ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine dies now and then

hey people i have got a litle problem with my car and just wanted to know if any of u can help. sometimes when i stop at a red light or whn my car comes to a stand still, the engine just goes and i have to switch the ignition back on. it happened last week when i just jumped in my car. i switched the ignition on, car started, then went again. its happened a few times now and im getting worried, can anyone help on this?

plus its annoying when u r driving cause people think u stall all the time lol

help would be appreciated

None

if it just cuts out (doesnt stall) could be a timing sensor - have the same on my car sometimes

whats the timing sensor? i dont know anything about cars lol but like u know sometimes when i turn the engine on, i can feel the engine clattering like shaking a litle bit and im sure normally its pretty peaceful?

Get it back to Renault it migh need a reloading th of ECU maps etc.

The 1.2 engine has problem with this sort of thing a lot.

After than the coils are the next possible poblem.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

what edde said, my dynamique used to do it at junctions. Hasnt done it in ages, I dunno if they (reg vardy) fixed it when it was in for a service.

took mine in today with iratic ideling. took reno half hour to fix, they just plugged it in and sorted it there and then. same sort of problem, ecu again!

i know it might be a stupid question but what do u guys mean when u use the term ideling? like the engine clatters type thing ? lol . yeh im taking it in tomorrow morning and hopefully they can look at it though they r fully booked but fingers crossed.

its just really annoying though cause i bought the car brand new and like you expect new cars to be reliable. last year i had spark plugs loose also. renault not making a good impression on me :(

Polo + Micra

i had this prob with my 1.6

it would cut out when it felt like (usually when i put my foot on the clutch to change)and wouldnt start for like 30 mins

it took renault about a week to fix and there was a full a4 sheet of things they tried to fix it

a week! i cant do without my car for a week! i wanted a curtasy car as well but its booked up till june 10th! but it is something that definately needs looked at though i think.

Polo + Micra

i was lucky i had a job interview so said i would bring the car in for them to have a quick look so i gave them a hour and said i need the car back

so the woman behind the desk disappeared then came back with a set of keys for a courtesy car and said it was parked out front and they would call when my car was ready:eek:

thats good. u know how some people have mentioned the ecu and the ideling,can u explain what these mean please? cause then maybe i can understand the mechanical side of things more ;)

Quote: Originally posted by romeochan on 19 May 2004

thats good. u know how some people have mentioned the ecu and the ideling,can u explain what these mean please? cause then maybe i can understand the mechanical side of things more
Ideling is what the engine does when you dont have your foot on the peddle its a fixed amount of revs the engien runs to keep the engine going. The ECU controls the amout of fuel etc it should run to make the engine stay at idle. When you put your foot on the accelerator the ecu recognises this and checks its mapping and sees how much fuel and throttle plate opening should be applied and then sends these signals to the injecotrs etc.

The Ecu is the brains of the engine telling it how to runand what to do ie full throttle at 4k will be different than what it does at full throttle at 2k.

The ECU is the little box under the bonnet on the passengers side under the metal covering plate behind the battery.

The Ecu controls the

Injecors (ie how much fuel they should let into each cylinder)

Fuel pump to ensure fuel is availiable to the injectors.

The spark plug to ingite the fuel

The throttle plate to control air flow into the engine.

There are others but there the main ones.

It recieves data from loads of bits but the biggest one is the accelerator.

thanx alot edde. i just hope they can sort it out soon!the car having mechanical problems is the last thing i need cause i travel about 13 miles ish to college everyday

Quote: Originally posted by romeochan on 19 May 2004

thanx alot edde. i just hope they can sort it out soon!the car having mechanical problems is the last thing i need cause i travel about 13 miles ish to college everyday
The new software should fix any problems.

If you have any more trouble as Reanult dont fix it first time Id recomend trying another dealership some of them are much better than others.

hehe yeh i thought that seeing as dink16v got a curtasy car straight away without booking i presume. but tomorrow when i go im just gonna tell them straight up that iv got exams coming up VERY SOON and i need my car working efficiently and just hurry up lol.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

running problems on the 1.2 are normally software problems. have had the occasional throttle body and wiring problems before. tdc sensors are quite commen but you normally notice poor starting as well cutting out.