ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine f**ked...Advice needed

Coupe/Defender V8
Re: Engine fucked...

sorry to hear that mate :( Got any vids?

Did it seem better after you got the lifters replaced?

Coupe/Defender V8

noooooo. Even though the mans right (please bare in mind you can pick up a decent ish f4r engine cheapo though :()

I also want an Evo over my French s**t box.. but will you not miss it's puppy dog looks and erratic behaviour when you're driving it? I think I will :(

It's like a child to me now lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

I'll have a few bits off the 172 if you sell them..... Namley the steering wheel ;)

Coupe/Defender V8

tbh mate you'd be better off getting a second hand lump. if need be that is. Mine sounds like a sowing machine from cold but it's not overly loud tbh

My old one was noisey as f*ck, well it was the dephaser in the end though. I took the head off, replaced everything and fitted another dephaser and solenoid, quiet as anything now in comparison!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Is the tapping really loud at just over 2000 miles?

Mine taps like a bit*h at around 2k and its done it for ages really. Still pulls fine and everything.

My engines on 73k whats yours on?

Coupe/Defender V8

they do sound a bit worse with throttle bodies but mines not really tappy with revs just when its waking up :boring:

Also get a smell of oil if i hammer the car right up to the top of the rev range.

Head refurb or buy the about and get new valves, lifters etc??

Or break the car and get something else? :(

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

why's it going to be another grand?

Belt kit is circa £150, dephaser is £100, then fitting

TrackCar & F30 330d

Yeah Ben sounds like we have the same type of enigne tapping.

Mine still pulls like a train so i'm just gona keep running mine.

Depends how long you've had the car really? Thought you wanted to do more trackdays and an evo would be a lot more expensive to run on track.

I'll take your 1.2 bullets if you sell up :)

Williams20V-306BHP

Dude, i had the same thing on my 172... sounded like a death rattle.... after close inspection it turned out to be the large cast alloy block that goes along the front of the engine (covering the injectors) had come loose.

2 tightened bolts later and she's sweet as a nut!!!

worth double checking! ;)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Re: Engine f**ked...

Dude, i had the same thing on my 172... sounded like a death rattle.... after close inspection it turned out to be the large cast alloy block that goes along the front of the engine (covering the injectors) had come loose.

2 tightened bolts later and she's sweet as a nut!!!

worth double checking! ;)

He has Throttle bodies mate. So no alloy block.

Re: Engine f**ked...

Yeah Ben sounds like we have the same type of enigne tapping.

Mine still pulls like a train so i'm just gona keep running mine.

Depends how long you've had the car really? Thought you wanted to do more trackdays and an evo would be a lot more expensive to run on track.

I'll take your 1.2 bullets if you sell up :)

Like you say, still runs mint. Get a smell of oil when i give it death.

Had it for 2 years now, really wanted to go the ring in it one last time in august, but dont want to keep chucking money at it.

Might just keep running it until it dies :)

Buy a second hand engine to build up...

Coupe/Defender V8
I've got an engine sitting around from a ph1 with 48k on it from Sutt autos..rear ender - car was completely standard with original SX tyres on it...they're a dime a dozen.

Which is exactly what evos are not. When you delve into it - it actually works out cheaper to run a F430. (bar buying the car ofc)

No ta

Coupe/Defender V8
might be just a leaky cam seal where you're giving it some and it's weeping like a widow where its thinning out and burning off on the manifold you don't know mate. I'd get it looked at first

Had new rocker cover seal, and cam seals etc when i had the lifters replaced.

I rather it just blow up :) LOL! :)

Its never smelt of oil before, not like this anyway.

Hmmmmmmmm

TBH, it hasnt been driven hard for a while, just general pottering to work and back.

340i
Mine has done 102500miles now, dehpaser clunking like a nackered sewing machine for the past 20K, engine sounds "tappety"...

I give it death daily driving to work, just done 2.3K around Europe, 5 laps of the 'Ring (Guppy loved it ;) )

and it still runs sweet, fresh oil every 5K and that's all it gets :)

Mine does have a smell of oil / fuel when really gunning it but meeeh!

I've got an engine sitting around from a ph1 with 48k on it from Sutt autos..rear ender - car was completely standard with original SX tyres on it...they're a dime a dozen.

Which is exactly what evos are not. When you delve into it - it actually works out cheaper to run a F430. (bar buying the car ofc)

No ta

Sell me that engine ;)