ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine rebuild

Clio 172, Shogun
Hi peeps

Bought an 02 172 to use as a track car. Bought it cheap ( so I thought ) with the timing belt jumped but turns out the bottom end has gone aswell. I've got the head repaired with new valves ect but getting round to repairing the bottom end, have a 2nd hand crank coming but my question is about bearings. Am I best off using OEM big end, mains from Renault, are these up to the job of trackday use or am I better going for the likes of ACL bearings. I know it's cheaper putting a 2nd hand engine in but want to freshen this one up as opposed to buying someone else's problem

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best solution really would be to tag the bearings, cuts down on the chance of them spinning, but its overkill for a trackday car really.

I'd just go with OEM ones for what you are doing, Adam at Renault Wolverhampton does mail order and is great on prices normally (he's in the traders section on here)

Clio 172, Shogun
Cheers guys. Will send Adam a message and price the parts up. Need some other bits and pieces to so will compile a list

Clio 172, Shogun
Going to find it hard to run this in ( when I've finished it lol) as Its not going on the road, how long do you run these in for normally ?

Clio 172, Shogun
Is that all ? When I blew my mk2 XR2 up and rebuilt that I'm sure I was told 1000 miles. Had a few slow boring trips to Scotland to rack the miles up

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I increase rpm over time and dont tend to use full revs for the first few hundred miles.
I use quite a lot of load straight away, just not big rpm.

Clio 172, Shogun
Cool, Sounds like i'll have to mince on at its first trackday then get faster as the day goes on,

Cheers for the info guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I ran my ITB 2.0 corsa engine in on the way to bedford, dropped the oil when I got there and put new in, and had a great day :)

If its just a cheap and cheerful freshen up there is no point worrying too much.