ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drove a Trophy and a cup yesterday!

M

M7CUO_V6

I have just sold the v6, got a good price for it so now i have a decent wedge in my back pocket to play with.

I want a raw divers car, the v6 was fantastic to own, but not quite all that. Im indecisive weater to spend the whole lot on a nice spangaly Trophy or save half the wedge and buy a 172 cup which, I would of thought is just as much fun to drive and as quick but not such a nice car,ie, the recaros,toys newness etc. The bloke who has just bought my car drives a 172 cup and his wife has a trophy. He let me go for a drive in his cup...

Compared to the vee it is obviously a lot differant car, doesn't have the noise and grunt. You have to give it beans to get it shifting but it does go well, and i could tell you could have a lot of fun with it! It had some twin exit exhaust and i/k so it didn't sound to bad either, its prob not the best example ever but it has 37k on the clock, he said i could have it for 6 grand. Do you think that would be a fair price?

In the afternoon i went to few 'TOM1600's troph thats for sale, he's i nice bloke and his Trophy is very nice indeed! Couldn't fault it apart from on slight chip on the bonnet. We went for a drive, must admit i would have to get an exhaust etc on there because its lacking some sound track untill your hammering it. Obviously handled very well etc but is it worth paying doudle the price of a cup which basicly does the same job??

The Trophy just didn't make me want to throw my money at the seller like the vee did.

I have just sold the v6, got a good price for it so now i have a decent wedge in my back pocket to play with.

I want a raw divers car, the v6 was fantastic to own, but not quite all that. Im indecisive weater to spend the whole lot on a nice spangaly Trophy or save half the wedge and buy a 172 cup which, I would of thought is just as much fun to drive and as quick but not such a nice car,ie, the recaros,toys newness etc. The bloke who has just bought my car drives a 172 cup and his wife has a trophy. He let me go for a drive in his cup...

Compared to the vee it is obviously a lot differant car, doesn't have the noise and grunt. You have to give it beans to get it shifting but it does go well, and i could tell you could have a lot of fun with it! It had some twin exit exhaust and i/k so it didn't sound to bad either, its prob not the best example ever but it has 37k on the clock, he said i could have it for 6 grand. Do you think that would be a fair price?

In the afternoon i went to few 'TOM1600's troph thats for sale, he's i nice bloke and his Trophy is very nice indeed! Couldn't fault it apart from on slight chip on the bonnet. We went for a drive, must admit i would have to get an exhaust etc on there because its lacking some sound track untill your hammering it. Obviously handled very well etc but is it worth paying doudle the price of a cup which basicly does the same job??

The Trophy just didn't make me want to throw my money at the seller like the vee did.

Buy a 172 Cup, if you don't care about the newness, Recaros and exclusivity blah blah and don't need TC, ESP, ABS or AC blah blah, it's the sensible choice. The 172 Cup is the true original Cup and has a great power/weight, a real old school hot hatch. Now forget all that and buy the Trophy.

M

M7CUO_V6

I wouldn't say old skool but, no what your saying, all the gadgets would be nice but an extra £6K??

BMX
I've got a Trophy and a V6 255. I used to also have a 182 cup and I think the Trophy is a better car, not by a huge amount, but definitely better. I think the Trophy will also retain more of its value (percentage wise) than a std cup. Ultimately only you can decide though.

Ironically, another friend of mine has a Trophy and he is now thinking about swapping it for a V6 230. Shame yours has already gone!

Z4 Roadster
whilst the trophy is rarer and has some certainly superb qualities (e.g recaros & ohlins), I dont think that I'd spend double the amount for those things alone - get some coilovers and buckets in the cup and you'll be laughing.

The cup is an excellent car, and I believe is superb value at around £6k. I couldn't find much on the market to beat it at the things it does best - lightweight, good mpg, quick and fun.

The trophy does these things also, but is double the price.

get a cup mate :)

btw - I came from a vx220, which really is a drivers tool, and i've certainly not been disappointed. :)

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring
The Trophy willl keep it's value better then the other RS's though. Yes it will depreciate, but I doubt it'll hit 'Cup' prices for a few years yet.

Also, if you've been driving a Vee, then the Trophy will get you more attention than the Cup, so it depends if you want to keep the head turning factor or not...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
How about meeting halfway and get a 182 cup? :) You get your air con and abs back, but should only set you back say another 2k, and will be newer.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LMAO - better resale values on the Trophy? Of course it does, it's newer after all...but then it'll cost you almost twice what a 172 Cup would.

Buy a 172 Cup for £6k and the most you'll lose in depreciation over say 3 years would be £4k.

Or buy a Trophy for £11k (what do they go for?) and in 3 years time it'll be worth £6k? So you might lose £5k? Which one's better value now?

There's probably little difference between the two I know, but you can only really properly compare resale retention values if you're starting at the same buying price.

I say 172 Cup all the way...but then I would wouldn't I ;)

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
christ. y isnt he on here, he should be an auto mod or somthing just for investing sooo much money in clio lol

M

M7CUO_V6

Quick question..

When i took his cup out for a drive, i was driving it pretty hard as i wanted to check out the performance. When accelerating hard there was a knock just as i changed up a gear as i let the clutch back out.

Could this be an engine mount or something?

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
Quick question..

When i took his cup out for a drive, i was driving it pretty hard as i wanted to check out the performance. When accelerating hard there was a knock just as i changed up a gear as i let the clutch back out.

Could this be an engine mount or something?

Yep sounds like a mount !

I would shy away from this particular cup there are plenty of mint ones out there for this sort of price .

good luck buddy.

LMAO - better resale values on the Trophy? Of course it does, it's newer after all...but then it'll cost you almost twice what a 172 Cup would.

I kind of meant that when the Trophy is the same age, it will be worth more than the 172Cup.

Oh right, I misunderstood. I think the reputation and exclusivity are the reasons it will be worth more at the same age.

BMW E46 330i Touring
What I meant as well, it'll retain value due to the rareness and exclusivity. If Renault had kept Williams 1 as the only Williams, then decent examples would fetch an absolute fortune now.