ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dummies guide to fixing the washer jet pump...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Been reading all through various threads this afternoon as I need to get this sorted... unfortunately I've come stuck quite quickly! I've read the entire thread on the proper 'guide' to doing this, but lack of images is holding me back :eek:

I've seen many people say you can get this job done without removing the wipers, but that it makes it easier to do so, so I gave it a go. This is how far I got lol...

IMG_1592_zps7888dca1.jpg

IMG_1593_zps0c59e8d6.jpg

They will not budge! I've soaked them in WD and trying levering off to the point where the scuttle panel is about to snap. So I'm not too sure what else can be done about this. Thought I'd carry on and see how far I could get without them removed. I see from other threads that the motor is below the part these wires are connected to... is that right?

IMG_1594_zpsfea6820c.jpg

However, it would seem to get the actual bottle out to reach the motor you need to tackle this beast of a bolt? I'm talking about the black one just above the green cable (not the nearer, silver one... that would be too easy!)

IMG_1595_zpsaf4b6019.jpg

I tried, believe me... but I don't see how it's possible to get that off. Just an overall image of where I'm at lol, not far as you can see!

IMG_1596_zps6f374846.jpg

My car's actually going into the garage tomorrow for something else and I could just ask them to do it but I hate getting defeated... any tips!?

Black Sheep
Buy a ball joint seperator from halfords for £8 gets the wipers with ease. That was after I cracked my windscreen so be warned lol.

Cup In bits
From where you are, take the plug out the pump, pair of pliers and grab the pump and pull, job done lol.

Its only held in by friction and sealed with a grommet.

re-wipers, screw the nuts back on a few threads, hold a pulling tension on the wipers near the spindle..... lightly tap the spindle with a hammer and the nut on, it will fly off. Sometimes you have to get a little rough with wipers as they are on a tapered spline drive and the two metals that make the connection corrode together.

EDIT: your top mount cap doesn't look right either.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Cheers for the tools link! Never heard of one of those before... need something quick delivery though as need this done before Trax.

Swede cup: If you take the plug off (grey and pink wires? How do you do this as I thought I was gonna snap the damn thing) then you can literally just grab it up from there? Sounds a bit easier than taking the wipers off etc.

Cup In bits
Yes there will be a small clip built into the plug, might be a bit fiddly with it in situ. Failing that just pull it (pump) towards the front of the car as much as possible with the plug still attached and pull up, the pump will come out.

Get physical with the wipers first though (above method with a bit of wiggling) never known a front set bad enough to not come off, the rears are a different story.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Starting to get somewhere! I got to the pump now, but in this picture (stolen from another thread) is the white bit meant to come out the black bit?

attachment.php

Because I've been trying for half hour and it's not going anywhere! Any tactics?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay so I got it apart, found the rubber that needed trimming, got it all back together (which was a bigger pain in the arse than taking it apart!) and...

Nadda, nothing, zero. No change whatsoever. I'm not trying again lol, so I'll just get my garage to have a look before I hit Trax. Never mind! You win some, you lose some... at least I know I tried :boring:

Err........

You aren't supposed to pull the white bit out - that's just getting to the inside of the pump, the pump will be fecked.
Buy new one for a tenner, pull old one out, take hoses off, put hoses on new one, push new one in .. job done

Lionel Richie
why on earth people **** about trying to fix the pumps is beyond me, they can be found for £8 NEW online, your all mad

Black Sheep
why on earth people **** about trying to fix the pumps is beyond me, they can be found for £8 NEW online, your all mad

Agreed, but in my case it took me minutes to trim that bit of rubber down. I found it quite easy seperating the pump without destroying it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I think you're right! Wish I had researched the price before trying lol... anyway, slight development. I had a few hours to spare so thought f**k it, go and buy a new one.

Have that fitted now, but still nothing. The only thing I'm thinking, is where I took the hoses off, I didn't make a note of what one went on what side, would this make a difference as in nothing coming out at all!?

That's nothing from the windscreen washers or the headlight washers. Thought I'd ask on here first before taking the bloody thing out again (sick of it!) if that's not the problem then I guess mine is more mysterious than most :mad:

Cup In bits
Does the pump you replaced make a noise or any of the pumps for that matter, it could be a fuse/wiring.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yeah first thing I checked. Well after pulling the lever for ages, it started coming out my headlight washers, like... a load, spraying everywhere!

​But still nothing from the windscreen ones unfortunately. Oh well car's going in garage tomorrow so I'll get them to have a look around. Maybe something's just blocked somewhere.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey guys, just a quick question;

I've read through this thread to try and sort mine out, but I think that the issue may be different with mine. I still get the noise of the pump working, but there nothing is happening with the front or the rear. Is this just a case of swapping the pumps and hoping for the best?

renault clio 1.4 16v
mine did the same, made noise but nothing came out, managed to get a new one for 200 rand (around 12 pounds), replaced it and it worked fine, my windskreen wiper arms were rusted on, no amount of penetrating oil did anything, just managed to get them off with a small wheel bearing remover

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey guys, just a quick question;

I've read through this thread to try and sort mine out, but I think that the issue may be different with mine. I still get the noise of the pump working, but there nothing is happening with the front or the rear. Is this just a case of swapping the pumps and hoping for the best?

Ignore this - I went and bought a new one, straight swap :D

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Little update on the op actually, I managed to get a new pump on the right side and everything's working! Lovely... however, I have a grinding noise coming from somewhere, sounds like it might be the mechanism against the water bottle. Anyone else had this? Only started hearing it just as I had put it back together so I'm not taking it apart again now. Will it be legal like this?

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
When you put the wiper motor back in, it mounts on a post which is quite easy to miss. If its not quite mounted right you'll get the sort of noise your describing.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Really I wouldn't have thought there was any movable parts there... nightmare of a job getting that thing in, maybe I'll just leave it. I was thinking it might be that I've put the single wiper connection on too low and it's hitting something after its limits.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thought I'd update this just to say I found the noise! It was where you attach the wiper mechanism back on... there's a point that sticks out attached to the car and I put the mechanism underneath this, instead of putting it through the middle. All done now :)