ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine mounts. HELP NEEDED.

Clio 172 cup
I've just bought upper engine and upper gearbox mount. I've got the battery out of my 172 cup and I've got the engine supported but the nut won't come off. Is there a nack to this? or some good tips any one can suggest. My compressed impact gun won't get it off and I cant think of how else to do it. Please help me!

monaco 172
wat i done was got a spanner under the tray to were that bolts ends and theres a nut there so find that and you away wit the top bolt

Ph1
Your supporting jack might be putting pressure on the bolt / nut mate. Lower or raise, see if that helps.

You havent got the jack under the gearbox have you? If so it it should be under the engine sump

Clio 172 cup
The nut would not budge. I had to get the angle grinder on it to get it off. The worn mount would just twist with the socket. Luckily got another bold that fitted so eventually sorted it. Any way after 4 hours work I still have this clicking/creaking sound when the engine engages/disengages while pulling away stopping. It's a horrible "creaking" and as I've heard the engine mounts wear horribly on the 172 ph2, I replaced all 3. Any one else had the creaking/clicking noise? It sounds like its on the left hand side and one would think its a mount as there's a slight delay when lifting the clutch and makes the car hard to drive smoothly. It's obviously a moving part or something being moved but im stumped. Please any one, help me!!!

PH1 V6
Have you replaced the twisted dogbone bushes? thats the lower engine mount which usual causes knocking etc

PH1 V6
Noticed in your thread "creeking".... engine mounts if worn usually cause knocking not creeking. I would start to look at the lower gearbox mount (the little squarish shaped one) and if necessary make sure the mounts are tightened up property. stand over them and rock the engine and see if you hear/see any movement or noise.

I know its a long shot but have you checked other things like top mounts, balljoints etc.... its all stuff that can cause noises like that

Clio 172 cup
I thought the lower gear box one was the twisted one? like the one in the link? Yeah my next step will be suspension etc.

PH1 V6
no there are 2 gearbox mounts:

Upper is under the battery tray

Lower is located between the gearbox and the subframe. It acts as a buffer between the two so if its severely worn it could cause knocking.

The lower engine mount is the dogbone and connects the engine to the gearbox

I had the same, and replaced the twisted dog bone gearbox mount expecting it to sort it, it didn't

I also had a knocking on turning, at all speeds.

Since I have fitted coilovers, both noises have gone.

I put it down to top mounts!

Clio 172 cup

Lower is located between the gearbox and the subframe. It acts as a buffer between the two so if
its severely worn it could cause knocking.

Have you got a link for the lower gearbox mount?

Ph1
If the car was fine before than theres a very high chance its what youve fitted thats the issue? Maybe not fitted right? a washer left off etc etc

Clio 172 cup
If the car was fine before than theres a very high chance its what youve fitted thats the issue? Maybe not fitted right? a washer left off etc etc

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It was making the noise before so I changed the mounts as I thought that was the cause of the issue.

330i. E30 Touring.

Lower is located between the gearbox and the subframe. It acts as a buffer between the two so if its severely worn it could cause knocking.

Wrong. The dogbone connects the gearbox to the car.

Clio 172 cup
So let me get this right. I've changed 3 mounts one at the top on the left, one under the battery and the dog bone twisty one. This is all the engine mounts correct? How much are top mounts by the way?

330i. E30 Touring.
There's another mount, called the lower gearbox mount. It bolts to the subframe and the front of the gearbox.

330i. E30 Touring.
If you've got knocking, it's unlikely to be this one.

WHen do you get the knocking? High up in the revs in first and second is tell tale engine mounts..

Clio 172 cup
If you've got knocking, it's unlikely to be this one.

WHen do you get the knocking? High up in the revs in first and second is tell tale engine mounts..

It's not knocking, it's creaking. I get it when pulling off and driving at slow speeds. If lift the clutch in first gear and let the car drive its self and tap the throttle, it clicks and creaks . As I said before, i've changed 3 mounts. The only one I haven't changed it the "lower gear box" has any one got a link? or a price?

rb 182 cup
had the same problem,ended up being anti roll bar bushes(copped after new top mounts and engine mounts):(

Clio 172 cup
did you fit them correctly? ie aligned correctly and torqued up correctly?

I guess so. Took the weight off the mounts using a jack under the engine. Did the one under battery first, then the one on the left. Once both in, tightened.....