ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving with a knackered wheel bearing

RB 182 FF
Hi

Ive got a longish journey coming up but my rear whewl bearing is buzzing. I know iam better off replqcong discs but my mate isnt around to help me fit them which means an expensive trip to the garage.

I havent got decent tools so that makes it hard to do it myself really.

How much damage would driving around with it like this cause? If possible i would rather wait till i can get some hekp but if it will cause damage i will either attempt DIY or book it in for repair at a local garage.

Thanks

172 Cup
Hi, just wrecked(not worn) my rear bearing at Bylton Park Track day yesterday. Still did the second half of the day on it and then drove 125 miles home.

Should be ok, but get it sorted asap.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hmmm.... 80mph outside lane, bearing gets so hot that it burns all the grease out and eventually the wheel seizes solid and sends you into a lovely little spin accross all three lanes.

Still, at least you saved some money on labour.

Personally I think you have a death wish if you continue to drive on it. Trust me it will get worst and when you least expect it, the thing will fail.

Im talking from experience. Im driving my stripped out Clio on the M/way, due to the loudness in the cabin I did not hear the symptoms of a damaged rear wheel nearing. On the outside lane, I heard a loud BANG and a knocking noise...I immediately slowed down and pulled over. The rear wheel was read hot to touch and smelt of burning metal. When car was jacked up the wheel wobbled side to side by about an inch (lucky the wheel never fell off). Result was a fine black powder that was the wheel bearing and a damaged stud axle that can only be sourced from Renault. Great day that was, esp as I was well over 100miles from home.

Black Sheep
The job its self is not very hard mate. Get a set of Mintex discs with the bearings pressed in. £69 from a motor factors

Jack up on rear axle stands if you have them.

Remove wheels

Slacken the handbrake cable

Remove the calliper

Undo the hub nut

remove disc

Grease the axle bit and Bolt on new disc to 75nm ( very important )

If you are not gettting new pads give them a sand down.

calliper back on, handbrake tightened.

The handbrake adjuster is located under a heatshield in the centre of the car.

This is how I done it and have not had any problems since.

RB 182 FF
Thanks for the advice all, im going to get some quotes for fitting today! I will sort it at the weekend either myself or at a garage. is it likely the disc could be difficult to get off since the bearing has had it?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not really. It's a stupidly easy job though, so don't let yourself get mugged off on the quotes.

Literally remove discs (including bearings) re-fit discs (including bearings)

330i. E30 Touring.
The job its self is not very hard mate. Get a set of Mintex discs with the bearings pressed in. £69 from a motor factors

Jack up on rear axle stands if you have them.

Remove wheels

Slacken the handbrake cable

Remove the calliper

Undo the hub nut

remove disc

Grease the axle bit and Bolt on new disc to 75nm ( very important )

If you are not gettting new pads give them a sand down.

calliper back on, handbrake tightened.

The handbrake adjuster is located under a heatshield in the centre of the car.

This is how I done it and have not had any problems since.

175nm.

Very important.

Expect no more than an hour's labour, i'd say!

Clio 182
Just had mine done along with new discs and pads! New rear shock and mot and cost me £380, and I already supplied the bearing!

330i. E30 Touring.
Fucccck! You were had!

Rear shock- £50
Rear discs and bearings - £100
Rear pads- £25.
MOT - £40.

No more than an hour's labour for fitting the brakes. Shock is 2 bolts.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Driving on a bust Bearing is ok. Just depends on how badly it's gone.

In the end it will just collapsed, so your rear wheel with just sit in your arch with some serious camber, when you brake it'll make a noise as the caliper pulls the wheel back straight. And if you jacked said wheeel off the floor it will just wobble around on your hub like it wasn't even tightened.

P. S dont forget the spacer washers that sit in your rear hub.

Mental 172 Cup
Don't forget the rear spacer behind the disc. Otherwise you'll be fitting another bearing at the other end of your journey :)

Mental 172 Cup
Driving on a bust Bearing is ok. Just depends on how badly it's gone.

In the end it will just collapsed, so your rear wheel with just sit in your arch with some serious camber, when you brake it'll make a noise as the caliper pulls the wheel back straight. And if you jacked said wheeel off the floor it will just wobble around on your hub like it wasn't even tightened.

P. S dont forget the spacer washers that sit in your rear hub.

LMAO.

