ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical fault????

Dan.AS

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 & Mk2 GTE 16v
My car has developed an electrical fault and I have no idea what it could be. Used my car this morning to get to work and it was absolutely fine. Drove home from work with no signs of any problems or anything. Stopped at the shop and when I got back in the car and tried turning it on and everything on the dash started flashing at me and I got nothing from the engine at all. No hint of even nearly turning over. I got the jump leads out to start the car but it took ages before it started. Got the car home, turned it off and same thing happened again. Tested the battery with a multimeter and it was giving 12.6V haven't tested the alternator yet, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I potentially spend hours Trying to find it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check all earth points in the engine bay first. Anything loose or broken = problem

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
yep, thats the ones... come back with what you find and we'll go from there.

Mick

Red 197
We checked it.
And all the earths seem fine.

The car starts when we jump it from my 197.
It doesn't start straight away tho like when normally jumping a car.
It takes about 10 mins to get enough Juice to crank it over.

Wondering if the battery is dead.

If I disconnect my 197 battery and put it in the 182 it won't screw up my immobiliser or anything will it?

Cheers for this mate.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That is one way to test it yeah and no, you wont screw up the Clio III by disconnecting the battery. You will however have to re-enter the radio code and set the time so be sure you have the four digit code before disconnecting the battery.

Mick

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Same thing has just happened to me in the last hour in my 182! Have you managed to sort it? Did it start fine with the 197 battery? I noticed on mine when I had the bonnet open and the ignition on the coilpack was making a weird noise, is that normal?

Clio 197 BMW Msport
I put a brand new battery to the car and it started first time. Left it for a while, started fine again, so fingers crossed it was a dead battery. Although I have never seen a supposedly good battery go from being very good to completely dead in 15minutes! :(

Red 197
Well just been to a mate of Das' who's an RAC man who stuck a battery tester on it.
Said it should crank 420A and it's kicking out 30A.
So he thinks it's just a dead battery and as its the original one that sounds about right for its age.

New battery tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Dan.AS

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 & Mk2 GTE 16v
Sorted. All it needed was a new battery. I feel a bit daft cos of how simple it was. But like trophy380 said, I've never seen a battery go from good to bad in the space of a couple of minutes. Thanks for all your input folks.

Skoda fabia Vrs
just happened to me in my 182 the night that a got a few days ago!! guy is picking it up tomorrow :)