the actual feel of the car where the caster is trying to pull the wheels straight etc ends up lost in translation as its only part of the weight you are feeling and the rack is the rest.

This is it, I was trying to think what was different, the car doesn't self centre after a hairpin now - whereas before EPAS, with 3.5 degrees of caster, the wheel would be whipped out of your hand the moment you exited the turn. This is a big loss, as a racer.:( Now I have to straighten the wheel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is it, I was trying to think what was different, the car doesn't self centre after a hairpin now - whereas before EPAS, with 3.5 degrees of caster, the wheel would be whipped out of your hand the moment you exited the turn. This is a big loss, as a racer.:( Now I have to straighten the wheel.

Even if there is a small amount of extra resistance I dont think that would take away the self centre as much as you are describing, slow it down maybe but not remove it, would be surprised if there isnt some other problem as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Possible, the rack is the only diffrence in our EPAS set ups.

Is that definately true?
Are they both running the same geometry, the same tyres, is the rack aligned the same relative to the angle sensors etc?

Just cause its the same parts, doesnt mean one doesnt have another issue IMHO

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ok, I surrender.....but yes you are correct it's not the only difference.lol.

Not trying to make you surrender mate, just dont want you to go to all the hassle of ripping the rack out and replacing it and then still find you have an issue thats all.

But that said, Id still sooner use a non hydrualic rack if it was me, like Phil has done.

I know, not about to rip it all apart as it works. You do cover every all aspects which is informative - I was just comparing my old set up with the new one. And as you say I may be over exaggerating the non-centering of the wheels in my excitement of finding a difference.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Think there is a Volvo alternative (bigash runs one I think)

I run this bracket as well. Doesn't give much adjustability. Parts are a touch over £100 from renault. Believe I listed the part numbers earlier in the thread. I used the belt 5pk830 from memory.

Is that definately true?
Are they both running the same geometry, the same tyres, is the rack aligned the same relative to the angle sensors etc?

Just cause its the same parts, doesnt mean one doesnt have another issue IMHO

Angle sensor is part of the column not the rack. The wheel can only fit in one position on the column. You'd know if the column was fitted out of center on the rack as it would have to be a full 180 degrees out to meet the connector. Unless the bottom connector has been knocked completely off the column which I very much doubt.

Tyre resistance would make the self centering faster if anything.
The only other thing that could affect it is the castor angle - but I'm running standard through PMS top mounts and so are others.
Only other thing I could think is the cup wishbones running more castor than others - but again I very very much doubt that.

If you google converting power rack to manual a LOT of people actually cut the piston off the rack.
Does power steering fluid expand when hot? If so if the rack gets hot and there's now no expansion bottle or anywhere for the fluid to go as it's looped on itself surely that will add a fair bit of resistance?