ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine, getting the most from your 172 Lump

RS Clio 172
So on my 172, currently I am contemplating making it a small project. I would really like to sort out the tourque as it does seem to lack someting a little at lower revs. I think a certain remap is in order for starts can someone enlighten me as to which is the best for a relitively un messed with 172 ?

Does anyone know how they respond to being turbo'd and if so can you recommend a configuration and someone to do it or at least discuss the realities/price of such work with? the only other thing I can think of Instead of turbo's is to try a Laguna block instead, this is a long term slow burner (poss phase 2 of project), I want to hang onto the 172 for a while and want to see what can be done with it ...

Realistically without turbo's or more extreme meddling with the engine whats the best you can wring from the standard lump in theory ?

I currently have a generic stainless exhaust and the previous owner has replaced the original for reasons of longevity as I understand it, there is also an ITG race filter fitted, I wan't a new exhaust that delivers a good performance kick and a nice low rumble, I don't want a super loud chav exhaust , just something that sounds nice and delivers some extra beans.

I'm off to see Fred at BTM at some point this week but would like to have some things to think about so we have something to talk about, any suggestions or pointers for improving the performance/ handling / carwould be appreciated.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo's work brilliantly on them, this is the MWM car on a standard bottom end with a 197 head/inlet and a MWM turbo setup:

mwm-low-boost.jpg

As is always the case with turbos though, they need to be well mapped, there are loads of rubbish turbo converisons out there blowing up left right and centre on the 172 lumps!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ps

Nothing N/A wise is going to give you genuinely decent low down torque (ie under 4K) out of one of these engines, its just not what they do well at all.

RS Clio 172
Hey, I'm just in Olton/Solihull, what sort of money are we looking at for a decent turbo setup ?

222, is a good figure to aim for to start with so I would be interested to see how that works out and what it involves yeah, cheers.

I'm not so interested in a supercharger to be honest, would rather a turbo.

Yeah I get that with the tourque/4k thing but I understood certain re maps smoothed things out a bit and helped with the delivery somewhat ?

Was kinda fishing for a decent quality map ?

Cheers for the responses so far chaps.

172 turbo 'cup'
K-tec do a kit for just over 3 grand but you could source the parts yourself for less.

RS Clio 172
Lol, thats more than I paid for the car, budget is not an issue exactly as I plan to do it over time, but 3k seems high, how much do you think sourcing it yourself will shave off ?

To be fair I'll probably start with some less drastic/expensive stuff .

172 turbo 'cup'
Not sure but you could save a lot I bought the k-tec kit over 2 year's ago. I could of done it cheaper depend's if you want new or not bothered about second hand part's,someone on here got a turbo,log manifold and a couple of other bit's from ebay last week for not that much.

RS Clio 172
Not sure but you could save a lot I bought the k-tec kit over 2 year's ago. I could of done it cheaper depend's if you want new or not bothered about second hand part's,someone on here got a turbo,log manifold and a couple of other bit's from ebay last week for not that much.

Lol, helps if you know what yoy are looking for, me I'm new to all this, I have the enthusiasm just not the knowledge...

172 turbo 'cup'
You will learn I was like you when i first done mine know a bit now but not everything
just some bit's you will need for low boost

Turbo
Turbo manifold
Downpipe
225 injector's
Intercooler and pipe work
Turbo oil feed inc fitting's
Spark plugs megane 225
Map sensor
Ecu
gaskets
Not sure if i've missed anything sure someone else might add anything i've missed

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Best thing I did was a set of matched inlets (on top of s/s exhaust, decat and filter) to release the bottom end of the revs. Before inlets were done, it was gutless under 3k, 3-4.5 was ok, then 5 it took off. After, it pulled freely from 1500RPM.

Forced induction is the only really good way of getting silly power. ITBs will give you enough of a kick, but you'll need cams too to get a decent figure, and you're looking at an unhealthy sum of money for the privilege.

Unless you really want to, IMO it's just not worth the bother. 1*2's are not fast cars (in the grand scheme of things). If you want a fast car, buy one ;)

If you want a superb handling, adequately quick car, you're in the right place :approve:

RS Clio 172
I love the handling, I just want a bit more from the engine really, Its not worth going too mad I think, like you say proper fast = something else.

Have been advised to look into doing the cams, going to try and source those myself, can anyone recommend anything specific?

Currently I'm thinking an exhaust (open to suggestions here) cams (again would like some pointers), inlets, racing/sports cat, already have ITG filter, is it worth a polish ? once I have everything done I'll get it mapped at the end ?

I think some new breaks might be in order too...

Sound good ?

Lol, thats more than I paid for the car, budget is not an issue exactly as I plan to do it over time, but 3k seems high, how much do you think sourcing it yourself will shave off ?

To be fair I'll probably start with some less drastic/expensive stuff .

why not buy a meg 225?

ClioSport 172 Cup
Because the 172 is a much nicer looking car??...I nearly bought a 225 then realised the 172 is a better car, even with the 225 the megane isn`t that much quicker than a 172.

340i
Because the 172 is a much nicer looking car??...I nearly bought a 225 then realised the 172 is a better car, even with the 225 the megane isn`t that much quicker than a 172.

LOOOOOL.

ok, standard vs. standard there is not a big difference, but the megane is still a 'quicker' car....

Spend £300 having the megane remapped, hello 260bhp / 290ft.lb

Spend £300 on the Clio, oh that gets you an exhaust system that gains 2bhp? so 165bhp / 150ft.lb

The difference between the two cars would be silly now, the megane would out pace the 172 at any speed, after 80mph the Clio would be a little spec in the rear mirror ;)

RS Clio 172
Is true, I think the 172 is better looking, the Megane is a bit ugly tbf, sure you can easily get more stright line speed out of one but how does it compare in the bends ?

Having said that I would be intreagued to see what a Megane is like at some point as getting a 172 anywhere near 260 bhp is lots and lots of money apparently.

would the Megane lump fit a 172 ?

would still like some suggestions for suitable exhausts and cams ? please :eek:)

340i
Is true, I think the 172 is better looking, the Megane is a bit ugly tbf, sure you can easily get more stright line speed out of one but how does it compare in the bends ?

Having said that I would be intreagued to see what a Megane is like at some point as getting a 172 anywhere near 260 bhp is lots and lots of money apparently.

would still like some suggestions for suitable exhausts and cams ? please :eek:)

Yup, the megane engine is also an F4R.. pretty similar engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The meganes are great on the bends, they are at a slight weight disadvantage of course, but they really do still work very well.
Ive been round the ring in a bog standard megane turbo (only mod was better brake pads) in under 8:30 (bridge to gantry)

3-4K is a realistic budget if you dont want to do the work yourself, far less if you can do so.

Simplest way is just to reblock the megane engine into a 172 block and still use the 172 gearbox, thats what andyrg did, but given that the 172 bottom end will do the same power pretty much anyway with the right mods there isnt really a lot of point.

would still like some suggestions for suitable exhausts and cams ? please :eek:
)
The gains arent really massively worth it.
Set of 438s, a ktec stealth or similar, and a remap, will give you a noticeable gain, but you are WELL the wrong side of a grand doing so, so just doubled the price of your car to get probably less than 10% extra power.