ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Block Temperature

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So I recently went to a track day in my 182 along with a mate in a Trophy. After a similar number of laps out on track, we compared the block temperatures (by touch) and his was considerably cooler than mine.

Apart from mine being 40k higher in mileage (which I'm guessing contributes!) the only difference was that his didn't have an engine cover on. I'm just wondering whether it might be worth taking the engine cover off before the next track day?

Any thoughts on whether this is likely to have any real effect on cooling, or ideas on other factors more likely to cause this?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Using your hand to check the temperature isn't exactly accurate though, it only takes a few degrees for something to go from bareably warm to extremely hot to the touch.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Using your hand to check the temperature isn't exactly accurate though, it only takes a few degrees for something to go from bareably warm to extremely hot to the touch.

And unless you both reached the same sort of temperatures in the first place (coolant/oil) and did identical cooling down procedures then it's not a fair test either.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
You can get sticky temperature labels, I've got some on top of my cylinder head and the water pipe from the engine to the radiator. I can't remember what the temps went up to on the last track day, I'll have a look when I get home..it was something like 100 degrees for the head and 95 for the water.