ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dubai 24hr 2012 (pic heavy)

E30 318iS x2
Firstly these are all iphone pics so they're crap. Also couldn't imbed the Youtube videos, maybe a mod can edit for me? :approve:

Any way, late in 2011 I got a call from United Autosport asking to work at the Dunlop Dubai 24hr this year on an MP4C Mclaren, I um'd and ah'd and eventualy said yes ;) Two days later Mclaren had pulled out, bad times. Thankfuly the team were running two R8 LMS cars and decided to take me along any way as extra staff, tidy :cool:

So on the 8th of Jan I flew out from Manchester on an Emirates A380, what a mega bit of kit that is! We arrived about 2am, got the hotel and thankfuly got a lay in and didn't have to leave until 11am the next morning. The rest of the team had been out there a couple of days previous so had set up the garage so first couple of days were fairly chilled.

88eaf393.jpg

90c651b6.jpg

31506f73.jpg

792c42cf.jpg

Wednesday morning we were down at scruteneering nice and early so got a couple of pics:

331e2690.jpg

2b9ec618.jpg

bdd2163d.jpg

Nissan Juke R:

55eec57f.jpg

Wednesday afternoon the running kicked off with testing then Thursday was ram packed with running with free practice galore in the morning then day and night qualifying later on.

Thankfuly we finished at a reasonable time and managed to get some sleep for the next day. Friday morning we waved good bye to our beds as we wouldn't be seeing them for 2 days and set off. The race started at 2pm which is a welcome change to Britcar starting at bloody 4.30pm. For the race I was doing fueling which was done in a petrol station at the end of the pitlane, which had no shade and we had to wear full fireproofs, hotter than the sun springs to mind. Before the race started we took and EZUP pop up tent down there which made us very popular with the other teams.

Race start:

Got a couple of pics from the race but not many, which seems odd seeing as I had plenty of time :rasp:

5d72fe68.jpg

2dbc175e.jpg

Night time:

938e366b.jpg

185e6408.jpg

Listen to the noise of these beasts as they leave the fuel station and pit lane:

Having fun:

66161784.jpg

Sun rise:

b3a2d1a5.jpg

6a5fc6ba.jpg

Race finish:

http://youtu.be/nLTlV2_SaKc

Some tired race cars:

d30e24a7.jpg

93bf652b.jpg

25fd5066.jpg

77486124.jpg

078ff436.jpg

Garage dismantled:

c7914090.jpg

During the race we did sadly have a few problems with both cars from wiring faults to a gearbox change. The guys in the garage worked flat out and both cars did finish the race, albeit not where we wanted them to but they did finish! We were looking at top 10 for both cars but thats the way it goes.

Hopefuly be going for the win next year :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
One hell of an experience i'm sure; hopefully next year i will be out there.

My mate Rob Barff didn't get a go, he was in one of the 458s but his team mate crashed out.

E30 318iS x2
Awesome, whats your job in all this then Rich?

Spare mechanic and then re-fueling during the running.

Nice, sorted your video's :)
Missed the race finish one :rasp: but tah :cheers:

madness, watched the race too. glad you enjoyed it!

From what I hear there were some good battles up the front. Got regular updates from the mrs who downloaded the live timing stuff and had a mini race controll going on lol.

One hell of an experience i'm sure; hopefully next year i will be out there.

My mate Rob Barff didn't get a go, he was in one of the 458s but his team mate crashed out.

I was pretty mega to be stood there and have SLS's, 997 RS's, Gallardo's and our R8's almost running you over whilst fighting for a pump to fuel the cars:race:

It was Rob that put the 458 on pole wasn't it? On one of my frequent toilet runs I saw the 458 in the garage with more duct-tape than orignal body panels.