ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine cutting out at idle

Hey guys. Just bought myself a 172 :)

I'll give a timeline of any relevant issues and then hopefully we can narrow it down to find a solution.

53 plate 69k miles, FSH with Cambelts/dephaser etc done 13k /2 years ago.

Test drive was fine.
Driving home I noticed that the Cruise Control doesn't like to go down, it just resets the speed when you press the down arrow, but it's intermittent.
Driving it today I noticed the ECU light? (squiggly one in the middle) come on with no stop or serv light to accompany it. As I slowed down for some traffic lights it just cut out. Car was luke warm at the time.

Later that day the car kept cutting out when stopping but had no warning lights. Doesn't matter if I dropped revs slowly or quickly it still happened around 50% of the time I let it go to idle.

I just drove it now and when coming to a stop the throttle got stuck part open at about 2.5k RPM, touching the throttle didn't reset it so I had to restart. No issues during the rest of my journey.

Other than that it's great fun. Hopefully those symptoms all point to the same thing or I might just cry and re insure my 1.4 PH1.

renault clio 1.4 16v
The squiggly light is the ignition system which means you may have a bad injector or coil pack, start by checking that, also check all the earth points in the engine bay. Recently i had a problem when coming off the power and on again it would blow the 30 amp ecu fuse, ended up being dead lambda sensors so you can check that out as well, lambdas should last around 160k km or 4 or 5 years but can die earlier as i found out... if all else fails get it plugged in, it should have a fault code if it brought up a light

Thanks for the help. I gave the throttle body a quick clean first and I haven't had any issues since. It's going in for a CV boot replacement which hopefully wont be too much hassle (renault quote was worryingly high compared to my local) so will get it plugged in then to double check.