ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving in the dark.

MG ZR 1.8
Just a really random thread!

But who else is stunned by on coming cars headlights? I find it really difficult to drive in the dark.

Especially when on a lane/road without street lights.

Titanium 182
Get your eyes tested and make sure there is nothing going on, sounds daft but only full beams really dazzle me

Titanium 182
Don't stare directly in to their headlights, slow down if you can't see the road in front of you because of their lights and just be patient?

Otherwise it might be worth getting your eyesight tested, shouldn't be dazzling you!

Disastra Coupe
Clios aren't low, even of they're decked.

A VX220 on the other hand IS low, a Clio seems like a Range Rover to me lol!

Lol, i had a feeling you'd say you drive something like that. My Saxo was a lot lower than my Clio, also sat lower with the bucket's and that too was bad.

But yes, something like a VX, Elise, MX5 etc would be far worse.

as above, also check the alignment of your headlights maybe they are to low and not covering enough ground making it harder to drive at night?

Try forcing yourself to look at the left side of the road when you see on coming cars, your eyes can get naturally drawn towards headlights

As said above also check your headlights are lighting up the road properly

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I have a bit of a problem driving in the dark, i just try and watch the white lines as a car passes.

never thought it could be my eye sight though. maybe i should get tested too :/

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
DON'T take this as a sexist comment, but I think men and womens eyes work differently in the dark.

Because men tend have a more focused 'tunnel vision' we can block out the oncoming glare somewhat, whereas women tend to get distracted with their 'peripheral vision'.
My gf and mum avoid driving in the dark at all cost for this reason.

MG ZR 1.8
I've got an eye test booked just for a usual check up so that might show something.
I saw these dazzle glasses online they're yellow tinted? But they make you look like a knob.

I don't purposefully stare at the headlights lol, as someone in here said your eyes get drawn to them.

My car is quite low, an I have the seat down as low as it goes I might raise it a bit?

I've just adjusted my headlights up to '4' as I changed my headlight bulbs just now

I appreciate the feedback.

An no I'm not shutting my eyes!

MG ZR 1.8
DON'T take this as a sexist comment, but I think men and womens eyes work differently in the dark.

Because men tend have a more focused 'tunnel vision' we can block out the oncoming glare somewhat, whereas women tend to get distracted with their 'peripheral vision'.
My gf and mum avoid driving in the dark at all cost for this reason.

Dw I didn't see it as sexist :)

Its almost as if everyone has they're full beams on to me.. It's awful.
I might try normal sun glasses.. An just see.

I avoid dark lanes without street lights, Just because I end up going so slowly because I can't see!

Red
My girlfriend has had to get glasses with anti glare coating on them because of this. Blue eyes suffer it more apparently.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you mean, some (a lot of) inconsiderate people drive around with their lights aimed at the sky. Does my head in, looks like full beams.

I've got blue eyes I would say sometimes it can be a pain and sometimes I do have to slow down.

I have 20/20 vision though got a tested about 12months ago next test is due soon.

Hopefully these new m.o.t rules will help out abit. Those aftermarket HID kits are dangerous.

MG ZR 1.8
I know what you mean, some (a lot of) inconsiderate people drive around with their lights aimed at the sky. Does my head in, looks like full beams.

I know it's awful. I usually have mine down slightly just because I know how it effects my vision. I do like to consider other people lol.

I do try and avoid driving in the dark but it can't be helped sometimes I guess

MG ZR 1.8
I've got blue eyes I would say sometimes it can be a pain and sometimes I do have to slow down.

I have 20/20 vision though got a tested about 12months ago next test is due soon.

Hopefully these new m.o.t rules will help out abit. Those aftermarket HID kits are dangerous.

Without sounding dumb. What's blue eyes?

I get this a lot and I have perfect vision, my eyes are blue though so maybe that has something to do with it like Lee suggested. And I find the lights on the Clio terrible at lighting ahead of you compared to other cars I've driven.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I get this a lot and I have perfect vision, my eyes are blue though so maybe that has something to do with it like Lee suggested. And I find the lights on the Clio terrible at lighting ahead of you compared to other cars I've driven.

Adjust them if your car's been lowered!

172 cup
I also struggle with this i wear glasses and get blinded by some cars at night also have blue eyes. i find i slow down quite a bit at night in traffic. I agree about the HDI lights they might be good looking out but i bet they are going to cause a few accidents in time to come.

MG ZR 1.8
HHa! I'm such a knob.
I thought you meant it was like something special with your eyes not just the colour.
I like to think things are more complicated than they are obviously!

I have blue eyes too.. Soo maybe it is something to do with that.

I'll try raising my seat slightly it is on the lowest setting.

MG ZR 1.8

I put bright white lights on mine today an just went out for a small drive just now. It's better cause I can actually see where I'm going compared to the standard bulbs.

Rs 200 Raider
Another way is close one eye when you see lights coming in e distance, it will keep your night vision working and your eyes will adjust back quicker. It definitely works. Military trick!

Titanium 182
My contact lenses have anti glare in them, pretty good really never get glare of roads or headlights

I have this problem. My eyes are perfect but I just struggle with night driving. Spanish roads don't help.

MG ZR 1.8
Close one eye? I'll give it a go.

Those contacts sound good.

But as Kane, my eye site is perfect, I can see brilliantly. Just not at night