ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Movement ?

Clio RS 182
Sorry if there has been a thread regarding the same problem, if so please direct me as i struggled to find it.

Basicaly the Engine in my 182 moves alot more in Idle than any other car i have come across, I've asked a few people about this and they mentioned its due to the fact that renault sport engines aren't that well refined compared to most other engines, which is fair enough, but i think mine is moving too much tbh.

I can be sat in the car (i.e. in a traffic jam etc) and the whole car will be juddering slightly.

Does this happen to anyone else?

If so, is it just down to the engine not being that well refined or could an engine mount be worn?

the engine mounts are fairly soft to begin with and it worsens with age; there are also a few other things that develop, which don't help (like the upper gearbox mounting bolt working loose). if they're all original, best bet's just in renewing them all and possibly uprating some. loads on search

Clio RS 182
Ok, Thanks for that.

Just done another search and found bits, looks like there are lots of people buying the KTR uprated engine mounts and poly bush kits.

Only thing that puts me off is people saying they make the interior of the car vibrate.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Can't you fill the dogbone with stickaflex to stop any movements?

the poly dogbone doesn't vibrate at all and the KTEC mounts aren't that bad for the control they have. decent compromise is poly dogbone + std everything else

Clio RS 182
the poly dogbone doesn't vibrate at all and the KTEC mounts aren't that bad for the control they have. decent compromise is poly dogbone + std everything else

Is it mainly the dogbone that causes the movement then?

sorry for sounding like a newb, but what is the purpose of the dogbone?

it probably is. the dogbone's a torque bush - tries to control fore and aft movement (doesn't actually support the engine, unlike the others)

Trophy #473
You will get a slight increase in Vibration on idle if you fit the poly dog bone tho but the gear change will feel a million times better.

Tav

Clio 197
I recommend standard mounts and a poly dog bone. I have the KTR engine mounts and I'm thinking about getting rid of them as they are a bit of a pain at times. The increased vibration should have to be a compromise for better engine control.

The engine note through the car does sound great at 4krpm + but there are alot of annoying buzzes, rattles and resonance at 2.5k and 3krpm for me. The silver dash trim is SO annoying at 3krpm.

If I revert back to original mounts I might try getting an engine torque damper to help the engines rock...might be better.

Clio RS 182
Thanks for the advice.

Might purchase the Poly Dogbone then and see how it goes, is it easy enough to fit?

Going to check all the engine mounts aswell, i know where the top left one is (plain to see) but where abouts are the other engine mounts located?

DMS

A thirsty 172
  Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
^ Just bushes,

all you need to do is remove the old ones, and remove this metal collar around the big hole, and press the new bushes in, and bolt them back onto the car, its that simple,

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah I had a look under the car the other day. It doesn't look difficult to remove the mount.
Jack up, support engine, remove mount, take bushes off, fit new ones, re-fit mount, lower car?

How hard are the bushes to press in? Is it something that can be done by hand or would I need to find somewhere with a press?

Clio 172
I changed my dogbone last night and the difference is noticeable already! - quite a few knocks and vibrations have stopped.

However, on idle the vibrations in the car itself are more, but I'm sure with use it'll soften up a bit and it'll sort itself out :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I changed my dogbone last night and the difference is noticeable already! - quite a few knocks and vibrations have stopped.

However, on idle the vibrations in the car itself are more, but I'm sure with use it'll soften up a bit and it'll sort itself out :)

It will soften up but it doesn't go completely! My new powerflex dogbone mount (from Kamracing) and new standard replacements for the others transformed my car. Gear change is far less sloppy and no knocking anymore. The whole car feels tighter and much better due to the engine staying still round corners and on bumps....

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Take the mounts out and full with tigerseal leave for 24hrs then refit..

Take the dogbone one out and do the same but also twist the rubber around 180degrees..

Has worked spot on with mine feels loads better on roads and tracks and no extra vibration on idle..

Also costs less than a tenner :cool:

172DD Cup
Hi, where abouts is the dogbone, do you need to get under the car?

The rest of the mounts, are you just buying the bushes or the actual mounts?

Do you HAVE to get them from Renault or can you get cheaper OEM from elsewhere?

Thanks

Clio 172 ph2
Anyone know a place in the midlands that can supply and fit these bushes? I'm getting the knocking in 1st/2nd gear under hard accelleration. From what i've read i'm guessing dog bone mount but not sure i fancy fitting it myself