ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine is dying!!!!!!

NEED V6!
Was driving to pick my brother up from leamington spa when I started to hear a knocking noise coming from the engine. So collected my brother went to Mcdonalds for a bite to eat. When we set of the noise coming from the engine was loud so thought lets take it to renault just down the road. Did so they took it round the back to have a look, came back and the engineer Said "mate there ain't no oil in your engine", I responded saying " 5 litres of oil went in 1 month ago as just had 24k service". He then said " as you have your cruise control button switched on then you would'nt know that the car needed oil. I then said look 5 litre's of oil don't just run dry in a month, he went on to say they need to keep as the lift's may have been damaged or possible the engine bearings.

So as you may think I am know shi**ing :nono: myself that I may need a new engine or some thing.:mad:

Has anyone else had this problem, comments welcome.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
nasty, i would ask if the oil has leaked out the sump plug, or where it has leaked from, then sue the place that did the service

CTR--VX220D
Gutted for you mate, but you have to check your oil all the time. I make a rule of every weekend in the VX220/172 [weekend cars] and everytime I fill the CTR up with petrol [every few days!]

Vectra :(
As above, why would cruise control effect anything.

The oil indication comes on when you turn the key when you dont have cruise control on. When your moving you cant make it display the oil level.

Also i would def be finding out where it has leaked from, as said if its the sump get onto the servicing garage!

If it has developed a leak and suddenly p*ssed out all the oil then its hardly your fault for not checking is it?!

Hope its under warrenty mate, If it is then maybe thats why they came out with some excuse about you not checking and then relaying the blame onto you.

Good luck either way.

Also i agree about the dipstick comment. My dash readout has been know to read full, then half, then full, then a quarter etc etc and the oil level on the dipstick never changed.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Sorry this has happened to you. Hope it works out ok.

We should all check every fluid level regularly though TBH.

Rob669

sounds like its leaked........and a knock from no oil is usually battered bearings.....which is a new engine from renault.

Silver 172 Ph1
My dash is on crack, always saying it empty or nearly empty. Got to keep dipping as technology isnt there on the oil sensing front.

Clio 172 mk2
My dash is on crack, always saying it empty or nearly empty. Got to keep dipping as technology isnt there on the oil sensing front.

Exactly....and given Renaults reputation with dodgy electrics I think it's even more or a reason to keep dipping.

NEED V6!
I am on the motorway alot of the time with my job and stuff so i always leave the cruise button switched on so was unable to see wheather the oil was fine but i mean i check the oil at the weekend there was plenty in their as i thought as with the service they topped the engine with 5litres so.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
New F4R 738 engine £1250 + vat

espace2-2.gif

williams 2
cruise control caused it????? what is that about??? did you notice ur oil can light on in the dash?? if the service was done last month no dought a apprentice monkey has over/under tightned ur sump plug so its dropped all its oil!! gutted mate have them!!!

who serviced it??

Clio 172 mk2
Does sound like a hell of a lot of oil has gone pretty quickly....maybe it ia the sump plug

clio 172 sport
if all that oil has gone there has got to be sighns of it under the car or somewhere, have a look (do the 182's have covers under the engine??) if they do it is likely to be caked in oil if there was a leak, if there arnt any sighns of oil i would say that the garage that serviced it for got to put oil back in it !!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
nope the service light doesnt come on for oil low. The point with the cruise crontrol is that you dont get the Oil display light on the dash as it says "Set--"

LY 200
I always check mine via dipstick but where on the dash does it show oil level?? :S

Do we mean when we start the car and it say "oil ok" or is there summin else?

NEED V6!
Renault phoned saying that the engine had been starved of oil and that the crank and pistons have gone and need replacing, the guy said that he would try and get a new engine instead of having it repaired. But he did say that as i' ve only had one service at 24k that i may have to pay, I say "f**k Off".:nono:

Comments on this are much appreciated