ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mounts - are some too harsh?

Cliosport 182 FF
My cs 182 has a large amount of vibration through the interior (well, I say large but it's the first 182 I've been in so it's hard to put it in context). I know that the previous owner has changed the engine mounts at some point but no idea which brand have been put in...

I'm loathed to just go ahead and replace them all when it might not make much difference, so has anyone had any experience of mounts that have been far too harsh and caused too much vibration? What did you replace them with? Is there one mount in particular that can cause vibration problems more than the others?

The car was given a good going over by renault a few weeks ago and while they said the mounts 'had been modified' (in other words not oem) they didn't find any faults. I'll be getting under the car at the weekend to do another job but in the meantime would be useful to get people's opinions on what a 'good' engine mount should look like!

Lionel Richie
got pics of what has been installed? If its the vibrateyourteethouttecnics then it coes as no surprise!!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I've just replaced the dogbone with a powerflex on mine and that's enough for me!! Leaving the rest OEM.

225 Cup & Williams
I've just replaced the dogbone with a powerflex on mine and that's enough for me!! Leaving the rest OEM.

I don't understand how people say they get a lot of vibrations from a powerflex dogbone mount. I've had mine fitted for months and never had any vibrations from it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I thought it did, even from starting it up! It's a good upgrade though definitely. So much better feeling setting off from the lights. Probs killing the other 2 mounts though!

Does resonate in the cabin quite a bit but will probably need wearing in yet.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I don't understand how people say they get a lot of vibrations from a powerflex dogbone mount. I've had mine fitted for months and never had any vibrations from it.

It's far from unbearable. But the difference was noticeable immediately in my case. Definitely worth doing that one in my opinion, not had experience of the others before but have briefly sat in a ph1 with full KTEC mounts and it was pretty solid!!

Cliosport 182 FF
I thought it did, even from starting it up! It's a good upgrade though definitely. So much better feeling setting off from the lights. Probs killing the other 2 mounts though!

Does resonate in the cabin quite a bit but will probably need wearing in yet.

I did wonder whether changing one mount back to oem would put more pressure on it since all the movement would be transferred to that one mount...

225 Cup & Williams
It's far from unbearable. But the difference was noticeable immediately in my case. Definitely worth doing that one in my opinion, not had experience of the others before but have briefly sat in a ph1 with full KTEC mounts and it was pretty solid!!

Aw yeah it's definitely worth doing makes the gear shifts a lot more precise I found.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Aw yeah it's definitely worth doing makes the gear shifts a lot more precise I found.

that's a point, i did notice a very slight difference in selecting reverse initially with the powerflex. probably will improve with the bedding in though.
Sorry for hijacking the thread scoboblio, but is it possible to get solid mounts for the upper g/box and drivers side engine mounts seperately? or do they just come as kits?

mondeo titanium tdci
I've got a powerflex dog bone mount and a full set of ktec engine mounts and it is not for the faint hearted there is quite a bit of vibration but it is settling down a bit mine were second hand off here as well

mondeo titanium tdci
that's a point, i did notice a very slight difference in selecting reverse initially with the powerflex. probably will improve with the bedding in though.
Sorry for hijacking the thread scoboblio, but is it possible to get solid mounts for the upper g/box and drivers side engine mounts seperately? or do they just come as kits?

You can buy these separate from ktec

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
That's a vibratecnics upper engine mount in photo. Upper gearbox mount same shape as a standard one just with ore metal and less rubber.

11072010319.jpg

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I have ktec's engine and gearbox mount plus a powerflexed dog mount. Was rather bad in vibration terms straight after fittment. 500 miles after you wouldn't have noticed any vibration :). All been on for 40k miles with no trouble!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
bit of a trick to fitting the vibratecnics without excessive vibration (there will always be a little more than standard)

You have to fit all the mounts loosely and let them sit under no tension first, THEN tighten them up, rather than fit one at a time fully tight. Common mistake