ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ebay/paypal scam - new one?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So my mum has sold an old Samsonite suitcase on Ebay for a whopping total of £41.
Gets a message from the seller (with 1100+ feedback by the way) saying they want to pick it up and are coming from Fulham!! My mum lives in Wigan!!
Thought it was a bit suss but whatever, they ask for her address and postcode (mum only gave postcode not house number), email (I assume from ebay) and mobile number.
Some woman calls up on the phone to say they're going to set off the next day to pick up this suitcase as she uses it to travel all around Africa and the last one got lost on their last trip.
So today - no show, but mum's got some spammy (but very good looking - apart from the email address it came from) email saying soemthings happened to her paypal account and she should log in with a helpfully provided link. Obviously she's not clicked it but has reported it as spam.

No sign of the buyer.

Anyone heard of similar? Buyer with 1100+ feedback (hijacked account?), calls up on the phone, then get a (supposedly) targeted email and a no show?

Yep had similar mate. Sold my Galaxy note 2 is less than 5 minutes on ebay, then got the same scam mails, one from ebay one from PayPal with an email saying the funds are available for withdrawal once a tracking number is provided and item is sent to Nigeria. Rang PayPal and they confirmed its a Nigerian scam and report to Ebay.

Who the f**k would fall for this though, yours sounds like a hack one. Will be a similar outfit though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yep had similar mate. Sold my Galaxy note 2 is less than 5 minutes on ebay, then got the same scam mails, one from ebay one from PayPal with an email saying the funds are available for withdrawal once a tracking number is provided and item is sent to Nigeria. Rang PayPal and they confirmed its a Nigerian scam and report to Ebay.

Who the f**k would fall for this though, yours sounds like a hack one. Will be a similar outfit though.
Well we thought someone has called and is in the area tomorrow to collect it so fair enough. Cash on collection anyway.

But to go to all the effort of that just to send some Spam?! Much more targeted and has a legit looking ebay account.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
False alarm (maybe?!). Still seems very suss. She's just drove all the way from Fulham to wigan for a 40 quid suitcase albeit 4 hrs later than expected.

Must have just been coincidence that she got the paypal Warning email today?!

Paranoia must run in our family

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I know yeah! We're both scratching our heads. Must be a f**king good suitcase!! Will probs see it on one of those customs tv shows next week.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I sold a bike recently. It was a carrera and I got more than what I expected and what the others are going for.

Bidding ended with the highest bidder paying £215. However he decided that he didn't want to pay. I messaged him asking about collection and he replied with " I don't want it it's crap."

Total time waster. I've reported him after he sent a message saying can't afford it and he told me to do what I want. Bizarre. Why waste my time and he's?

I sold the bike on to the next highest at £201 who collected and paid.

The bay does have it's weirdos.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I sold a bike recently. It was a carrera and I got more than what I expected and what the others are going for.

Bidding ended with the highest bidder paying £215. However he decided that he didn't want to pay. I messaged him asking about collection and he replied with " I don't want it it's crap."

Total time waster. I've reported him after he sent a message saying can't afford it and he told me to do what I want. Bizarre. Why waste my time and he's?

Yep. And a lot of triers. I don't even bother with that best offer thing, it just invites mingebags. In fact ebay is so expensive to sell stuff on, people might as well buy new. Shite for selling

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

His*

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Are you sure it's not He's?

@cat171 help us out.
038c3e954a82777962dfe10ca3df028a0f8d531ea4a525d7df640d0bccc6f127.jpg

Suzuki Jimny
I had an ex colleague that was always bidding on things, and only checking where to collect from after winning. Nutter