ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion.

Clio 1.4 S
Hey guys, out of no where I want to convert my little 1.4 s ph1 to a 172 beast. is this possible and can you name everything ill need and a rough price?

Thanks, Conor.

A slow blue one.
It is possible, but seriously for the amount it'll cost to convert then get it insured why not just buy a 172 which will be cheaper to insure in the first place?

A slow blue one.
There are a couple users on here who have done it before and from what I remember them saying it worked out as even more expensive to insure that than a 172. Each to his own but personally I wouldn't bother, k-tec racing offer the full conversion package for about £3k iirc if you want to look into that.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
iv tried getting a quote to insure a 172 and it doesnt look good..

how do you think you can insure a 1.4 with a 172 engine in then? dont say i just wont tell them..

think if you leave the road and kill someone what you going to do without insurance, they will not pay out.

anychance of this thread being locked?

A slow blue one.
how do you think you can insure a 1.4 with a 172 engine in then? dont say i just wont tell them..

think if you leave the road and kill someone what you going to do without insurance, they will not pay out.

anychance of this thread being locked?

Nail, head, hit.

Clio 1.4 S
dude if you dont want to be involved in my thread then just do one, trying to be smart and say stuff like that and you dont even know what my plans are.. thanks aj02

RS6 C7
I you do an engine conversion you will be reported for no Insurance. It will cost more to insure than a 172 with that engine declared.

Megane 225 F1
I don't know if you're planning on telling your insurance or not, but please do.

Now that we have the over with, nothing wrong with engine conversions. Doing it yourself could make it a project for yourself. Could be fun. Paying a company to do it will seem like you're pissing your money away, although you know they are doing it right.

Either way, cost up which will be cheaper in the long run. Buying a 172 and insurance or paying for conversion and insurance and then take into account the value of the car will be decreased.

Audi A5
Don't want to sound boring but with just buying a 172 you get everything else like better brakes,handling,toys, looks etc etc etc.

SG9 Forester STi
As said above the search bar will do you wonders as the topic has been covered several times.

I have given my advice lots but considering you've already had an unrealistic quote on a 172 the only thing I can say to you is - get a quote on the converted car first.

It's far more complicated and expensive to insure a conversion. I have been quoted £800 a year for a 182 however am paying exactly double for mine due to the conversion.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
dont bother, just wait until you can insure a 172,

but for arguments sake
engine + box £6-700
wishbones £30
Driveshafts £150 (for good ones)
Shocks and springs all round £200
Brakes £50
Hubs £50
new discs/pads/ball joints £100
exhaust system £200

getting all the stuff delivered wont be easy either
and this is assuming you have an engine crane and all the mechanical knowledge to fit it!

and bobs your uncle! youve spent C£1500 on your conversion,
and youre still left with an old clio with bog standard interior, standard bodykit and no resale value!!

and insuring it at 19 will be an absolute joke!!

hence why everyone says its completely pointless!! 172's go for the same money and half the ball ache!!

IF you can find a crashed 172 with a load of body damage but a mint engine for C£500 then you could be on to a winner, but still a massive ball ache!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you arent going to be insuring it etc properly anyway, why worry about having the correct logbook for the shell?

So therefore, you can do it the cheap and easy way:

Buy 172
Fit your chassis plates and number plates.

Lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
If you arent going to be insuring it etc properly anyway, why worry about having the correct logbook for the shell?

So therefore, you can do it the cheap and easy way:

Buy 172
Fit your chassis plates and number plates.

Lol

BUY it?? lol

fnck it, just steal one!