ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine cutting out while accelerating

02' PH1 172
Hey guys. I have a 2001 ph1 172 and as of yesterday I have a new problem that scares me quite a bit.

Over the last few weeks now and again while driving, it has been having immediate losses of power, almost like when you have a ht lead or sparkplug problem, but its not quite the same, as I have gone through that problem already.

As of last night while driving home, I was driving up a hill and right at the top the car cut out and died on me. Its almost like if I try get any power out the car, she just wants to die. Now there is still battery power, its just the engine that cuts out. Funny thing is, if the ignition is on, the brakes and the steering when both go very stiff, which is not normal for the ignition being on.

I managed to get home driving really slowly, but it did procede to cut out and die on me three times. It just seems to hate me putting my foot down a bit.

Like I said, it seems engine related and not electrical to me.

A mechanic recently told me that my dephaser and clutch could be on their way out so not sure if this would have to do with the problem I am having.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

02' PH1 172
oh yes I forgot to list my mods.

Decat freeflow, unichip and K&N in the std box. Had all these mods for years without any issues

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Dephaser and clutch??? Did he explain why? The dephaser is to do with the variable valve timing I think?

I'd check the TDC sensor first mate, give it a clean up and see how it goes.

02' PH1 172
Well he did repairs to the gearbox and noticed that the clutch had taken a beating, and he noticed that the dephaser was noisy and had a look at it and said it di not have much life left in it.

What I dont quite understand about this issue is the fact that the brakes and steering become hard even with the ignition on. I have had MAP sensor issues before and had it replaced. but this does not seem like the same problem to me. Very well could be tho. You never know with these cars

02' PH1 172
anyone have any idea as to why the brakes and steering would go hard even though the ignition is on?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just because the ignition is on doesn't mean these items will still work.

Steering is hydraulic and needs the engines rotation to drive the high pressure pump. As it's stalled or cut out no rotation so no pump.

Similar goes for the brakes... they are servo assisted which requires a vacuume feed which is again taken from the inlet of a running engine.

You should have a few pedal presses though if the engine had just cut out on you.

Mick

02' PH1 172
Ah right. Would this still be the case if the engine had cut out, I had turned the ignition off completely, and then turned the ignition back on with the steering and the brakes still being stiff?

02' PH1 172
Then why when a car is parked, and you want to perhaps change the wheel position, do you put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on" in order for the steering to lighten up so you may turn the wheels? Surly after the car has cut out, and the key is put back to the "on" position, the steering and brakes should be light again?

It won't lighten up if the engine isn't turning. This is why it is bad to coast. You could have a cambelt failure and aslong as you do not dip the clutch or out it in neutral you will still have control of your vehicle. You turn the key so your not engaging the steering lock.

Go out and try this.

Engine off.
Pump brakes until they go hard

Turn key to accessory (first click)
Hold the wheel enough to put pressure on it but not turn the wheels(it'll be very stiff)

Now press and hold the brake pedal (still holding the wheel)
Now turn the ignition on (without starting)
Notice no change.

Now turn the key to start.
You will feel the brake pedal drop and the steering go light.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I learnt that trick from my driving instructor back in the day.

It is right. The brakes and power steering don't work unless engines running.
My instructor made me parallel park on a slope before with engine off, so I could feel how hard steering was. He made sure I left ignition on though so lights etc still worked.
That's how I know this to be true.