ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR camera time

Looking into getting one of these bad boys. Don't really know alot about them, but I've noticed the new Nikon D80 and Canon 400D are out now but these are little out my price range.

But now the new models are out, I bet there are going to be some bargains on the older models Nikon D50 & D70 also the Canon 350D?

What are peoples thoughts / reviews on the D50/D70/350D?

Would it be better to buy body only and a different lens i.e. none kit pack?

Thanks

D50 and standard lens is awesome, really helpful for getting started but then everything is there once you know exactly what you are doing.

In a recent Digital Photography magazine test it beat the 350D in pretty much every test apart from getting huge prints done (due to the difference in megapixels), it's pretty damn cheap too, £380-400 for the standard lens kit box. I personally went for it because it handles so much better, it's slightly bigger but the hand grip and positioning of the controls is absolutely spot on.

A mini gallery of pics from my first week with it, all with the standard 18-55mm kit lens http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/1902370

dk

911 GTS Cab
i would go the opposite way and say go for the 350d kit, its a great camera to start with, in nearly every test i have seen it has beaten off the competition.

The kit lense is also pretty good, nice wide angle, i then went for a fantastic canon L-series lens which is what the professionals use and its amazing, so i would personally stick with canon now so that i can use the L-series lens

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Canon 350D is brilliant value for money and there are a lot of good lenses around for it as they have been used for years on the EOS range.
I love mine, I have never found it wanting on anything. Motorsport, Equestrian, Airshows and close-up stuff for Feebay-ing.
I have the double battery pack and a 2GB cf card gives 500 shots...awsome !
Will also do video sequences and playback on the TV, but I have a video cam for that.

Go play with one in Dixons, then buy one online for 2/3 the price.

dk

911 GTS Cab
BrianR said:
Canon 350D is brilliant value for money and there are a lot of good lenses around for it as they have been used for years on the EOS range.
I love mine, I have never found it wanting on anything. Motorsport, Equestrian, Airshows and close-up stuff for Feebay-ing.
I have the double battery pack and a 2GB cf card gives 500 shots...awsome !
Will also do video sequences and playback on the TV, but I have a video cam for that.

Go play with one in Dixons, then buy one online for 2/3 the price.
eh, video sequences, you sure?

Nikon D50...

I use it over my D200 in a fair few situations! Excellent camera, especially at the price its at currently.

350D or D50 it is then :)

You need to get out and handle them both really. I had my heart set on a 350D until I actually had a good play with one, then tried the Nikon and loved it despite not really researching it as much. The majority of people own the 350D (the megapixels alone will shift units, despite being largely irrelevant for 95% of owners) so support and second hand lenses will be plentiful, but at the same time I've never met a D50 owner who hasn't loved it, and have now heard from two people who use it over their more expensive DSLR!

Bonus was it was also much cheaper!

clio mk1 ph3
Id go with a 350d over a D50, for me ive always had canon cameras so know the automatic settings and extras. Never let me down either

RS 200
DSC_0284.JPG DSC_0288.JPG DSC_0324.JPG DSC_0438.JPG lightning.jpg

Here are a selection of some that I have taken this year. SLR's are great for manual settings allowing you to set the apertures are shutter speeds aswell as other settings like white balance and ISO. Used the shutter speed in manual mode to capture the lightning.

I have the Nikon D70s, the kit lens is fine but I also baught a Sigma lens that had a little more reach. Went for Sigma as they do quality lenses and are cheaper than Nikon lenses.

Personally I preffered the Nikon over the Canon as it just felt better, bigger and more solid even though the Canon 350d does have a slightly more MP.

MP's aside I am still able to crop an image, quite drastically sometimes, send it off to photobox and get a high quality A3 print back.

As said above, pop into a shop see how they feel in the hand then purchase off the net.

Chris

dk

911 GTS Cab
personally i wouldn't go by the pics people post as it will depend on the photographer how good the pics are and the lens, not how good the camera is really.

Both cameras are pretty much equal, i didn't look at the megapixels when choosing, i went by the reviews and the amount of lenses available for them.

Some people don't like the size of the 350d as its small and light which suits me fine as i have small dainty hands ;)

i could post my pics, but as i said, it doesn't really prove anything, i would go and touch up both and see which one draws you.

Not sure on the burst capability of the nikon, but thats something i use alot on my canon anyway so i'd say thats a must.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Jay

Have you considered a bridge/prosumer camera?

