ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine sounds supercharged

Meg 230 R26 F1
car went in for M.O.T today, passed fine, but has come back sounding like it has a supercharger bolted onto the engine

there is a quiet 'whine' noise whenever the accelerator is pressed, gently or vigorously, through all gears and all revs

any ideas what the problem might be?

thanks for any help

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
your mechanic has secretly supercharged you engine because he is a very nice man! ;)

Meg 230 R26 F1
nope checked that...cant see one

no one else had this problem?

pretty sure its not the belts as they were changed 13 months ago

Meg 230 R26 F1
checked that...i have a bmc cda on it, connctions at both ends are fine...tiny hole in the caf, where it rubs a piece a metal strut near battery, but that was there before, and it never made that noise

BMW E92/Audi S3
I want him to work on my car, i want dat sik noise. brup brup..
Nah it sounds like an air filter to me too pal

renault clio sport 182
i’ve got same noise on mine its the auxilllary belt tensioner and guide roller. thats wat it’ll b

Meg 230 R26 F1
and is that an easy fix (the aux belt tensioner, or carbon canister) ?

i'll give the airbox and filter a flush out tomo, but its not coming from that side of the engine bay

renault clio sport 182
not a 2min job no.i did other week wud prob b best tak ba to garage,wudnt attempt do it ya self

ValverInBits
wine noises are generally tensioners or pulleys. Who did your belts. Did they over tension anything?

Meg 230 R26 F1
they were done at the garage i bought the car from last may...only had a 3 month warrenty so cant really claim anything...i have no idea if they arte over tightened, but it only started today

only drove it about 500m to a different garage for mot, and it started on my way home after picking it up

RS mk2 172
I had this and it was my alternator bearings. Have a listen using a long screwdriver (handle to your ear and pointy bit on alternator)

Meg 230 R26 F1
what should i be listening for?

it only makes the noise when accelerator is pressed

any other suggestions/experiences of this?

ValverInBits
If it's one of the pulleys that is showing then there is an old trick with a screw driver to identify it.

Using a very very long screwdriver touch the tip on the stationary axle of the suspected pulley and press the handle into your ear. It's like a stethoscope

edit: obviously the engine needs to be running

Meg 230 R26 F1
how much do you think im looking at to get it fixed then, at a garage

and is it going to damage the engine if it continues for a while?

Meg 230 R26 F1
as i said earlier, the aux and cam belts were done last year and have only covered 9000 miles...

they shouldnt be near breaking should they?

Meg 230 R26 F1
i dont know if they changed all the tensioners...i didnt own the car when it was done, they fixed the cam and aux belts then sold it

are these likely to be checked if i get a service done on the car?

i dont know if they changed all the tensioners...i didnt own the car when it was done, they fixed the cam and aux belts then sold it

nope...as checking the belts is a major job...

the engine needs to be stripped down...in-order for one to gain full access to the belts and pulleys...

i suspect that only the belts had been changed on your vehicle and not the entire kit...

You can just chnage the belt its ben done before but its stupid tensioners are a week issue.

Meg 230 R26 F1
so i'm looking at quite a big expense at the garage then possibly?

is it ok to drive it still or should this be looked at asap?

so i'm looking at quite a big expense at the garage then possibly?

is it ok to drive it still or should this be looked at asap?

Get it done asap.

Depends on your view of big its going to be a fortune to get it fixed when it broken but cambelt etc isn't that bad for the work they will do.

Meg 230 R26 F1
took the car to Bucks Renaults, this morning, they said the noise is coming from one of two possible lower pulleys

one is a £45 part

other is a £145 part

but surely these would have been changed by the garage i bought the car from...they claimed to have spent £500 on a new cambelt, and noted it in service booklet

do you think i have any comeback on them or do you think i'll just have to pay for repair at another garage?

thanks for any opinions

'06 Black FF 197
I had similar noise on my megane 1.6, it turned out to be the aircon compressors bearing, did it for 70 pounds,

Meg 230 R26 F1
just for anyone wo has a similar noise...it turned out to be the lower idler pulley...

got a spare for £10 out of stock from a clio race car company (normally £70)

changed old and fitted new with 1 1/2 hours labour, so total of £88 and now car sounds fine again

thanks for the input in this thread