Damn why didn't we just fit knackered bearing to give us camber y0

If the bearing collapses then chances are your wheel will sieze up or it will fall off and rip everything left connected clean out. Change it ASAP..

Black Sheep
175nm.

Very important.

Expect no more than an hour's labour, i'd say!

LOL. I couldn't be certain should have said. I knew someone in the know would put the right setting.

Op do it your self. If it wasn't for me having to slacken the handbrake to get the caliper off.

10 mins per side

Listerine & Poledo
I had new bearings on the rear of the Clio after wondering "what the damn hell is that noise, and why is it only at motorway speeds!!"

A set of pattern bearings were pressed into the old discs and everything was fine.... for about 200 miles, then one of the new bearings totally disintegrated. Went back to the garage that fitted them and they couldn't believe it. The thing came out melted and warped. They made a point to ensure the right torque was used and fresh Nylar (?).

As far as I was made aware, a rear bearing is unlikely to have you slew into a central reservation. A front one, yes, but the worst i was told to accept was unbearable noise.

Mental 172 Cup
I had new bearings on the rear of the Clio after wondering "what the damn hell is that noise, and why is it only at motorway speeds!!"

A set of pattern bearings were pressed into the old discs and everything was fine.... for about 200 miles, then one of the new bearings totally disintegrated. Went back to the garage that fitted them and they couldn't believe it. The thing came out melted and warped. They made a point to ensure the right torque was used and fresh Nylar (?).

As far as I was made aware, a rear bearing is unlikely to have you slew into a central reservation. A front one, yes, but the worst i was told to accept was unbearable noise.

Did they sit the disc spacer on? This is a common mistake made by many as it can stick to the old disc and then when they fit new discs the new bearing won't be lasting long.

If it shat all it's grease out and it seizes up and your doing 80mph down the motorway it will be enough to send you into the central reservation. Try pulling your handbrake up next time your in the fast lane. It'll have the same sort of effect..

Listerine & Poledo
If it shat all it's grease out and it seizes up and your doing 80mph down the motorway it will be enough to send you into the central reservation. Try pulling your handbrake up next time your in the fast lane. It'll have the same sort of effect..

LOL, no, you're alright, I don't want to bust my diff thanks.

Seriously though, when the replacement came out it was literately a charred and melted cage with a couple of ball bearings falling out. They said they'd never heard of it being so bad so quickly.

I did have an MPG drop off, I guess the extra drag on the rear wheel would be one culprit, but it never looked to harpoon me into Armco... maybe i was just lucky though.

RB 182 FF
Ok Hopefully no wheels falling off now - booked in for Saturday 9am quoted 45mins labour at £50p/h. Garage was recommended by a CS user and they let me source the parts. (Genuine Renault £110 delivered tomorrow AM with pads)

I really thought I would get quoted for 2hours so pleased with that.

Thanks for all the advice, definitely got me to bite the bullet and get it done.

182cup & 172 racecar
He'll go far.

All these knobs saying it's fine to drive with a knackered bearing, ffs. You all on crack or similar?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
He'll go far.

All these knobs saying it's fine to drive with a knackered bearing, ffs. You all on crack or similar?

Bristolian crack?

crackj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Listerine & Poledo
He'll go far.

Sorry Tony.

But, honestly, the total wipeout due to bearings never happened to me, but, then, maybe by idea I spotted the issue earlier than some.

182cup & 172 racecar
Sorry Tony.

But, honestly, the total wipeout due to bearings never happened to me, but, then, maybe by idea I spotted the issue earlier than some.

I would try and get home on it, of course I would, but that would be it, plus I would be going very steady.

But to say, it's alright to drive about on it is plain stupid. IMO anyway.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Sorry Tony.

I've seen a mate in a Corsa come a cropper because he had a noise coming from the rear but ignoring it for ages. Was driving down the parkway when one rear wheel came off pitching him sideways followed by the other.
Also had a truck recovered into work because the NSF wheel bearing had let go, removed the wheel to get access to the hub. Removed the hub nut cover and all I had to do to remove the hub was pull out the remaining roller bearings that had just jammed in the hub. Once these were out the hub came off without removing the hib nut.

RB 182 FF
Thanks again all,

For anyone who's interested garage said "BOTH bearings were completely f**cked". I only thought one was buzzing and didint even think it was THAT bad.