ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EML on - MOT due soon

Thought I just had tax this month but apparently my MOT runs out towards the end of this month too

Only thing is that my Engine management light is on. This isn't an unusual occurrence for my car but it usually goes off after a while. Has stayed on a lot longer than normal though. Whenever fault codes are read/cleared it's always something to do with one of the lambda sensors

Just wondering;

-Will they fail the MOT just for the light being on?
-Is it likely to be a lambda sensor finally giving in, hence the light staying on longer?
-Where can I take it for an MOT that won't rip me off - should they need to repair something? I'm near Northampton.

BG182 Cup, Discovery
Engine management light is NOT an mot failure as many people think it is, vosa haven't made it a failable item yet the same as airbag lamps

Clio 182 Cup
I beleive that with the new rules that came in this year any light showing on the dash is a failure...

Engine management light is NOT an mot failure as many people think it is, vosa haven't made it a failable item yet the same as airbag lamps

^ Air bag lights are a straight fail as it's the safety of the car. My mate just failed 3 times with Air Bag lights on his Civic he thinks he's fixed it though now lol

I beleive that with the new rules that came in this year any light showing on the dash is a failure...

^This

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Take the lambda sensors out and test them if it's pointing in that direction.

Mk2 Ph2 172
HOw many times is it going to be said the new mot failure items have not yet come in to force.....

If your mate failed on an air bag warning light he could have asked for an appeal form and would have won !!!

If your eml light is on at at this present moment in time it will be a pass and advise

I had the same response from mick at diamond motors. So the light should be no prob hopefully

Another thing is my handbrake cable is snapped on one side :(

HOw many times is it going to be said the new mot failure items have not yet come in to force.....

If your mate failed on an air bag warning light he could have asked for an appeal form and would have won !!!

If your eml light is on at at this present moment in time it will be a pass and advise

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/01/04/changes-to-mot-rules-in-2012-are-you-ready/

Read, Absorb, Learn

LY 182
Read absorb learn a shitty Internet link that could have been written by a moron.

I'm a tester too, and can confirm that it's not a fail yet.. Vosa haven't told us when it will be either. As far as I can work out the engine management light will
Never be a failure item DESPITE all the flyers going round trying to sell diagnostic gear

Mk2 Ph2 172
I stand by what I say an airbag light is a fail

This statement just shows that what you believe to be correct can be very very wrong !!!

Bring your mates car to me who failed "3" times for the airbag warning light and i would pass and advise it

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Right to clear this up!! the VOSA regulation manual released for jan 2012 states under

5.4 supplementary restraint system,
reason for rejection number 2.

srs malfunction indicator lamp
1. inoperative
2. indicating a system malfunction

as far as i can see, theres still nothing on the engine management light.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Right to clear this up!! the VOSA regulation manual released for jan 2012 states under

5.4 supplementary restraint system,
reason for rejection number 2.

srs malfunction indicator lamp
1. inoperative
2. indicating a system malfunction

as far as i can see, theres still nothing on the engine management light.

Wow you found the mot guide well done you.... Yes it states it in the Manual but it has not come in to action yet !!!

There is still alot of legal crap to deal with and also it gives us more time for testers and the general public to get use to what's coming into the test !!

Like trailer plugs not in the test yet but testers should be using the equipment to test if it works, so...

1, the tester gets use to it in their routine once it comes in to force!!

2, and if they find it not working they can pass and advise so it raises the awareness to the owner of the car the new regulation coming into force!!!

It's the same as air bags etc....

For the last time no one knows when it is coming in to force.... Not even Vosa employees

Hope now it clears it up end off !!!

Mk2 Ph2 172
Also I was gonna say take it to a local authority run mot station that only does the mot and no repairs you will get a genuine mot carried out as they are not looking for extra work ;)

Unlike many other places

That's a good point actually

If it should need work doing how would I get it done tho? Failed MOT means I can't drive it right?

Mk2 Ph2 172
If it has failed you can legally drive a car from the mot station to a garage to get repaired and then back to the mot station!!! Without mot

If you for pulled you would have to prove that you are doing the above !!!

Basically if it does fails get it repaired ASAP, this is why we advise people to mot their car before the expire date, upto 28 days before the expire date to keep the anniversary date !

Cheers pastieman. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Engine light is off again anyway so that's a good sign

Failed on the cable as expected

Trying to source and fit one is not an easy task! Sitting in Renault waiting for the parts guy as he didn't answer the phone as usual....

Phase 2 172 Sport
Mine failed today on 1 bottom ball joint and a rear number plate bulb. The garage can't get another bottom ball joint till Monday now either. Arghhhhh no car for the weekend !!