ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine starting issue

Scirocco GT 210
About a week ago my car suddenly decided it'd be a pain in the ass and struggle to start.

Sometimes (about half the time) when I turn the key, it turns over fine but the engine just doesn't fire up. I have to prod the accelerator pedal a couple of times to get it going. Once it has fired up it runs perfectly fine with no other problems whatsoever.

Any ideas why it sometimes needs this encouragement to start? It's not an immobiliser problem (I think) before anyone suggests that.

Thanks.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Mine does the same mate,

About 4 out of 10 times it doesn't start on the first key in the morinings, it's been with Renault 3 times now.

I've been told it's the flywheel sensor, but Renault won't listen to me and keep saying it's fine

RS Clio 172
Steve2004 said:
About a week ago my car suddenly decided it'd be a pain in the ass and struggle to start.

Sometimes (about half the time) when I turn the key, it turns over fine but the engine just doesn't fire up. I have to prod the accelerator pedal a couple of times to get it going. Once it has fired up it runs perfectly fine with no other problems whatsoever.

Any ideas why it sometimes needs this encouragement to start? It's not an immobiliser problem (I think) before anyone suggests that.

Thanks.

Try the TDC (Top Dead Centre)

Scirocco GT 210
Another thing. The engine starts fine if it's warm and has been very recently used. If it's been left for a short while, the starting trouble is back again.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Knackered battery , not holding a charge .Test it with a multimeter with the engine off . Anything less than 12.5volts and its on its way out .

Mint Clio Valver!
^^^
agree. i bet if you connect jump leads to your mates car (obv with his engine running) it'l spring into action every time.
was v.frustrating when RAC kept starting my car first time by doing that and i was sure it was spark plugs or distributer! but it wasn't missing a beat. hmph!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
na nothing to do with battery.. it works fine when it's warm.

It must be a sensor somewhere, TDC ones are common faults. I have 3 spare ones in my car incase they are needed!

Possibly fuelling system, is the pump priming right? (you would hear this if you listen behind you when you first turn your key in the ignition.)

Just a thought. Not sure, ask edde.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Andy_J said:
na nothing to do with battery.. it works fine when it's warm.

It must be a sensor somewhere, TDC ones are common faults. I have 3 spare ones in my car incase they are needed!

Possibly fuelling system, is the pump priming right? (you would hear this if you listen behind you when you first turn your key in the ignition.)

Just a thought. Not sure, ask edde.

Worth checking though don't you think ? Doesn't cost anything to check . There's alot of common faults on em ,thats why its not easy to diagnose straight away .The batteries renault fit as standard are pretty piss poor imo , only 420amps , but its hard trying to find a heavy duty one , because of the lack of space your limited to what you can buy .

If it were the battery the car would struggle to turn the engine over... As previously mentioned it sounds like TDC sensor... Having the same issue on 172.. I haven't replaced the sensor yet but cleaned it and been ok so far tuch wood!

Scirocco GT 210
Thanks for the replies.

It's not the battery, the voltage is correct and everything and it's turning over fine, it's the firing start that's the problem.

How can I get to this TDC sensor and see if it's ok/clean it etc? What does it look like?

Mint Clio Valver!
i've had a 420A battery in my valver which requires a 520A (muppet put the wrong one in!) the 420A has no problem turning the engine over, just the initial start up in the cold its not too happy with. as it says above, its free to find out! don't go spending money and wasting time on little annoying bits when it could be as simple as replacing the batt.