ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Enough is enough???

Ph 1 172
So at what point do you time call it time on owning a car....and get a new one

basically in the last 6-18months my car has needed

new shocks and springs
Engine rebuild
cambelt, dephaser
injectors
coilpack
lambda sensor(4 months ago)
usually tyres, mot, service
new exhaust

and now today 4 months after lambda sensor was changed i think its gone again..seems like I can't go a month without it being in the garage I've always had it serviced regularly and looked after it.....but at what point do you call it a day and stop spending money on a car that's only worth £1200 max?

Cant figure out if I'm just sick of the car or because I'm now doing 400 miles a week the reliability is starting to get to me used to love my phase 1 172 but I only used to drive it 150 miles a month

(RANT OVER)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
new shocks and springs - Most cars do.
Engine rebuild - That's bad luck. Although if you'd have broke the car for spares, you'd have made money.
cambelt, dephaser - All clios need this. It shouldn't have come at a suprise. And if you've rebuilt it, why didn't you do it at the same time??
injectors - Surely done at time of rebuild? Or at least sent off to be cleaned? Second hand sets are £25 so nothing to worry about.
coilpack - Again, £10 from ebay. Not worth worrying about.
lambda sensor(4 months ago) Sadly lots of cars need these. The joys of emissions and new technology.
usually tyres, mot, service, new exhaust - All cars need this. It's part of motoring.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I'd suggest buying a better car next time though. Checking the history for belts, checking the tyres and exhaust and suspension is all pretty basic stuff.

Mec 350 slk manual
Stick with it , I have had mine for over 5 years and spent £4000 over that time and I keep chucking money at it

Ph 1 172
new shocks and springs - Most cars do.
Engine rebuild - That's bad luck. Although if you'd have broke the car for spares, you'd have made money.
cambelt, dephaser - All clios need this. It shouldn't have come at a suprise. And if you've rebuilt it, why didn't you do it at the same time??
injectors - Surely done at time of rebuild? Or at least sent off to be cleaned? Second hand sets are £25 so nothing to worry about.
coilpack - Again, £10 from ebay. Not worth worrying about.
lambda sensor(4 months ago) Sadly lots of cars need these. The joys of emissions and new technology.
usually tyres, mot, service, new exhaust - All cars need this. It's part of motoring.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I'd suggest buying a better car next time though. Checking the history for belts, checking the tyres and exhaust and suspension is all pretty basic stuff.

had the car for 5-6 years it was running perfectly for all that time till recently. And I never changed for 2nd hand parts as in my eyes it's just a risk for something to go wrong. I understand what your saying just seems to be coming up for the time of another big bill hence the rant lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Apart from the rebuild of which most other jobs like dan said should have been done at the time. In all honesty that's not that bad in the time you've owned it. It's probably due to the fact the money you have spent in relation to how much the car is worth is pissing you off? I'd keep it providing its running ok now, apart from the sensor that if you bought new will be under warranty.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
f**k me, if i kicked off the DCI would been shot by now, almost 3-4k into it lol. Couldn't care less, it's my pride and joy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
had the car for 5-6 years it was running perfectly for all that time till recently. And I never changed for 2nd hand parts as in my eyes it's just a risk for something to go wrong. I understand what your saying just seems to be coming up for the time of another big bill hence the rant lol

5-6 years and you're moaning?? FLOL!! You've done good mate. You can't complain about that at all.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I paid 300 straight away when I bought my impreza, oil leak. It would need to take something drastic for me throw in the towel, £2 a litre would do the trick lol

Renault Clio MK3

Are you expecting your car to always be perfect?

Ph 1 172
Na bit always perfect was great when I first had it suppose the point I'm getting at as because the car is now rocking on nearly 14 years old it seems to be getting to the point where loads of things need replacing due to wear and tear and old age so when would you call time on ownership

Renault Clio MK3
Na bit always perfect was great when I first had it suppose the point I'm getting at as because the car is now rocking on nearly 14 years old it seems to be getting to the point where loads of things need replacing due to wear and tear and old age so when would you call time on ownership

Depends if you still want the car, if you've had enough of it and don't want to sink money in getting it repaired and back up to scratch, then get rid of it?

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
It's simple, if you stop enjoying the car, then is the time to sell it.

This is spot on! If you enjoy it, it's worth spending the money.

At least then you know it's been looked after and everything that's required has been replaced. Could be starting all over again if you buy something else. Personally, I would say that's pretty good going for a 14 year old car you have owned for 6-7 years.

RB 182 195bhp
If you don't enjoy it anymore, then sell. But don't forget changing cars always costs, changing insurance, new car will inevitably be more money than you get for yours, and then the things that always seem to go wrong in the first month of ownership lol

S4 Avant
I got fed up of the clio constantly costing 200-300 every month just in repairs.

Many people thought I was mad to get an S4 as the "reliable" alternative, but I live a s**t load more comfortably only having to shell out on the car every other month.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If any car was costing me that much a month I would fall out of love pretty damn quick lol.