Had Minolta SLRs for years and just flogged them and bought a Fuji S9500.

9.5Megapixels, 28-300mm built in zoom lens, 58mm thread for filters, non-rotating lens.

£300. Results are superb. No lens swapping, no probs with dust etc. Whip camera out and off you go.....easy.

I'll post some of my pics from F1 testing.

Just a thought, didn't think I could be tempted away from (D)SLRs.

James

ps......Nikon D50 = sd card, Canon 350d = Compact Flash[better]

Thanks for all your input guys.

I've got an SD card slot on the front of my panasonic plasma to view pictures I guess I wouldn't get to use that with the Canon? :rolleyes: only joking.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
dave182 said:

i could post my pics, but as i said, it doesn't really prove anything, i would go and touch up both and see which one draws you.

Not sure on the burst capability of the nikon, but thats something i use alot on my canon anyway so i'd say thats a must.

Quite right Dave.

Burst capability on my Fuji is poor, about 1.4 frames per second. And it only records the last or first four of the sequence. Not that i use that function much.

106 GTi
I have to say the 350D.

I tried both the D50 and 350D in the shop and prefered the 350D.

The Canon Kit lens can take some great shots, but is let down by its build quality, mine had a horrible zoom ring from new and filled up with dust in a matter of months, also feels very cheap. Get a better Canon lens and the kit cheapy will seem even worse.

The body of the DSLR is where it all begins, to get the best from it you will need to add on some decent lenses to get the best out of it where if you not carefull the costs can rocket. For me Canon lenses are the main reason to get a Canon body.

Go and have a play with both and see what your prefer.

M

mij29

TELFORDS_LURK said:
View attachment 12686 View attachment 12687 View attachment 12688 View attachment 12689 View attachment 12690

Here are a selection of some that I have taken this year. SLR's are great for manual settings allowing you to set the apertures are shutter speeds aswell as other settings like white balance and ISO. Used the shutter speed in manual mode to capture the lightning.

I have the Nikon D70s, the kit lens is fine but I also baught a Sigma lens that had a little more reach. Went for Sigma as they do quality lenses and are cheaper than Nikon lenses.

Personally I preffered the Nikon over the Canon as it just felt better, bigger and more solid even though the Canon 350d does have a slightly more MP.

MP's aside I am still able to crop an image, quite drastically sometimes, send it off to photobox and get a high quality A3 print back.

As said above, pop into a shop see how they feel in the hand then purchase off the net.

Chris

love the lighting 1, how do youtake shots like that, do you need a tripod and remote control??
Ive got a panasonic fz30 by the way.

I would say the 350D. Although you can get the 400D for £520 with kit lens, which is good considering it's just come out.

would a 18-55mm size lens be a good starter lens? or would you buy body only and get a bigger lens?

Someone mentioned the possibility of a bridge camera, you really can't go wrong with one of those.

I had a Panasonic FZ20 and although the actual technical quality of the images wasn't as good as a DSLR, the actual photographs were arguably better in many cases as it was always there and ready for absolutely anything you could possibly throw at it.

The spec is ridiculous...36-432mm, F2.8, IS (and arguably the best IS system anywhere)

Whilst it's not really comparable to an F2.8 lens for a DSLR, it does take an awesome photograph, and even to get the cheapest possible DSLR lens to cover anything like that range and a stable shot would cost firmly in silly money territory.

As mentioned samples are not really that helpful, but with a fixed lens it can show exactly what is achievable...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/1863492

Take the airshow pics for example, didn't have to spend a penny to get those shots, yet if you want to take a DSLR along say goodbye to £300 at the very least for an average lens and start doing some serious cropping when you get home. I've had a third, second and first in motorsport competitions up against almost exclusively DSLR opposition with it, and although I'm improving I've only been taking pictures for a little over 2 years and much less than that for motorsport.

You still get manual control over everything too if wanted, and I believe the FZ30 and now FZ50 have taken it all a step further with lovely manual zoom control.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

106 GTi
Jay said:
would a 18-55mm size lens be a good starter lens? or would you buy body only and get a bigger lens?

Ideal range as a walkabout lens on a Canon crop body like the 350D. To short for m/sport track work though, where you need a minimum of 200 mm idealy 300 mm plus.

I currently have a 28-105, 70 - 200, and 300 mm lenses that I use. Looking to get a 17-40mm wide angle for next year to replace the wide angle I missed when I gave up on using the kit 18-55 lens.

I have a Sigma 70 -300 lens I am going to sell cheap soon if you do go for the Canon and want a cheap second lense Jay.

Cool cheers Rich. Haven't had time to go out and play with the cameras, looks like it's going to be next week when I get one.

top of the pyramid
Ive got a D50 , its a pritty good camera but like rich said earlier its all down to personnal choice. Motorsport pics with a tamaron zoom lens

DSC_0306.gif

DSC_0063.gif

DSC_0616.gif

DSC_0028.gif

^^^Nikon kit lens

mij29 said:
love the lighting 1, how do youtake shots like that, do you need a tripod and remote control??
Ive got a panasonic fz30 by the way.
Tripod is essential really, then a remote would help remove camera shake.
Your best bet would then be Av or Tv mode, set the camera to shoot for sevaral seconds, 8 for examples with a high F number. Then click and hope that lightning strikes when your shooting.

On the what camera front I'd personally go 350D, has advantages with better ISO etc but see which feels best.
As said check http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
You'll find you'll end up spending more on individual lenses than the body!

As also mentioned look at some DSRL-a-like cameras like the Panasonic Lumix or Canon S3 IS.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have a D50 it's my first DSLR and i am very pleased with it, i chose it over the cannon because it was cheaper and the extra money i saved allowed me to buy a tamron 300mm lens (was on special offer at jessops) but from what i have read there is not a lot between them, but i raed a review in a magazine the other week and as sombody said the nikkon beat all the others hands down.
at the end of the day both are going to be a lot better than a compact

ff 182
^both are going to be better then a compact...hmmmm.i have 2 dslr cameras the olympus e10 and 500 .i also have the samsung 815 pro,and the picture quality from the samsung is better then both slr's.there some good bridge compacts out there that will give any entey level slr a run for it's money!!

zack40 said:
^both are going to be better then a compact...hmmmm.i have 2 dslr cameras the olympus e10 and 500 .i also have the samsung 815 pro,and the picture quality from the samsung is better then both slr's.there some good bridge compacts out there that will give any entey level slr a run for it's money!!

The bridge cameras are very good value for money and cover a large focal range but with a DSLR you need a wide variety of lenses and more after image processing,compacts do far more sharpening and enhancing as the image is taken.

Leeds_VTO said:
Ive got a D50 , its a pritty good camera but like rich said earlier its all down to personnal choice. Motorsport pics with a tamaron zoom lens

Which Tamron is that? Is it pretty good in low light, good autofocus etc? I'm currently saving for the Nikon 18-200 mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR for my D50 which I should be able to get before next season starts up! Seems to have very fast autofocus which is the main thing I'm looking for.

I love the 18-55mm kit lens with the D50, really pleased how close it can focus and it's great for landscapes and portraits.

Last edited:
cool pics sm wrc! So tempted with the D50+18-55mm kit for the price. Just need to go and look and have a feel for the cameras.

Essentially if you think you have money to spend (lots of it) over and above your initial purchase then get a DSLR, chances are you wouldn't want to upgrade/sell up for years and the lenses can always be moved to a new body in future.

If you want to spend £400 and not have to think about future costs again, get a bridge camera (the Panasonic FZs finally seem to have really gained popularity in the UK) they are more than capable of stunning shots and although the technical quality will never be up to DSLR level, you find many people with both say that they actually get better photographs with the bridge camera, simply because it's there and ready and has a huge range.

The biggest risk with the DSLR is the constant expandability, not getting the shots you want? Just buy a better lens. However with a bridge camera they can really make you think about what you could achieve with what you have. I put my improvement purely down to my FZ20, for example...

Just after I bought it I saw this shot..

56013307-M.jpg

It blew me away, I couldn't even understand how it was possible to get such a shot out of the FZ20 and assumed it was from a DSLR, but after some practice I consistently got stuff like this...

77665767-M.jpg

I'm not saying I couldn't have done this with a DSLR, but I didn't have to spend a single penny over and above my initial purchase price to get that, it was purely down to practice, practice and learning.

Renaultsport 220T
Jay said:
cool pics sm wrc! So tempted with the D50+18-55mm kit for the price. Just need to go and look and have a feel for the cameras.

Cheers Jay, I bought the twin lens kit, think you can get it for around £560 now.

Yeah being new to the game will take some practice.

My dad was big into photography back in the day, and still has some old lens. Would these be able to fit a Digital SLR as well as a Film SLR?