ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine rebuild tolerances

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Looking at doing an engine refresh, ready for reliability on track.

Where can I find the tolerances for bores, bearings, crankshaft and piston rings.

Any advice welcome

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
@bloke @NorthloopCup,

Morning gents I've heard anytime your the 2 go guys on here, with outrageous knowledge on the little clios.

I am contemplating doing a full engine rebuild, but after the tolerances mentioned above. Where am I likely to find these and can you shed any light on its worth doing the following.

Piston rings placement
Main bearings
Big end bearngs
Thrust washers
New pulleys and belts
New gaskets
New stem seals
Relap valves

Maybe looking at potentially some head work too, thinking of a skim, porting and polishing, and maybe some cat cams.

I'm pretty handy with the spanners, I have bore measuring device and also micrometer so I can do the measuring, just want to make sure it's done correctly.

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated

dan's cast offs.
Think everything is in the factory manual? Can download it easy enough. If not though you're just working to 'normal clearances etc.
With ring gaps majority of the time I've found they are pretty much ok out of the box but obviously that can vary from make to make and also bore wear.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
14BCD040-A343-41F2-AE2E-3502025FF3C2.png
@Tomo3292 here’s the R3 197 engine specs.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
@NorthloopCup thank you very much. Knew I seen it before, but couldn't find it at all when I needed it.

Only thing that worries is I've heard these engine can have dramas with spinning the 3rd bearing and I'm also hoping when I measure the crank end float the thrust washers I can use are standard size.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup thank you very much. Knew I seen it before, but couldn't find it at all when I needed it.

Only thing that worries is I've heard these engine can have dramas with spinning the 3rd bearing and I'm also hoping when I measure the crank end float the thrust washers I can use are standard size.
Post a pic up of your crank mate and I’ll be able to tell you how likely it is to happen.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Post a pic up of your crank mate and I’ll be able to tell you how likely it is to happen.
@NorthloopCup crwnk measured with a micrometer and all within tolerances. No deep scoring or pitting anyway, just a few dull shiny marks on the surface. I'm going to get it nicely polished up. Any pros to running King Bearings for a standard build? Probably get some cams and port matched inlets but that about it. Or is it best to stick a set on oe renault bearings in.

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_101028.jpg
    IMG_20181012_101028.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 129

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup crwnk measured with a micrometer and all within tolerances. No deep scoring or pitting anyway, just a few dull shiny marks on the surface. I'm going to get it nicely polished up. Any pros to running King Bearings for a standard build? Probably get some cams and port matched inlets but that about it. Or is it best to stick a set on oe renault bearings in.
King bearings have larger tolerances iirc as they’re more race biased, so you’re better off with standard bearings. Also, that crank is one of the ones that will potentially spin a centre main. All luck of the draw though I’m afraid.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
King bearings have larger tolerances iirc as they’re more race biased, so you’re better off with standard bearings. Also, that crank is one of the ones that will potentially spin a centre main. All luck of the draw though I’m afraid.
@NorthloopCup how do you work that one out mate? Is it due to the oil holes in the crank? Surely the best way would be to get tanged and better bearings? Or just try my luck with OE Bearings.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup how do you work that one out mate? Is it due to the oil holes in the crank? Surely the best way would be to get tanged and better bearings? Or just try my luck with OE Bearings.
It’s due to the lack of counterbalance weights on the crank mate.
If it’s going to spin, the tags on the block/rods won’t stop it. The crank flexes due to the poor design.

Trust me mate, I’ve been around these engines now for quite some time, so I know their downfalls.