ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eaton M62 (Mercedes) supercharger

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
Hello been looking into supercharging my engine for a while now. Been reading up on a lot of information about supercharging for awhile now and got a few questions

1) Firstly would a m62 supercharger work on the F4R ? Have seen eaton superchargers on lots of other cars and the m62 comes off a 2.3L Mercedes engine

2) would the engine upgrades be the same as if you was fitting the rotrex supercharger ? E.g key -wayed pulley, arp bolts, injectors, and fuel system etc

3) And would it be able to be mapped on the Renault ecu like the rotrex has been ?

Fitment and brackets wouldn't be a problem as I'm a machinist so can make them myself and want a project too

I have found a few people asking about this supercharger and but only one picture of it on a clio no information about it

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks Robbie

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hello been looking into supercharging my engine for a while now. Been reading up on a lot of information about supercharging for awhile now and got a few questions

1) Firstly would a m62 supercharger work on the F4R ? Have seen eaton superchargers on lots of other cars and the m62 comes off a 2.3L Mercedes engine

2) would the engine upgrades be the same as if you was fitting the rotrex supercharger ? E.g key -wayed pulley, arp bolts, injectors, and fuel system etc

3) And would it be able to be mapped on the Renault ecu like the rotrex has been ?

Fitment and brackets wouldn't be a problem as I'm a machinist so can make them myself and want a project too

I have found a few people asking about this supercharger and but only one picture of it on a clio no information about it

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks Robbie
1) You're better off with the M45 unit off a c200 merc mate as they don't have the electrically activated pulley. M62's are a bit big for a 2ltr tbh, but they would still work. Another option is the M45 off the cooper s as that will also give you the ability to run a pas pump or alternator off the other end of it.

2) The compression ratio on a standard engine will be the limiting factor here. So that leaves you with the option of low comp pistons or getting some from another 2ltr f4r. Other than that you'll need all of the above you've mentioned already mate.

3) Yes that could be done. EFI Parts in Runcorn offer a add on module for low boost conversions, so this will be the useful if you don't want to go with a mappable ecu.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes yes and yes. It's been done.

M62 is better than the M45, you'll be over spinning it to make decent top end.
Iirc the guy made 230bhp and 200lbft on the standard clutched Mercedes pulley and running 421 catcams but you can get alternative pulleys or machine your own.

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
1) You're better off with the M45 unit off a c200 merc mate as they don't have the electrically activated pulley. M62's are a bit big for a 2ltr tbh, but they would still work. Another option is the M45 off the cooper s as that will also give you the ability to run a pas pump or alternator off the other end of it.

2) The compression ratio on a standard engine will be the limiting factor here. So that leaves you with the option of low comp pistons or getting some from another 2ltr f4r. Other than that you'll need all of the above you've mentioned already mate.

3) Yes that could be done. EFI Parts in Runcorn offer a add on module for low boost conversions, so this will be the useful if you don't want to go with a mappable ecu.

the electronic clutch wouldn't be a problem as I'll just make a fixed pulley replacement to the size I need it
Would adding a thicker head gasket like the Megane be an alternative or will that not be enough ?
Thanks for the help

Yes yes and yes. It's been done.

M62 is better than the M45, you'll be over spinning it to make decent top end.
Iirc the guy made 230bhp and 200lbft on the standard clutched Mercedes pulley and running 421 catcams but you can get alternative pulleys or machine your own.

Thanks have you got any links or pictures of stuff you have seen ? I remember seeing your name in a few of the threads I have looked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
the electronic clutch wouldn't be a problem as I'll just make a fixed pulley replacement to the size I need it
Would adding a thicker head gasket like the Megane be an alternative or will that not be enough ?
Thanks for the help

Thanks have you got any links or pictures of stuff you have seen ? I remember seeing your name in a few of the threads I have looked up

I personally see thicker head gaskets as bodging mate, but yeah it would work. You'd need to cc the chambers etc though to see if it will gain you enough of a drop.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd leave the compression ratio as it is tbh

Try searching for M62 catcams 421. If I get some time I'll see if I can find the thread

SQ5
Proof of when this has worked before?

Twin screws command a lot more torque to turn than a centrifugal supercharger, the gains just aren't there.

I think there were two people who tried it, one never heard anything and one had it all up and running but never posted his mapping results and quickly broke the car

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
I personally see thicker head gaskets as bodging mate, but yeah it would work. You'd need to cc the chambers etc though to see if it will gain you enough of a drop.
ferriday do a decompression plate for the f4r.

That's fair enough I'll look into it thanks

I'd leave the compression ratio as it is tbh

Try searching for M62 catcams 421. If I get some time I'll see if I can find the thread

Ok thanks for the help

Proof of when this has worked before?

Twin screws command a lot more torque to turn than a centrifugal supercharger, the gains just aren't there.

I think there were two people who tried it, one never heard anything and one had it all up and running but never posted his mapping results and quickly broke the car

Yeh I know was never expecting the same gains as the rotrex
Thanks for the advice

cattlerustler

ClioSport Club Member
  Exige S Clio Cup
I used to run an MP62 SC on my Lotus Exige, with the Toyota engine it was good for 300hp, you did need a decent charge cooler or intercooler for that HP as it did generate a lot of heat.

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
I used to run an MP62 SC on my Lotus Exige, with the Toyota engine it was good for 300hp, you did need a decent charge cooler or intercooler for that HP as it did generate a lot of heat.

Ah nice was that the one off the Mercedes or the one that eaton sold ?

SQ5
I imagine it's price and limited use/repair options.

The twin screw just won't work though so it is really the only option. And most definitely worth it!

robbie514566

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, BMW 120i
What's putting you off the Rotrex bud?

Welcome to head out with me in mine if you want to see what it's like prior to making the decision to boost.

Yeh it was mainly cost as its a fraction of the cost to the rotrex and the maintaining costs are also a lot cheaper.
And if you don't mind and have the time I'm definitely up for seeing what its like thanks let me know when it's possible to go out.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yeh it was mainly cost as its a fraction of the cost to the rotrex and the maintaining costs are also a lot cheaper.
And if you don't mind and have the time I'm definitely up for seeing what its like thanks let me know when it's possible to go out.

This Thursday evening? As long as it hasn't been raining.

PM me, and we'll sort a time mate.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
The Rotrex is definitely worth it!

Without a doubt the best thing I've done to the Clio...well that and the Quaife! [emoji6]

If you have any questions @Cub. Is your man! I picked his brain fog quite sometime before I got round to fitting the kit to mine!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk