ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR camera time

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
ukaskew said:
Essentially if you think you have money to spend (lots of it) over and above your initial purchase then get a DSLR, chances are you wouldn't want to upgrade/sell up for years and the lenses can always be moved to a new body in future.

If you want to spend £400 and not have to think about future costs again, get a bridge camera (the Panasonic FZs finally seem to have really gained popularity in the UK) they are more than capable of stunning shots and although the technical quality will never be up to DSLR level, you find many people with both say that they actually get better photographs with the bridge camera, simply because it's there and ready and has a huge range.

The biggest risk with the DSLR is the constant expandability, not getting the shots you want? Just buy a better lens. However with a bridge camera they can really make you think about what you could achieve with what you have. I put my improvement purely down to my FZ20, for example...

Just after I bought it I saw this shot..

56013307-M.jpg

It blew me away, I couldn't even understand how it was possible to get such a shot out of the FZ20 and assumed it was from a DSLR, but after some practice I consistently got stuff like this...

77665767-M.jpg

I'm not saying I couldn't have done this with a DSLR, but I didn't have to spend a single penny over and above my initial purchase price to get that, it was purely down to practice, practice and learning.

Quite tempted by one of these now, whats the maximum shutter time on these, and how much manual "fiddling" can you do?

There aint no one near Birmingham with one is there to show me lol?

Fiesta ST
yeah i've got the FZ50 - highly recommend it!! F2.8, 60 sec shutter if needed :) of course you can tweak every setting - and shoot in RAW so no camera processing 10.1mp - 35mm-420mm lens. Add convertors for extra wide or extra distance - Hot shoe. manual focus ring. Burst mode, bracket mode list is endless :) proof is in the pudding though at the end of the day see http://www.flickr.com/groups/13491339@N00/ for some samples.

Mike-bham said:
Quite tempted by one of these now, whats the maximum shutter time on these, and how much manual "fiddling" can you do?

There aint no one near Birmingham with one is there to show me lol?

Potentially the FZ30 is the better buy, should be cheaper and there is less noise due to the fewer number of pixels (pixels = marketing tool, over and above 5MP they really mean nothing to 99% of digital camera users), also means you can get many more shots on a card. I actually had the FZ10 and FZ20 and both were incredible, just sold the 20, went within a few days of advertising it at work.

Nearly ever shot here has been taken with the FZ10 and FZ20 to give you an idea.

They offer full manual control, speed, aperture etc. High ISO performance isn't great but to be honest with the Image Stabilization there is no need to bump that up very far.

Fiesta ST
ukaskew said:
Potentially the FZ30 is the better buy, should be cheaper and there is less noise due to the fewer number of pixels (pixels = marketing tool, over and above 5MP they really mean nothing to 99% of digital camera users).

Slightly disagree with you there I think the FZ50 is worth the extra bit of cash (£380 brand new! bargin) its has many other benefits over the FZ30 although slight they include much improved ISO settings especially at 400, easy of use. Noise isn't really a issue unless your doing massive prints - i really looked into the two cameras, thinking about saving a few quid for the FZ30 but stretch that bit more and your get a fantastic deal.

Rally bus
Jay said:
My dad was big into photography back in the day, and still has some old lens. Would these be able to fit a Digital SLR as well as a Film SLR?

Generally yes assuming they are the same make of camera.

I use Nikon stuff but I think the equivalent Canon gear works just as well... it comes down to which feels best to use, the Nikon felt a lot better quality to me hence I got the Nikon but as regards results it comes down to who is using the camera I think.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Jay said:
Yeah being new to the game will take some practice.

My dad was big into photography back in the day, and still has some old lens. Would these be able to fit a Digital SLR as well as a Film SLR?

Got to be same type fitting, ie Canon EF, Minolta A or whatever.
HOWEVER....Digital Lenses magnify the power of standard 35mm lenses by about 1.5x
ie, your 50-200mm lens say, becomes 100-300mm. Basically you only get the middle part of the image.
Best off getting new digital specific lenses imo.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
I think the fz50 is a bit out of my price range really, although it looks really good!

What Kind of price should I be looking at really for the 20? I take it the 20 has the 60 sec shutter length etc too?

Is this price about right?

Edit that, second hand, was 210 on amazon, but used.

Maybe I should wait till christmas and see If someone will go halves lol

Mike-bham said:
I think the fz50 is a bit out of my price range really, although it looks really good!

What Kind of price should I be looking at really for the 20? I take it the 20 has the 60 sec shutter length etc too?

Is this price about right?

Edit that, second hand, was 210 on amazon, but used.

Maybe I should wait till christmas and see If someone will go halves lol

FZ20 maximum shutter length is 8 seconds, one of the reasons I moved to the D50 as I wanted a bulb mode for light-trails etc. Things get a bit noisy with compact cameras over an extended shutter length due to the small sensor, that's why it was limited to 8 seconds.

I sold my FZ20 with shed-loads of extras for £250 recently, should be able to get a good one for that sort of money.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
I might wait and get a fz50 looking at it then, as my current camera goes to 8 seconds, and I need more lol

306 TD Slut
it doesnt really matter how good the camera is to take a good pic. i personally use a canon eos 350d. thats mainy because i eed to zoom into the images and cut thing out etc..

check this link, i took these with my gf's canon 4mp camera. thought the results were pretty good.

http://www.marksimons.co.uk/Egypt.htm

furry_cup said:
it doesnt really matter how good the camera is to take a good pic. i personally use a canon eos 350d. thats mainy because i eed to zoom into the images and cut thing out etc..

check this link, i took these with my gf's canon 4mp camera. thought the results were pretty good.

superb pics - canons powershot and ixus range punch well above there weight!

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
ukaskew said:
FZ20 maximum shutter length is 8 seconds, one of the reasons I moved to the D50 as I wanted a bulb mode for light-trails etc. Things get a bit noisy with compact cameras over an extended shutter length due to the small sensor, that's why it was limited to 8 seconds.

I sold my FZ20 with shed-loads of extras for £250 recently, should be able to get a good one for that sort of money.

Well I did these shots,using my mums aldi camera, Its got a 8 second Shutter speed, and 3x optical zoom, come out well considering.

th_PICT2488.jpg
th_PICT2050.jpg
th_PICT2696.jpg
th_PICT2683.jpg
th_PICT2666.jpg
th_PICT2664.jpg

th_PICT2660.jpg
th_PICT2658.jpg
th_PICT2654.jpg

th_PICT2587.jpg
th_Brands2.jpg
th_Brands1.jpg

th_Brands3.jpg
th_PICT2883.jpg
th_PICT2809.jpg

And funny enough, went to the news agent to get a photography mag, and try and find out more about the FZ50, and looky here!

th_Image1307.jpg

furry_cup said:

some cool pics there!

306 TD Slut
i love using the powershot, its nearly adjustable as my 350d. i have some really nice pics of around london too. mainly use the 350 for work stuff.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm currently trying to decide between buying a FZ50 (£370), PowerShot S3 IS (£299) or a Canon 350D. I think the 350D will probably be ruled out though due to the ongoing costs associated with a full DSLR.

Of the other two cameras which would you choose and why?

Many thanks

306 TD Slut
id choose canon, purely because we work with them everyday and they fail to dissapoint. Some of our customers use the S3 IS and the S2 IS, it seems to be a popular choice, which would mean to me that they are a good camera.

heres a linky to a good review s3IS
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

FZ50
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

Imo, id go for canon, i always have and seriously cant fault them. Personally id go for the 350D, then its a whole new ball game, with accessories and lenses. But a full DSLR is more expensive like you said.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Thanks for the reply. I've spent most of the morning at work reading forums and reviews in order to gain more info on these two cameras, the popular opinion is that the FZ50 offers far more options and is an allround better camera than the Canon. At low ISO settings it works brilliantly but above 200 it'll be no match for a DSLR.

Tough one, the majority will say Canon but anyone who has ever 'taken a risk' and owned a 12x zoom Panasonic will say nothing but good things about it.

The FZ20 won we competitions and got me a comissioned job when both up against DSLRs, and it taught me everything I know. I honestly don't think you will find a better fixed lens camera (obviously the FZ30 and 50 also comes under this), especially at that price now.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Fz50 is on tinternet at 349 if you search through google, found it at college the other night, but cant bloody find it now!

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
When taking a pcture on the fz50, do you have to look through the eye piece, or does it come up on the screen? Someone told me on their dslr they have to look through the eye piece to take a pic???

Lee

BMW M2C
Mike-bham said:
When taking a pcture on the fz50, do you have to look through the eye piece, or does it come up on the screen? Someone told me on their dslr they have to look through the eye piece to take a pic???

Yup, the screen is only for setting it up and previewing the shots afterwards.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Hmm that's a bit pants lol, why's that?

Would that go for the panasonic too though, as its not actaully a slr?

Mike-bham said:
Hmm that's a bit pants lol, why's that?

Would that go for the panasonic too though, as its not actaully a slr?

Panny has an electronic viewfinder, so you can use the LCD screen or the eye-piece.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Panny does look like the most likely option for me, I really am tempted by the canon 350D but I know I'll not have the funds to buy all the lenses required to match the range and IS available on the FZ50.

So long as it's suitable for landscape and motorsport pics then I'll be happy?

The LCD screen on the Panny can be used while taking pics and can also be swivelled and tilted.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Loving your pics :) I tried not to look at the galleries containing shots using the D50 just incase they had extra life and clarity to them :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
I could stretch to this kit but again I'd no doubt need to improve on it still. I just looked at lens prices and they are not cheap.

Nikon D50 Black plus
AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G IF ED plus
AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

306 TD Slut
cheapest i could find was same as ukaskew. 365. either way for that rpice you will get a nice bit of kit! :)

S

Scott182

Sorry to hijack your post but if your interested i have a brand new Canon eos 30d for sale,

Have the body only plus a 18 to 75 lens.

All boxed and still sealed.

Pm if your interested.

Cheers Scott.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Is this package any good?

Canon EOS400D packaged with 18-55mm Canon lens, Tamron 55-200mm lens, 1GB memory card and LowePro case - £650

or this

EOS350D 8.0 megapixel camera with 18 - 55mm lens - includes 90-300mm additional lens, 1Gb memory card and camera case - £599

or stick with the FZ50? I can afford any one of the above.

sneeks said:
Is this package any good?

Canon EOS400D packaged with 18-55mm Canon lens, Tamron 55-200mm lens, 1GB memory card and LowePro case - £650

or this

EOS350D 8.0 megapixel camera with 18 - 55mm lens - includes 90-300mm additional lens, 1Gb memory card and camera case - £599

or stick with the FZ50? I can afford any one of the above.

Depends on exactly which additional lens you get, but the 400D package could potentially be a good buy. I've always avoided packages with memory, it's stupidly cheap to buy seperately but an easy way for companies to boost the price of package deals.