ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine knocking video link oppinions please

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yep, thats broken. Sounds like bottom end, if its just come on might have spun an shell.. Either way sounds like new engine time.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
sounds like a big end bearing has gone. provided the crank shaft is ok: sump off, unbolt rods, crank out (optional), replace bearing shells and put back together. else you will also need a new/used crank.

Last edited:
  PH1 loads of boost!
Defo the death knock!

When it sounds like that it's too late to save the crank.

New engine time!

PH1 loads of boost!
Crank + shells + rods + gasket set + head bolts + belt kit + time (minimum) = ££££££

Easier and cheaper to replace the engine me thinks.

clio sport 172
Just stripped it down and my mechanic said the only 1 that's scored is number 3.the rest are good.would I get away with just replacing the shells?

clio sport 172
Or could I just replace bottom end?another thing the chain that runs the oil pump seems quite loose.is this normal?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Wack some shells in, what do you have to lose? Chain is loose yes, replacing the bottom end isn't "just" a case of replacing it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yeah you can replace just the bottom end. If the crank is scored then you will need ot replace it and the shells. as it can be done with the engine on the car, its the route I would take. You would probably have to do the belts etc even if you bought a second hand engine so I cant see it costing any more tbh.

Care to explain how you can replace the crank in the car? Considering the flywheel nd clutch are bolted to one end. The engine has to come out. At which point you'd may aswell replace it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Can't the box in the 172/182 not be taken off to the side to expose the clust/flywheel (I dont know as I have never tried)? I did it this way in my D7F a while ago as I didnt have an engine hoist. If you do have a hoist then yes it probably is more straight forward to lift it out.

I still think it would be cheaper to replace the crank and shells. Like I said, belts and co would still have to be done on a second hand engine. How much do they go for these days (I was thinking about £400)? Where as you could probably get hold of an engine with a damaged head and swap the crank out from that for cheap.

clio sport 172
really need a few oppinions on this 1 guys is it worth my while to take a chance to just replace the shells even tho my mechanic said number 3 is scored the rest are all good.?
really aint got the money for new engine.

RS172
You would have to do the belts if you take the crank out as the belt runs of the bottom pulley which is bolted to the crank!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
You cant just replace the shells if the crank is scored on any of them. your options are 1. rebuild the bottom end from a none-running doner engine, 2. replace whole engine. Both are going to cost you quite a bit tbh.

clio sport 172
its only just had new belts and dephaser so wouldnt really want to replace the belts again, will it cause me problems if i just put some shells in even tho number 3 is slightly scored? the rest are good my mechanic said.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
You would have to do the belts if you take the crank out as the belt runs of the bottom pulley which is bolted to the crank!

this has been pointed out already. But it might also have to be done on a replacment engine also (probably, unless they themselve have just got the belt done, but do you trust that?).

clio sport 172
my car be left off the road until after the new year as i cant afford new engine this side of xmas,and as its been said its pointless just replacing the shells if number 3 is scored il forget the car for a while... really gutted

clio sport 172
my mechanic said number 3 shell a piece had come off and blocked off the entrance for the oil so it run dry.he showed me the piece that blocked the oil off il get a pic put on here for you to see.

Monaco 172
flog the top end and get another engine, throwing money away if you do the shells and its scored, could go again at anytime!

PH1 loads of boost!
If it's scored throw it in the bin, I'd be checking the top end also before you only replace the bottom end.
If oil starvation has caused the spun shell then the top end could have suffered from starvation as well, best to check the cams for scoring too...