ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engines dead?

This car is a shared car between me and my brother, he was driving it and it kept stalling from overheating but he kept going, the engine started to make a rattling noise on the left side but he kept going, it kept coming and going around 2700 - 3000 RPM.

There was smoke coming from underneath the left side of the engine and it eventually went after he let it cool down, after a little while there was smoke coming out the exhaust a gey/blue colored smoke.

The engine finally died and he threw water over the engine and filled the radiator with tap water, a little under room temp. Every time we start the motor it just doesn't do anything at all it makes some sluggish moan and dies.

What do you guys think the problem is? And will this cost me alot to fix?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Fucked ! Basicly under stupidity rather than stopping , everything inside that engine is now wrecked.
Rapid cooling won't of done it any good

Well I just went to collect the car and apparently its gone, so somebody towed it from the side of the road in the middle of know-where on a deserted car park, right..

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Dunno, do you think I should scrap it? Or drop in a new engine

Depends which is cheaper tbh,
if it wasn't broke before throwing cold water on it will have finished it off.

Well I just went to collect the car and apparently its gone, so somebody towed it from the side of the road in the middle of know-where on a deserted car park, right..

So it's been nicked?

Depends which is cheaper tbh,
if it wasn't broke before throwing cold water on it will have finished it off.

So it's been nicked?

Not too sure if it was dead before or after he threw cold water in the radiator. The vehicle appears to of been taken waiting on more details though, brothers a idiot.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
lol this thread has further twists and turns I shall be watching closely to how this unfolds.

Why? The engine was working after he did it, he did it about 3 or 4 times during his trip. It's currently at a garage now, my dads friend is looking at it, am I going to be expecting alot of work to be done or is it worth finding a new engine on Ebay to replace this one with, I just want the cheapest method I don't have that much money.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Rapid contraction of hot metal causes stress fractures, if not massive cracks,
best thing to do is just leave the bonnet up and let it cool down on it''s own.

You may be lucky and got away with it, but i'll be very surprised.

Rapid contraction of hot metal causes stress fractures, if not massive cracks,
best thing to do is just leave the bonnet up and let it cool down on it''s own.

You may be lucky and got away with it, but i'll be very surprised.
Crap.. I am gutted if this is a major job. If I buy a new engine from a scrap yard will I need to do anything with DVLA? The same size engine would be in there, or would I need to declare a conversion of the same engine?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Crap.. I am gutted if this is a major job. If I buy a new engine from a scrap yard will I need to do anything with DVLA? The same size engine would be in there, or would I need to declare a conversion of the same engine?

No you're only changing like for like, same as any other part that breaks or wears out.

Renault Clio182 bean
If your fitting the same size engine that's already fitted then nothing needs declaring at all.

Ok thank you. Well I will see about getting a new engine and dropping it in. What price could I expect for a mechanic to drop it in?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
lol just noticed the OP's name!

perhaps its his brother that has signed up after all?

what car is it? engine should be cheap enough (car dependant) changing it is a couple of hundred £

lol just noticed the OP's name!

perhaps its his brother that has signed up after all?

what car is it? engine should be cheap enough (car dependant) changing it is a couple of hundred £

No lol, it's my car. Hmm I will take a look at the scrap yard shortly, thank you.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
How are you ment to fit another engine if you haven't a car to fit it in LOL!

Brings a a whole new Moron to ' an engine /four wheels and a steering wheel is all you need '

I sniff a bull shitter.

Retardism has killed the engine, next time your brother looks hot throw a jug of piss over him

For all the clever clogs here, the car was towed to a garage by my dads friend, but I wasn't told. It will cost £400 to repair as the head gasket is gone. Should I drop a new engine in or pay for the head gasket?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cambelt kit £100
Dephaser £120
Head gasket kit £80
Head bolts £75
Aux belt kit £55
Oil
Filter
Labour

And that's if there is no damage to the cam journal if the head got that hot.

Or new engine + get the belts done before fitting it.

Suzuki Jimny
WTF. How stupid do you have to be to keep driving an overheating car!

It'll be a lot more than £400.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Seriously how stupid!?

When my waterpump started to go my 172 got stupid warm.
as soon as that needle was pointing up I stopped for an hour and drove home at 30mph with heating on to help coolengine lol

you DONT KEEP DRIVING

Planning to buy a new engine and drop it in myself, soon as I find one that will fit the gearbox etc. Take it for an MOT and see if they spot anything wrong with it, then happy days. Driving my Vauxhall Insignia till that happens, what engine sizes are compatible with a 1.8L?

Last edited: