ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Bling.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Is there anywhere focused on engine detailing for Clio's or Renault's in general? I had polished covers, alloy stuff and Samco's in the engine bay of my Impreza, basically just as a way of making it look that touch neater and sweet.

I've already got powder coating in mind for the a few of the components on the RB182, but was wondering if there's anywhere online that actually stocks parts to replace the original plastic jobbies?

I know there's a few places that offer the engine covers in various colours or even carbon firbre, but other than that I'm not too sure.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Out of interest, this is basically what I have in mind for mine, as far as coating goes :

DSC00040.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks fab, chrome is cheap and tacky imo.

I like a simple clean engine bay and those black bits make it look very nice.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Looks fab, chrome is cheap and tacky imo.

I like a simple clean engine bay and those black bits make it look very nice.

I agree that does look great. Just thought there'd be aftermarket water bottles, reservoir tanks and the like.

VaVa
As long as he doesn't drive round with his bonnet up, shouldn't make a difference. Presuming you're referring to some kind of heat related issue?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
There were heat issues mentioned when I had my FMIC piping powder coated black on my P1, as well as the intercooler itself. Few folk said it was all a myth about heat increases with the black, but some others said they'd had theirs coated in silver/another colour because of it.

I have to admit I didn't have any problems, mind.

Obviously a bit wary if there's a potential for anything out of the ordinary, before I actually go ahead with anything.

VaVa
The whole heat absorbtion thing, afaik, is based on white light hitting the object in question and all of the energy being absorbed (that's why black things appear black to us - all the colours of the light spectrum are absorbed!) and thus turning into heat.

So if there's no (or very little) light hitting the things in the first place then it should make very little or no difference. I can't see that colour would have any effect on heat disippation, but an expert in thermo-dynamics I am not. lol

That's my take on it, anyway.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Heat shouldn't increase, it just wont dissapate as efficiently (i think)

Oh wow, im wrong...

Fact? It's been said that black is actually the best color for dissipating heat from the engine. This statement is true, here's why:
The reason black paint dissipates heat more than any other color is that black is the most capably dissipative color for infra-red (heat) wavelengths. As we all know, back is very absorbent when energy rays (visible AND invisible) such as sunlight hit it. It is also able to cast off the most heat energy, all of its radiation being in the infra-red part of the energy wavelength spectrum. Single colors tend to focus their ability to both absorb AND dissipate in the wavelength of their color, and far less in the infra-red compared to black. One last thing about black: It absorbs energy better than it dissipates it, which is likely why the effect of black dissipating heat is less known. Also, since it absorbs far better than it dissipates (as do all colors), it has a net gain, for example when your black car sits in the sun, until an equilibrium is reached depending on the heated body's ability to be cooled (like with a fender or hood, by the surrounding air). The ambient temperature of the air around the black fender keeps it from heating beyond a certain range. I hope this helps explain the "I don't know why" of black paint being a better cooler for engines. The effect won't be much, and might not even be noticeable unless closely monitored, but it is a fact.

Black radiates heat in the infra-red spectrum better than other colors, which tend to "specialize" by radiating less efficiently in the infra-red and more in just their color portion of the spectrum.

"Cool" :eek:

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
theres a company that do all the pipes etc in some kind of glass/clear plastic, dont remember there name but someone put it up here a few weeks ago, looked pretty cool

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
iirc theres a guy on 197.net with carbon fiber filler caps for Oil, water, windscreen bottle etc..

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
^ Cheers.

Just been to get a quote on the powder coating. The guy said around £50.

Cool.

He said they can do either powder coating, or aqua blasting, which I'm presuming is just thoroughly cleaning what's already there.

Not a bad price, mind. Will look into getting that sorted soon.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No, its a special method of treating metal. (Aqua Blasting)
Involves blasting it with several hundred decibels of terrible Danish-Norwegian europop.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PMSL! There were rumours there tour bus had gone over the edge of a cliff many years ago.

Ahh, bless.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
I think clean and simple is the way to go. Chroming everything in site seems a bit outdated now, and must be a b**ch to keep on top of. That Clio engine bay is the perfect example i'd say.

Powercoating the parts is the way forward - it's tough and does not stain/scratch like rattle can paint. It's not that expensive either!

However to do it you have to have the parts off the engine.

But saying that most of the rattle can attempts I have seen where the parts have been left on the engine have quite frankly been shocking.

Anodizing looks lovely too - but is a little more delicate that PCing.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I just love the black poweder coated inlets, with the renaultsport polished up

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest, this is basically what I have in mind for mine, as far as coating goes :

DSC00040.jpg

Aas a finishing touch, Scutchio - I'd get a very small block of wood and wrap a piece of coarse sand-paper around it and then go over your RenaultSport lettering and lines underneath. The colour afterwards will not be a million miles from the colour of the KTR sticker on the air filter and I think it would help break up the black a little bit.

^^^ - that does look ace however. :approve:

D.

clio sports campus 1.2 06
heyy im new :) how is everyone?

I must say your engine looks amazing. How do you go around cleaning it???